ipad xbox ms office huge quarterly loss

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#61 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,246 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:49

Didn't people say similar stuff about IBM in the 90's? they are still humongous and make TONS of money

#62 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,212 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:51

40 million and growing sounds pretty successful to me. ;)

The issue with you and Microsoft is, they could release a virus which annihilates the entire human race and you would think it was the best thing they ever created :yes:

#63 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:57

The issue with you and Microsoft is, they could release a virus which annihilates the entire human race and you would think it was the best thing they ever created :yes:

So MS would release a computer virus that would exterminate life? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

#64 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:04

So MS would release a computer virus that would exterminate life? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Yeah it makes your rig turn into a Decepticon. At least I'll die knowing it could play Crysis... :rofl:

#65 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,838 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:08

As an IT manager, I agree with #2. Last year when I built 50 brand new computers for the office, I opted to install Linux (Ubuntu) instead of Windows 7. At the same time I killed my Server 2003 R2 Active Directory Domain controller and switched to Ubuntu Server and LDAP for login. It was a time consuming transition, but honestly after completion I have never been happier. I rarely ever have to go in and fix anything. Everything simply works, and works great. And I've gone from 11.04 to 11.10 to 12.04 LTS without really ever having to pay a cent or do anything but install the updates from online. Its really quite genius.

Also, I use an Android tablet to manage pretty much EVERYTHING in the office. I very very rarely use an actual desktop computer at all anymore, except when I'm working on web design stuff. The only Windows machine I really use anymore is my HTPC on my TV at home, running Windows 7. I was thinking about giving Windows 8 a whirl though, as it seems like the UI might work out quite well on a TV screen.

Great, its easier for you. What about the employees? What do you do when you have a program they need that they can't run? Do you just tell them to use an online alternative?

#66 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,853 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:15

As an IT manager, I agree with #2. Last year when I built 50 brand new computers for the office, I opted to install Linux (Ubuntu) instead of Windows 7. At the same time I killed my Server 2003 R2 Active Directory Domain controller and switched to Ubuntu Server and LDAP for login. It was a time consuming transition, but honestly after completion I have never been happier. I rarely ever have to go in and fix anything. Everything simply works, and works great. And I've gone from 11.04 to 11.10 to 12.04 LTS without really ever having to pay a cent or do anything but install the updates from online. Its really quite genius.

Also, I use an Android tablet to manage pretty much EVERYTHING in the office. I very very rarely use an actual desktop computer at all anymore, except when I'm working on web design stuff. The only Windows machine I really use anymore is my HTPC on my TV at home, running Windows 7. I was thinking about giving Windows 8 a whirl though, as it seems like the UI might work out quite well on a TV screen.

Wait, are you saying tablets are used by IT folks for "serious enterprise stuff"? I thought tablets are for consumers only!

#67 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:19

damn dude your theories are as bad as your jokes, then again your the same guy that had a hard time using windows 8 search lol

#68 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,585 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:24

Except he didn't say "computer virus", just "virus". Actually reading things through before posting a comment helps.

#69 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,246 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:25

damn dude your theories are as bad as your jokes, then again your the same guy that had a hard time using windows 8 search lol

oh common, there is a lot of money to be made in biological weapons, heck it explains why gates is so into pharmaceutical tech and development lately :shiftyninja:

#70 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:31

Didn't people say similar stuff about IBM in the 90's? they are still humongous and make TONS of money

Sure, although you'll notice there's no OS/2 section on this site.

#71 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:36

Except he didn't say "computer virus", just "virus". Actually reading things through before posting a comment helps.

What he said made no sense. MS is a SOFTWARE company so logically it would be a COMPUTER virus. MS doesn't do bioengineering so why would they release a biological agent?

It make-a no sense but since it was Warwagon that goes without saying.

#72 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,727 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:37

I hear Microsoft is working on developing nanoprobe technology... I guess assimilation is better than nothing, right? ;)

#73 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,585 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:39

What he said made no sense. MS is a SOFTWARE company so logically it would be a COMPUTER virus. MS doesn't do bioengineering so why would they release a biological agent?

Oh wow. It's clear you don't get what he's saying and take things way too literally.

#74 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,246 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:40

Sure, although you'll notice there's no OS/2 section on this site.

OS/2 a OS made by MS with IBM... that was a partnership, I mean the entire company as a whole, the article is written like MS will die off, IBM didn't we also don't have an AIX forum either.... doesn't mean it isn't widely used

#75 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:45

Oh wow. It's clear you don't get what he's saying and take things way too literally.

So says the guy that wrote this:
"Except he didn't say "computer virus", just "virus". Actually reading things through before posting a comment helps.

:rolleyes:

Anyhow, the original article is pure and outright *********.