Photo

Finally Placed My Order For An SSD From Crucial.Com.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#16 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Apple Developer Program + Ubuntu Tester

• Phone: Apple IPhone 5 Running IOS 6.1 Beta 3!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:46

Looks like I have a bit of a Problem! In order to get a Head Start on things, I read my Mid Year 2010 Mac Mini Owner's Manuel! What it said in there was a little Shocking, it said only the RAM is designed to be easily Removed by the Customer to Upgrade the Mac. So I decided to skip the rest of the Line 0 Operation, Power Down the Mac, Unplug the Mac, and Open Up the Mac Mini, sure enough, the Hard Drive is Locked in there Tight with Divits, NOT Screws! It just plain does NOT come out of there! As a result, it looks like I am going to have to use this SSD Externally rather than Internally! :-(

#17 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:56

http://www.ifixit.co...lacement/3113/1

read that...its replaceable...you just need a torx screwdriver...

and you still over paid :p lol...you can easily get a top of the line SSD for under $1.00/GB

#18 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:59

^ yep, ifixit is your friend when it comes to replacing things in macs :)

also, wow, i forgot how much different and bigger the 2010 model looked over the last couple models

#19 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:52

http://www.ifixit.co...lacement/3113/1

read that...its replaceable...you just need a torx screwdriver...

and you still over paid :p lol...you can easily get a top of the line SSD for under $1.00/GB

Excuse me but: Did you or did you NOT read my Correction on the Price of the Drive in a later post? It's $123.99 for 128 GB SSD! Just FYI!

#20 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:36

I also notice that using Trim is NOT exactly approved by Apple according to 1 of those 2 Links you guys provided me, but it looks like I have no choice if I want my SSD to continue to function normally. I have now downloaded 10.8.2 from the Mac App Store and have it ready to put it on the SSD when it gets here (I put 10.7.5 back on my Internal Hard Drive seeing how it can't be removed).

#21 Farchord

Farchord

Life is but a sum of your achievements

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:56

I also notice that using Trim is NOT exactly approved by Apple according to 1 of those 2 Links you guys provided me, but it looks like I have no choice if I want my SSD to continue to function normally. I have now downloaded 10.8.2 from the Mac App Store and have it ready to put it on the SSD when it gets here (I put 10.7.5 back on my Internal Hard Drive seeing how it can't be removed).

TRIM is supported by apple, but only on Apple's own SSDs, it doesn't care about third parties.

#22 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:08

TRIM isn't necessary, most controllers do some sort of garage collection without it. And yes, the hard drive is removable, you just need a Torx screwdriver, Apple loves to use them.

#23 Xenomorph

Xenomorph

Gerbil Warlord

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:15

Crucial has horrible firmware problems and made it to "DO NOT BUY" lists.

#24 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:23

(I put 10.7.5 back on my Internal Hard Drive seeing how it can't be removed).

that is still incorrect

#25 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:24

TRIM is a garbage collection feature to stop the SSD from filling up with crap and slowing down becuase alot of controllers dont do it themselves. The sandforce controllers do though. Not sure if the newer controllers from different manufacturers do or not but Win 7 has it built in so all good with that. As regards to macs i havnt got a clue which is probably why you need to install some software or something to enable it.

SSD's are like fast as hell compared to mechanical drives so youll be good.

Oh and to the partition thing you just create one to make the space usable, all HD's start out like that when new.

#26 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:44

UPDATE: Just received the package a little while ago (Already have Mountain Lion Installed on it with the 10.8.3 Beta on it) and it turns out that this is an External SSD! It came with an SATA to USB Adapter, so this device is designed to be used Externally! Works fine, it even came with today's newly released Firmware of 040H on it! Just FYI!

#27 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:47

UPDATE: Just received the package a little while ago (Already have Mountain Lion Installed on it with the 10.8.3 Beta on it) and it turns out that this is an External SSD! It came with an SATA to USB Adapter, so this device is designed to be used Externally! Works fine, it even came with today's newly released Firmware of 040H on it! Just FYI!

Correct me if I'm wrong: Your using an external drive for your OS?

#28 OP kevpan815

kevpan815

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:47

I would also note that from the size of the Drive itself, it is too big to be used Internally anyways. I do have a problem however, do to the fact that this is an External SSD, Trim is NOT Working! Apparently it can NOT Detect the SSD! Any Suggestions on how to fix this problem?

#29 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:50

They're just trying to con you into buying their overpriced drives. Enabling TRIM won't damage your system at all.

#30 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:54

I would also note that from the size of the Drive itself, it is too big to be used Internally anyways. I do have a problem however, do to the fact that this is an External SSD, Trim is NOT Working! Apparently it can NOT Detect the SSD! Any Suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Get an internal SSD?

You can't just expect to use an external drive as your main drive. Wipe the one you have, and take it back. Get this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147137

Alternatively you can use the secondary one for data backup.