Got a Lumia 920: My thoughts after 48hrs

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#31 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:31

Don't worry about charging it every night, that's best practice for these phones. I've been doing that to my trophy for a year and the battery life is getting better, not worse. I used to top it off in the afternoon, now I don't worry about it.

#32 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:33

Don't worry about charging it every night, that's best practice for these phones. I've been doing that to my trophy for a year and the battery life is getting better, not worse. I used to top it off in the afternoon, now I don't worry about it.

No, battery life won't get better after a year. If you charge your smartphone everyday, battery life will deteriorate over time. This is true for any Lithium-ion battery.

#33 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:48

Some here suggested disabling NFC. Where's the setting located on the 920?

#34 chrisl

chrisl

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Omnia 7

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:49

Is the battery issue on the Lumia 920 a US thing? Got mine a couple of weeks ago and the battery was fine straight out of the box (I'm in the UK). The volume in the earpiece is fine, only issue I have with volume is the ring volume seems quite low but to combat this I just turned it up a bit.

The windows store may lack some of the apps that iOS and Android have but the inbuilt office trumps all of that for me.

When I first got the phone it did seem heavy but I soon got used to it, although if I pick up my g/f's Omnia 7 you can definitely tell the Lumia has quite a bit of heft to it.

The camera is brilliant.

Overall very happy with it.

#35 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:14

Having to charge the battery nightly is pretty much across the board standard with most smartphones. iPhones and maybe Samsung Galaxy Note 2's being the small exception of phones where light use might get you through 2 days. I can go 2 days between charges on my iPhone, but I charge it pretty much every evening regardless if it is only down to 70%.

If you are coming from a feature phone then you will see a dramatic difference in battery life, no doubt. I remember my last feature phone I could go 4-5 days before charging.

As far as wearing out the battery goes, charging it nightly should be fine. The battery life will degrade but I think it should get you through 3 years of use without needing to be changed. What would be detrimental to the battery is letting it discharge fully or charging it in elevated temperatures (like leaving it on the charger in your vehicle on a hot summer day).

#36 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:33

Hmm....I was just about to reply with my 920, and it just rebooted by itself. I've read of this happening to other people. Software glitch or hardware problem?

#37 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:43

I can deal with the speaker phone issues, but get an alarm clock if you rely on your phone to wake you up.

I use my 920 as my main alarm. It's plenty loud. Music player however leaves a lot to be desired and phone volume on speaker could be louder. it can be fixed with an update since other apps are quite audible from a distance.

#38 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:03

Having to charge the battery nightly is pretty much across the board standard with most smartphones. iPhones and maybe Samsung Galaxy Note 2's being the small exception of phones where light use might get you through 2 days. I can go 2 days between charges on my iPhone, but I charge it pretty much every evening regardless if it is only down to 70%.

If you are coming from a feature phone then you will see a dramatic difference in battery life, no doubt. I remember my last feature phone I could go 4-5 days before charging.

As far as wearing out the battery goes, charging it nightly should be fine. The battery life will degrade but I think it should get you through 3 years of use without needing to be changed. What would be detrimental to the battery is letting it discharge fully or charging it in elevated temperatures (like leaving it on the charger in your vehicle on a hot summer day).

My phone last max 5 days.... on 2g networks (RAZRi)

#39 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:12

This was on TV tonight...

http://gadgetshow.ch...end-smartphones

#40 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:40

Just an update: Everything is going well with the phone. The only issue that's really bothering me at this point is that it suffers from the random reboot issue. I've reversed all the changes I made in the device settings, and uninstalled all extra applications that I put on after purchase. So far, no more reboots. I hope Microsoft pushes a fix for this problem this month, like they're claiming.

#41 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:10

I dunno about the 920 but my 8X hasn't rebooted at all since I got it over a week now. I've also installed a good deal of apps and games etc so I don't think it's a specific app problem but more of a quirky firmware/driver problem that should get fixed soon.

#42 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:31

I dunno about the 920 but my 8X hasn't rebooted at all since I got it over a week now. I've also installed a good deal of apps and games etc so I don't think it's a specific app problem but more of a quirky firmware/driver problem that should get fixed soon.

I predict the fix will get pushed just before Christmas day.

#43 Bizkit

Bizkit

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:09

Battery life is always a tricky thing. I had the original HTC Incredible, and it lasted me about 6 hours listening to podcasts from the phone. There are LOTS of tricks to extending the battery: turn off LTE if your not using the phone much, turn off NFC, turn off auto sync or updates on apps you don't care about, stuff like that.

Even after those tricks, don't be surprised if you have to charge it every night. Welcome to the world of smartphones.

#44 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:19

Nfc is under tap & send

also having Nokia drive running in the background is known to cause battery issues.

#45 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:13

UPDATE: I'm having battery drain problems. My wife also has a 920. Charged them both to 100%, mirrored settings/apps on each and left them on over night (screen off). As of this morning, her phone has 96% battery left and mine was @ 71%, so its not my imagination.The day before, it ****ed away nearly half its charge in 10hrs being on standby with no use at all. Phone won't make it through half a day if I actually used it at this point.

Also, Her phone also has the following apps enabled:

Screen brightness = Auto
Tap/Send =on
Nokia Drive background tasks = on
Wi-Fi =on
4G-LTE (can't be disabled on At&t)
location =on
Weather Channel background tasks = on

*Mine has an XBL account, but I've already tried disabling its connection and it makes no difference in battery life.

I've been told to let the phone die, then charge to max, turn off all background tasks, disable Nokia Drive etc. and while I appreciate everyone's help, I believe these tips are simply myths. Basically whats being suggested is to increase battery life by disabling every feature of the phone and don't use it. The more likely scenario here is that a certain number of phones have shipped with faulty batteries. I'm going to swap mine out for another 920 tomorrow if I come home today and see the phones eaten through its battery again. It was on 65% @ 6am when I left, so we'll see....

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!