2012 Mayan apocalypse rumors have dark side

NASA scientists took time on Wednesday, Nov. 28, to soothe 2012 doomsday fears, warning against the dark side of Mayan apocalypse rumors ? frightened children and suicidal teens who truly fear the world may come to an end Dec. 21.

These fears are based on misinterpretations of the Mayan calendar. On the 21st, the date of the winter solstice, a calendar cycle called the 13th b'ak'tun comes to an end. Although Maya scholars agree that the ancient Maya would not have seen this day as apocalyptic, rumors have spread that a cosmic event may end life on Earth on that day.

Thus NASA's involvement. The space agency maintains a 2012 information page debunking popular Mayan apocalypse rumors, such as the idea that a rogue planet will hit Earth on Dec. 21, killing everyone. (In fact, astronomers are quite good at detecting near-Earth objects, and any wandering planet scheduled to collide with Earth in three weeks would be the brightest object in the sky behind the sun and moon by now.)

"There is no true issue here," David Morrison, an astrobiologist at NASA Ames Research Center, said during a NASA Google+ Hangout event. "This is just a manufactured fantasy."

more

• Like 2

Well there will be a collision on December 21 2012 but it wont be Nibiru impacting with Earth rather reality impacting with believers of this rubbish.

Oh well better just wait it out at this stage, Just remember that the very people who were accused of hiding the truth were in fact the ones telling the truth all along :rolleyes:

• Like 1

"I think it's evil for people to propagate rumors on the Internet to frighten children," Morrison said.

?

I didn't know people did that to frighten children. Hmmm... perhaps I should hide my copy of the original (translated to english, of course) Grimm's Fairy Tales. Those are pretty horrific. Shoot, even Mrs. Piggle Wiggle has some scary stories.

If the governments of the world knew that they world was coming to an end tomorrow, they would be crazy to say it. The panic would reach hysteria level in minutes.

• Like 2

people seem to forget the fact that that date on the mayan calendar would have technically happened around March of this year because of leap year that we added in that the mayans didn't do on their calendar

Wait, there's people that don't believe the world is ending on the 21st?! Hah, suckers! I'm spending all my money now and going out with a bang!!

people seem to forget the fact that that date on the mayan calendar would have technically happened around March of this year because of leap year that we added in that the mayans didn't do on their calendar

The Mayan calendar was based on actual days and not solar cycles like our Gregorian calendar is.

So with that said, leap days were irrelevant to the Mayans and Dec. 21st is still technically correct.

Whoever created that Facebook "myth" that went around wasn't very bright. ;)

Are you being serious?

Of course they didn't count leap years, because it's not based on our calendar....

Do you think that the calendar literally says Dec. 21, 2012??.

Are you being serious?

Of course they didn't count leap years, because it's not based on our calendar....

Do you think that the calendar literally says Dec. 21, 2012??.

that's the whole point, going by their calendar, for us it would of happened around march because of the changes we've made

that's the whole point, going by their calendar, for us it would of happened around march because of the changes we've made

Wow you are really being serious...

The date Dec. 21, 2012 was calculated by MODERN archaeologist based on the Mayans calendar, no the other way around...how the Mayans would know of this thing called year 2012? , just think....

It's already been done. There was a conversion from Mayan to Gregorian calendar and that date came to be Dec 21st. Leap days have already been accounted for.

Sad thing is, these people believe in a cover up, but I have not seen a new planet or star in the night skies, or have felt any strange gravitational pulls that would be associated with a close encounter... Have you?

Seriously, look the frak up. There's nothing there. No Nibiru. Sorry.

• Like 2

ok then, tell me, didn't some scientists find a larger Mayan calendar? or was my friend pulling my leg on that one too? (this is what i get for not doing my own research on it :pinch: )

Sad thing is, these people believe in a cover up, but I have not seen a new planet or star in the night skies, or have felt any strange gravitational pulls that would be associated with a close encounter... Have you?

Seriously, look the frak up. There's nothing there. No Nibiru. Sorry.

Take a cheep camera and point it at the sun... NIBIRUuuuuuu!!!1!1!