• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:52

Wait, there's people that don't believe the world is ending on the 21st?! Hah, suckers! I'm spending all my money now and going out with a bang!!

#17 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:56

people seem to forget the fact that that date on the mayan calendar would have technically happened around March of this year because of leap year that we added in that the mayans didn't do on their calendar

The Mayan calendar was based on actual days and not solar cycles like our Gregorian calendar is.
So with that said, leap days were irrelevant to the Mayans and Dec. 21st is still technically correct.

Whoever created that Facebook "myth" that went around wasn't very bright. ;)

#18 oliver182

oliver182

Neowinian

• 419 posts
  • Phone: Alcatel OneTouch Idol Ultra

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:57

people seem to forget the fact that that date on the mayan calendar would have technically happened around March of this year because of leap year that we added in that the mayans didn't do on their calendar

Are you being serious?

Of course they didn't count leap years, because it's not based on our calendar....

Do you think that the calendar literally says Dec. 21, 2012??.

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,538 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 December 2012 - 17:59

Are you being serious?

Of course they didn't count leap years, because it's not based on our calendar....

Do you think that the calendar literally says Dec. 21, 2012??.

that's the whole point, going by their calendar, for us it would of happened around march because of the changes we've made

#20 oliver182

oliver182

Neowinian

• 419 posts
  • Phone: Alcatel OneTouch Idol Ultra

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:04

that's the whole point, going by their calendar, for us it would of happened around march because of the changes we've made

Wow you are really being serious...

The date Dec. 21, 2012 was calculated by MODERN archaeologist based on the Mayans calendar, no the other way around...how the Mayans would know of this thing called year 2012? , just think....

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:05

It's already been done. There was a conversion from Mayan to Gregorian calendar and that date came to be Dec 21st. Leap days have already been accounted for.

#22 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,208 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:11

Sad thing is, these people believe in a cover up, but I have not seen a new planet or star in the night skies, or have felt any strange gravitational pulls that would be associated with a close encounter... Have you?

Seriously, look the frak up. There's nothing there. No Nibiru. Sorry.

#23 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,538 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:13

ok then, tell me, didn't some scientists find a larger Mayan calendar? or was my friend pulling my leg on that one too? (this is what i get for not doing my own research on it :pinch: )

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,886 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:13

Different cult, all too familiar brand of crazy. Please go away now.

#25 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,506 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:14

Sad thing is, these people believe in a cover up, but I have not seen a new planet or star in the night skies, or have felt any strange gravitational pulls that would be associated with a close encounter... Have you?

Seriously, look the frak up. There's nothing there. No Nibiru. Sorry.

Take a cheep camera and point it at the sun... NIBIRUuuuuuu!!!1!1!

#26 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,161 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:15

It's already been done. There was a conversion from Mayan to Gregorian calendar and that date came to be Dec 21st. Leap days have already been accounted for.

Did they also factor in the few years lost between all the conversion from one calendar to another, and from Popes and kings "adjusting the calendar to suit their needs?

#27 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:17

ok then, tell me, didn't some scientists find a larger Mayan calendar? or was my friend pulling my leg on that one too? (this is what i get for not doing my own research on it :pinch: )

I think the Mayans had 3 different calenders, but the one that created the whole "end of the world" conspiracy was their Long Count calender.

#28 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:19

Holy conspiracies Batman! If the world ends, it ends. If it doesn't. Then it doesn't. Who really cares anymore?

#29 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:22

Did they also factor in the few years lost between all the conversion from one calendar to another, and from Popes and kings "adjusting the calendar to suit their needs?

They used a conversation called the "GMT Constant". Not really sure what it entails, but I'm sure the people involved with the conversation wouldn't forget about the bigger details like that. There are fine details involving Venus or something that some people disputed on, but most scientists believe the 12/21 date to be true.

#30 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,930 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:26

I'd argue its healthy for people to think about their own death, especially at that age when their life is ahead of them; it helps keep things in perspective. Depression can also be healthy.

The problem here is with the people who actually take seriously the idea that the world is going to end because the Mayan calendar predicts it. I'd guess they have emotional problems other than simply being depressed.

I have no problem with NASA debunking these things, maybe helping some people out, its just weird that it has to be a priority at all.