Photo

Got a Lumia 920: My thoughts after 48hrs

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#46 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:17

Well.....I think I'm done. The phone has been on standby for 9.5 hours and has drained itself from 65% down to 13%. This thing has lost 52% of its charge doing nothing but sitting around, unused with the screen off. No one has called it or touched it. Absolutely unacceptable! Life is too short to dick around with a phone and I'm not entirely sure I'm getting another 920 seeing as how my local walmart is completely out and none are in transit, meaning it could be awhile. They told me I could keep it beyond the 14 days and exchange it when more arrived, but given the wide-spread nature of this problem, I might get another dud. Besides, why hang onto a phone I can't even use? Love WP8 as a platform and would love the phone if I could use it, but MS and Nokia need to get their act together and address this!

That Samsung Galaxy SIII is looking pretty good right about now. I know they'll probably abandon it update-wise by summer but what the hell. At least I can swap the battery if it decides to act like this phone.

#47 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:21

I'm not having that issue.

I went 1 day 10 hours from 85% -> 10% with medium to heavy usage.

The big thing you can do to improve battery life is turn off location aware for applications that don't need it (i.e. Angry Birds). Also turn off background permissions for those kinds of apps.

Mine's running nicely :\

#48 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:22

That Samsung Galaxy SIII is looking pretty good right about now. I know they'll probably abandon it update-wise by summer but what the hell. At least I can swap the battery if it decides to act like this phone.

Even if they officially abandon it, custom roms usually go 2+ years or more !

#49 the420kid

the420kid

Neowinian

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:27

so glad I went with the Nexus 4!!

and as a Surface user I can attest to the empty app marketplace.

#50 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:31

I'm not having that issue.

I went 1 day 10 hours from 85% -> 10% with medium to heavy usage.

The big thing you can do to improve battery life is turn off location aware for applications that don't need it (i.e. Angry Birds). Also turn off background permissions for those kinds of apps.

Mine's running nicely :\

But as mentioned, my wife has the exact same phone with all that crap enabled and she's not having any problems with battery drain.

#51 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:36

UPDATE: I'm having battery drain problems. My wife also has a 920. Charged them both to 100%, mirrored settings/apps on each and left them on over night (screen off). As of this morning, her phone has 96% battery left and mine was @ 71%, so its not my imagination.The day before, it ****ed away nearly half its charge in 10hrs being on standby with no use at all. Phone won't make it through half a day if I actually used it at this point.

Also, Her phone also has the following apps enabled:

Screen brightness = Auto
Tap/Send =on
Nokia Drive background tasks = on
Wi-Fi =on
4G-LTE (can't be disabled on At&t)
location =on
Weather Channel background tasks = on

*Mine has an XBL account, but I've already tried disabling its connection and it makes no difference in battery life.

I've been told to let the phone die, then charge to max, turn off all background tasks, disable Nokia Drive etc. and while I appreciate everyone's help, I believe these tips are simply myths. Basically whats being suggested is to increase battery life by disabling every feature of the phone and don't use it. The more likely scenario here is that a certain number of phones have shipped with faulty batteries. I'm going to swap mine out for another 920 tomorrow if I come home today and see the phones eaten through its battery again. It was on 65% @ 6am when I left, so we'll see....

One thing that I can tell which will increase the battery life is to turn off NFC. Since NFC usage is basically non-existant here in the states, why leave it on if you are not going to use it.

#52 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:46

One thing that I can tell which will increase the battery life is to turn off NFC. Since NFC usage is basically non-existant here in the states, why leave it on if you are not going to use it.

I understand what you're saying but again, wife has same phone with same settings is getting dramatically better life with all this stuff enabled. I disable everything and can't even get close to what she's getting with all the battery sapping stuff on.

#53 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:50

If NFC is an issue, it is an issue with the phone and software/hardware. On my S3, I have always had NFC turned on so me and my girl can easily share what we want between our S3's, and my battery , even on heavy use, last at least 15 hours.

I understand what you're saying but again, wife has same phone with same settings is getting dramatically better life with all this stuff enabled. I disable everything and can't even get close to what she's getting with all the battery sapping stuff on.

Maybe it is a bad battery.

#54 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:53

Then if you aren't happy with it...take it back to the store. But quit your complaining. It seems that no amount of tweaking on the phone is going to get a better battery life and no amount of anything is going to make you happy. It may be that this phone is defective....cause that never happens with the iPhone or any droid phone. Just my $0.02 opinion.

If NFC is an issue, it is an issue with the phone and software/hardware. On my S3, I have always had NFC turned on so me and my girl can easily share what we want between our S3's, and my battery , even on heavy use, last at least 15 hours.

Maybe it is a bad battery.

It's already known that there are some software bugs in WP8 on the 920....hell read the forums over at wpcentral. That is what apollo+ or whatever it is called is hopefully going to fix.

#55 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:14

But as mentioned, my wife has the exact same phone with all that crap enabled and she's not having any problems with battery drain.

Have both your phones received the latest updates from Nokia? In particular, have you received the network+ update as there have been reports that that fixes the battery life issue.

I received my Lumia 920 on Saturday, it received all the latest updates on Sunday and I'm very happy with the battery life. It's not scientific but I estimate that the battery is lasting about 30% longer than my old Omnia 7.

#56 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:45

so glad I went with the Nexus 4!!

and as a Surface user I can attest to the empty app marketplace.

That's the only thing I have against the Windows experience. A year from now things will probably be much different.

#57 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:40

Have both your phones received the latest updates from Nokia? In particular, have you received the network+ update as there have been reports that that fixes the battery life issue.

I received my Lumia 920 on Saturday, it received all the latest updates on Sunday and I'm very happy with the battery life. It's not scientific but I estimate that the battery is lasting about 30% longer than my old Omnia 7.

I got some updates to various Nokia apps the day I got it, but nothing since. Manually checked for updates and it says everything is up to date. How can you tell if the update has been applied? Are you on At&t?

#58 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:09

Then if you aren't happy with it...take it back to the store. But quit your complaining. It seems that no amount of tweaking on the phone is going to get a better battery life and no amount of anything is going to make you happy. It may be that this phone is defective....cause that never happens with the iPhone or any droid phone. Just my $0.02 opinion.

It's already known that there are some software bugs in WP8 on the 920....hell read the forums over at wpcentral. That is what apollo+ or whatever it is called is hopefully going to fix.

Its not so much complaining as it is sharing of info on things I've tried and yes, I'm aware defective hardware comes from all vendors. I've pretty much accepted that the phones's going back. Just for the hell of it though, I've disabled everything and I mean everything and its now a dumbphone. Going to make a call and see how much the battery drops.

#59 OP AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:27

Disabling everything produced some good results. Only a 7% reduction in charge over night. Enabled Wi-Fi only and will see what that does to it while I'm @ work. I'll keep enabling things one at a time till I find the culprit and report back.

#60 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:52

I can't be sure, but my mate gets LTE on his, and it lasts him from something like 6am - 7pm with regular use.

I think people expect too much out of phone batteries, I still see comments on here of people wanting more than 24 hours of life out of one charge. Ridiculous expectations are always going to end in disappointment.