Microsoft's worst nightmare coming true

Didn't people say similar stuff about IBM in the 90's? they are still humongous and make TONS of money

Agreed that MS will be around for a long long time. They make too much money not to be, but Microsoft as we know it may die off.

Meaning, Microsoft is still a serious contender in areas like cloud computing with Azure and software development with C#, .NET, and Visual Studio (to name a few) so they won't be "dying" (i.e. Bankruptcy) anytime soon. They made fade into the background like IBM has though. Not many people ever see anything IBM anymore so to the average person IBM is gone. If Microsoft ends up losing the desktop and mobile (not debating the merits of that here) and solidifying on the backend then they will have died to most people. I feel that is the death the author is referring to.

LOL Whatever detection. You're more of a MS fanboi than almost anyone else on this forum.

How do you get that? I don't like Vista or 8, if I was a Fanboi I would defend every single thing MS do, which I don't

How do you get that? I don't like Vista or 8, if I was a Fanboi I would defend every single thing MS do, which I don't

Sorry, mixed you up with Dot Matrix . .. I've had 4 hours sleep in the past 3 days due to all the Windows 8 machines I've had to wipe and reload with Windows 7 for all my clients x-mas gifts.

The D might have gotten you a case of mistake identity with Dot Matrix. Just a guess...

Sorry, mixed you up with someone else. .. I've had 4 hours sleep in the past 3 days due to all the Windows 8 machines I've had to wipe and reload with Windows 7 for all my clients x-mas gifts.

:D hehe, sleep deprivation does some crazy things to the brain, out of the blue and for no apparent reason a few months back, my brain would not sleep for 4 full days and nights, I started going crazy and past the point of being tired

The D might have gotten you a case of mistake identity with Dot Matrix. Just a guess...

LoL Yep, exactly, hit the nail on the head. (At least I'm not the only one that realizes how much of a Cool-aid fanboi Dot Matrix is.)

I sincerely apologize for confusing you two Detection, as I understand it is an insult beyond any other (except maybe warwagon) on this board.

It is virtually impossible for Windows 8 OS to be a failure. the MS Tablet and Windows Phone programs may be, with consumers. Time will tell.

I personally want both to succeed. I actually hate Google, Android, & Linux. But what I've seen so far, is worrisome. I really don't think there's enough Vision and leadership at MS to pull it off. The fact that I have Surface, Lumia 920, and Windows 8 Desktop and they all barely interoperate, tells me they ain't near ready. Fortunately for them the competition is small and hasn't done much in the Tablet space. Phones, that will be tougher.

I wouldn't start placing bets till after Christmas.

The fact that I have Windows 8 Desktop and Start Screen and the two barely interoperate, tells me they ain't near ready. This is the first version of Windows in which I have felt the UI was a step backwards from its predecessor.

I sincerely apologize for confusing you two Detection, as I understand it is an insult beyond any other (except maybe warwagon) on this board.

haha, not necessary but thanks :)

It's also against Neowin's forum rules yet you said it anyway.

Sorry, mixed you up with Dot Matrix . .. I've had 4 hours sleep in the past 3 days due to all the Windows 8 machines I've had to wipe and reload with Windows 7 for all my clients x-mas gifts.

This makes no sense. For starters why would they install win8 and then hire someone to remove it, or second why would they buy a windows 8 pc and downgrade it to something with a useless archaic startmenu. I call BS on this obvious troll attempt.

This makes no sense. For starters why would they install win8 and then hire someone to remove it, or second why would they buy a windows 8 pc and downgrade it to something with a useless archaic startmenu. I call BS on this obvious troll attempt.

It makes sense. He's downgrading new Windows 8 PC's to Windows 7 because his clients don't want a tablet UI. He's not doing any trolling. Misunderstanding perhaps? :)

This has been the case for Windows for about as long as I have been involved in technology...

Generally speaking, businesses buy the newer OS and exercise their downgrade rights to use the OS they currently have deployed. Allowing them to hedge their bets... If they decide to upgrade they don't have to buy new licenses and the downgrade rights are generally free (as the pricing of Windows 7 and Windows 8 for them is generally going to be the same when purchased new). They already need to pay an IT pro to image their machines anyway so there is no added cost here.

Businesses don't rush out and jump on the newest Windows release... This is the reason why Windows Server now carries a stupidly masked name. Windows Server 2008 = Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2 = Windows 7...

This has been the case for Windows for about as long as I have been involved in technology...

Generally speaking, businesses buy the newer OS and exercise their downgrade rights to use the OS they currently have deployed. Allowing them to hedge their bets... If they decide to upgrade they don't have to buy new licenses and the downgrade rights are generally free (as the pricing of Windows 7 and Windows 8 for them is generally going to be the same when purchased new). They already need to pay an IT pro to image their machines anyway so there is no added cost here.

And then give them away as Christmas gifts? Seems... odd. :laugh:

And then give them away as Christmas gifts? Seems... odd. :laugh:

Well the term gift has a very wide berth when it comes to meaning... But I won't get into the game of making assumptions as we all know what they say about those :)

It makes sense. He's downgrading new Windows 8 PC's to Windows 7 because his clients don't want a tablet UI. He's not doing any trolling. Misunderstanding perhaps? :)

did I miss the part about stores getting rid of their windows 7 pc shipments and only selling windows 8? and what does a windows 8 pc have to do with a tablet UI. Windows 8 works perfect with a kb and mouse or did MS's announcement of windows 8 cause people to forget how to use a mouse?

did I miss the part about stores getting rid of their windows 7 pc shipments and only selling windows 8? and what does a windows 8 pc have to do with a tablet UI. Windows 8 works perfect with a kb and mouse or did MS's announcement of windows 8 cause people to forget how to use a mouse?

Did you miss my reply? Businesses do it to hedge, especially since if they do chose to upgrade it would be after SP1 and the hedging comes free (where as buying the old version and then upgrading entails additional costs).

Do we always have to bring back the fact that 95% of the world computers run Windows operating systems to set people straight. Regardless of the iPad and iPhone sales and the ridiculous high prices Apple continues throw at consumers. Microsoft will continue to dominate overall sales nomatter what happens with W8 sales. Joe consumer nowadays that needs a laptop computer has to decide if he wants to buy a $400 dollar brand new laptop from TigerDirect or a $1000 brand new bottom tier Mac. It's all about catching up to Microsoft with gadgets and poor attempts to distract consumers with Microsoft is falling apart hysteria. Stop it.

I'm not even going to start. You win buddy. You're so cool. /s

I'm not even going to start. You win buddy. You're so cool. /s

Well, he's right. It does seem people have forgotten what the mouse was designed to do. It seems such a chore for people to move it sometimes.