Photo

Got a Lumia 920: My thoughts after 48hrs

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#16 SuperKRad

SuperKRad

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:15

I have this phone. Let the battery drain all the way to 0%, then charge it all the way up to full. For whatever reason, a LOT of people report this helps the battery, and I have now gotten two full days of charge with the phone under light usage, and at least 24 hours with regular usage.

#17 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:16

...the Windows App store is empty as far as good, useful apps is concerned (but that is not Nokia's fault).

Sorry but that's just ridiculous. There are in excess of 120,000 apps in the marketplace and the numbers are increasing every day. The majority of "must have" apps are accounted for or a suitable alternative can be found. It may have fewer apps than iOS or Android but the quality of apps in the WP Marketplace are generally higher than Google Play and the Marketplace isn't riddled with trial versions which add nothing but boost the iOS/Android app count. For that last reason alone the WP Marketplace will always be smaller than the competition but it's better for it.

Your minimum specs are ridiculous too. I'd rather spend money on innovative features like the display or the camera on the Lumia 920 than faster processors and extra RAM which are only needed because the software on your Note 2 hasn't been optimised for the hardware.

#18 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:18

I have this phone. Let the battery drain all the way to 0%, then charge it all the way up to full. For whatever reason, a LOT of people report this helps the battery, and I have now gotten two full days of charge with the phone under light usage, and at least 24 hours with regular usage.

That's pretty much what I'm seeing.

Also, turn of location awareness for apps like "Angry Birds Roost" and other such stuff.

#19 sagum

sagum

Unicorn Doctor

• Phone: LG E900 & Lumia` 610/520/920

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:21

I can deal with the speaker phone issues, but get an alarm clock if you rely on your phone to wake you up.

I haven't really thought about it until now. But even though I only made the switch to a smart phone less then 2 year ago, I've been using my dumb mobile phone as an alarm since around 2000-1ish time.

With my windows phone, I've got my calendar shared with my girlfriend, so she can add events and chance my alerts and I use the calendar as my alarm (socially enabled if you will..) The battery life has never been amazing on my LG 900 but I came from a Nokia 3210 with a battery life of about ..forever and a day, but still I've gotten into the habit of putting my phone on charge next to my bad, where it'll wirelessly sync to my PC, charge and then wake me up in the morning.

As for the OP's annoyance with the lack of apps.. That should be solved sooner rather then later now that windows 8 is released. More developers will see how easy it is to create apps and can try windows phone development, cross over is very simple to do.. and to top it off, Microsoft recently had marketplace developer access for £8 so there is little reason for developers not to have signed up to develop and push their apps/games out.

#20 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:30

Sorry but that's just ridiculous. There are in excess of 120,000 apps in the marketplace and the numbers are increasing every day. The majority of "must have" apps are accounted for or a suitable alternative can be found. It may have fewer apps than iOS or Android but the quality of apps in the WP Marketplace are generally higher than Google Play and the Marketplace isn't riddled with trial versions which add nothing but boost the iOS/Android app count. For that last reason alone the WP Marketplace will always be smaller than the competition but it's better for it.

Your minimum specs are ridiculous too. I'd rather spend money on innovative features like the display or the camera on the Lumia 920 than faster processors and extra RAM which are only needed because the software on your Note 2 hasn't been optimised for the hardware.

I have to agree with Scorbing with the apps comment. Yes, WP apps are high quality, but quality of apps on Android has vastly improved, as the dev. support boosted the quantity of apps. I would say Android is up there with iOS in terms of quality. I can't get even basic games/apps from Windows phone that I can with Android and iOS. The experience is totally different, and apps certainly do make/break the platform. From what I have seen of the Note 2, it's a fairly smooth experience, but then again, I haven't had a non-smooth experience in JB...

#21 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:30

1. Those specs I posted, like you said, are the minimum I would accept, and why "ridiculous"? There aren't that many Quad Core phones out there yet. They are just now beginning to pop up. Most are dual core.

2. Just because my Note software is not optimized for my hardware doesn't mean it will not be. At least I know my Note 2 can take anything I throw at it 2 years from now with the hardware its got. Things will get better and better. There is no turning back for Android now that the Apple ship is on creativity trouble.

3. The Windows app store is growing yes, but it doesn't have anything really useful.

#22 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:04

1. Those specs I posted, like you said, are the minimum I would accept, and why "ridiculous"? There aren't that many Quad Core phones out there yet. They are just now beginning to pop up. Most are dual core.

2. Just because my Note software is not optimized for my hardware doesn't mean it will not be. At least I know my Note 2 can take anything I throw at it 2 years from now with the hardware its got. Things will get better and better. There is no turning back for Android now that the Apple ship is on creativity trouble.

3. The Windows app store is growing yes, but it doesn't have anything really useful.

They're ridiculous because you're effectively paying for hardware that your phone doesn't take advantage of effectively. You're paying for a phone with tomorrow's hardware and yesterday's software and the chances of your phone receiving meaningful updates in a year let alone two years is exceedingly slim.

The Windows app store has more than enough really useful apps. Also many of the most useful such as Office come built into WP so there's no need for a separate app.

I'm pleased that you like your Note 2 and it's obvious that the WP Marketplace has to gain a bit more support from notable developers but there's no need to overstate your case. Most people will find exactly what they want or an identical alternative in the WP Marketplace.

#23 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:13

They're ridiculous because you're effectively paying for hardware that your phone doesn't take advantage of effectively. You're paying for a phone with tomorrow's hardware and yesterday's software and the chances of your phone receiving meaningful updates in a year let alone two years is exceedingly slim.

The Windows app store has more than enough really useful apps. Also many of the most useful such as Office come built into WP so there's no need for a separate app.

I'm pleased that you like your Note 2 and it's obvious that the WP Marketplace has to gain a bit more support from notable developers but there's no need to overstate your case. Most people will find exactly what they want or an identical alternative in the WP Marketplace.

Well my Note 2 software may not support the hardware fully yet, but this is very simple my friend:

Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

#24 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:14

Thank you for the review/thread. I have (and enjoy) my Titan II with WP7. When the time comes to upgrade I'll be looking for "the" WP8 device. So all you trailblazers are helping me out. I was looking at the 920 and am leaning toward Nokia... but by the time I am ready there will probably be better phones and WP8 will probably be updated at least once.

#25 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:48

Thank you for the review/thread. I have (and enjoy) my Titan II with WP7. When the time comes to upgrade I'll be looking for "the" WP8 device. So all you trailblazers are helping me out. I was looking at the 920 and am leaning toward Nokia... but by the time I am ready there will probably be better phones and WP8 will probably be updated at least once.

There seem to be rumors of a titan III in the works with WP8 so when the time comes I wouldn't be surprised if you just moved right up to that from your titan II, unless it doesn't come true.

I;ve got a blue 8X and I love it, I twaked the settings a bit, turned nfc off and so on and I can get a full day off of it same as my old wp7 device. And it's got a smaller battery than the 920, so really you should let the battery drain as low as can and then charge it up full to get the most out of it like others have said.

#26 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:48

I had read about the phone before buying it. Nothing has been a deal breaker really and plan on keeping the phone. Had considered a Galaxy SIII, but its been out for a while now and there are rumblings about the S4. That plus what I've heard about Samsung's upgrade support were enough for me to drop it from consideration.

#27 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:54

I do actually use my phone as an alarm, and it works great. These speakers are pretty loud, so I am not sure if that is just your phone or what... And I am deaf in one ear, so there is that. :rofl:

The battery life, after about 2 weeks now of having it is tolerable. Really isn't any different than my Galaxy S, maybe slightly less time. I just hate how you cannot, obviously, swap a spare battery.

#28 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:58

Does the 920 not have two speakers like the 8X (front/back)? Can't seem to locate that on its spec sheets.

#29 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:02

Does the 920 not have two speakers like the 8X (front/back)? Can't seem to locate that on its spec sheets.

The speakers are actually on the bottom of the phone, where the charger plug is. That does bother me, considering when you hold the phone sideways, playing a game or something, you end up covering the speakers with your hands.

#30 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:27

I prefer the 'cupping' method on my Focus for phat bass. :p (Its a single rear speaker too)