A California woman who served poisonous mushrooms to residents of an elder-care home has been barred for life from working in such facilities after four people died, state officials said Thursday.
An investigation by the California Department of Social Services found that Lilia Tirdea, the home's caretaker, failed to apply state standards by serving "foraged mushrooms" to five residents.
Tirdea "constitutes a threat to the health and safety of the clients," the report said.
Four people died, and two fell ill, including Tirdea, after eating mushroom gravy in early November, the report said. Investigators previously referred to the dish as soup.
The report cleared the owner of Gold Age Villa, Raisa Oselsky, who will be allowed to keep her license.