• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:29

If facebook buys it that will be the end of it. They will fill it up with ads and destroy it.

#17 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• 2,513 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:35

I prefer Kik Messenger because of its looks (http://kik.com/) than WhatsApp to be honest :p

#18 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:50

If this was to happen the first thing I'd do (before they get taken over) is email whatsapp and demand all my data was securely erased.

Why? What do you expect Facebook to do with your data?

#19 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,442 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:53

Aren't unlimited texts a standard now for most contracts? Why bother with apps when you can have a native, well integrated experience?

I personally hate having logs in 20 places...
Not to mention WhatsApp cannot be trusted.

Glassed Silver:ios

Naw man, If I want unlimited text I have to pay $5 plus tax and that's not including mms, which cost around $0.50 to send.
iMessage has been a saviour in that sense for me and my other half, but not all my buddies have an iDevice, so whatsapp does leverage that situation.
Vs. Kik, Voxer, liveprofile, IMO whatsapp is the more streamlined according to the OS, they usually update the software individually ( Eg, builds for iOS, android and WP have different release dates), then there's battery life, which from my tests, whatsapp uses less. Not to mention, almost everyone I know has whatsapp :p

Though not perfect, they should add confirmation status, if you don't want a person to message you, the only workaround atm is adding that number and then blocking.
So perhaps a little bit of cash income is needed to hire more developers.

#20 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 120,338 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:55

I used it for a bit to chat with someone from Turkey but didn't like it :/

#21 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:28

Why? What do you expect Facebook to do with your data?

Business.

#22 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

• 5,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:38

This was seen coming. WhatsApp currently as I know does not have any revenue going for it (as a sole company; if the devs have money (former Yahoo) then that's why its still up) and sooner or later it was going to have to either be put for sale or charged as a product (only iOS people pay once for it)

Android also pay an annual fee after the initial free period. I recently paid $2 for another year of use.

#23 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,866 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:38

its not free on WP actually. Free for 1 year then 99p a year after. i know i know 99p hahaha but still not totally free :D

#24 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:47

Aren't unlimited texts a standard now for most contracts? Why bother with apps when you can have a native, well integrated experience?

I personally hate having logs in 20 places...
Not to mention WhatsApp cannot be trusted.

Glassed Silver:ios

Not for international contacts... And well, mine is a company phone. Unlimited data but a very limited number of texts. So, yeah.
I use Viber, though... WhatsApp started crashing all the time after about 6 months of using it :s

#25 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,702 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:49

Yeah IOS is 99 cents in usa. It not bad price and it is great to talk to international peeps on sms. plus i do not need to pay extra 10$ a month to send texts unlimited.

#26 vetAndrew Lyle

Andrew Lyle

Don't Panic!

• 31,914 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:59

Whatsapp might get reliable servers lol. This will be a good move to sell, they apparently have issues updating and keeping the service stable.

#27 OP einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:39

An acquisition by Facebook would bug me.

Whatsapp may become free, but then chances are that we will get served advertisements, sponsored links, and all of this ****ty things. I do not wish that. I am fine with the current business model, something that Facebook still lacks, honestly.

I already try to keep my presence on Facebook to a minimum:
  • I do not want Whatsapp messages and Facebook messages to somehow merge. Facebook is Facebook. My life in the real world with real interaction with people, that is mine. I do not need my conversation to end up on Facebook somehow.
  • I do not want Whatsapp to stop encrypting and not storing messages. Facebook will process and store messages sent, and I do not need that. I use SMS/iMessage/Whatsapp for a reason. They are not Facebook. They are not data mining. They are not tracking me. And they are not serving me crap.
I hope that this will not come true, but, honestly, in the end, money will probably talk. Let us see how this goes, and whether or not it comes to fruition.

#28 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

• 13,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:05

Business.

Of course. I'm just curious as to what he deems a problem with that :)

#29 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,369 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:30

Of course. I'm just curious as to what he deems a problem with that :)

Sell it? Refuse to delete it (which they are legally obliged to do)? Use it for marketing? Add it to various databases?
Loads of things and I don't trust that company.

#30 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,263 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:35

Android also pay an annual fee after the initial free period. I recently paid $2 for another year of use.

They actually charged you? I'm something like 2+ years into my free 1 year trial now, everytime it gets close to the expiry date it gets extended for some reason. I'm mean the subscription fee isn't that bad, I'll pay it but if they are going to keep extending my trial period who am I to argue? :p :laugh: