I want to set up a Virtual Machine web server for Dev

Question

I've decided that I want to try something new. I have no experience with Virtual Machines but I know how they are used.

I'd like to set up a small virtual machine environment to build and test my website code on.

I need PHP, MySQL (along with the phpMyadmin panel), Apache (obviously) and FTP access. (plus whatever else I'm forgetting that most current day web servers use)

it can be Linux or Windows based, may prefer Windows for ease of use because I don't feel like messing with Terminals as much as I feel like working.

What software or software packages do you all recommend for this? I'm running a quad core AMD Phenom II. As I said, I have no experience working with or setting up virtual machines. So I need to know how to set up it and what to use, and also how to tweak it and whatever.

8 answers to this question

Download the free VMware hypervisor install like you would any os, then point your web browser to the ip of the new VMware server an manage it. Then you an setup and install any guest os you choose.

If you have Windows 8 Pro, it comes with Hyper-V or if you have Windows 7 then install Virtual Box. Both are very easy to use and simple. There are alot of how to's out there for both options.

Okay. I got VMware and I have an 2 ISOs and an exe. How does this whole virtual machine thing work exactly? I'm wondering why I can't just run an EXE and go from there. I have a lot of bootloader software and another OS installed as well. I hope this doesn't mess with any of that.

Thank you so much, now I just got to figure out the packages to install on my Fedora release. I really appreciate the help Undefineed. This changes everything and I'm seeing the possibilities when using this to develop applications. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

If you were curious

installing vmware hypervisor

Installing the client to manage a vmware host

Create a guest os

There is also vmware workstation, but I have not given you anything on that being that you mentioned nothing on installing a vm host on an existing workstation or server.

Haven't read thread but I do this a lot for dev. You don't need to run a virtual machine.

I use xampp for windows. Installs full web server with Apache, MySQL, php, filezilla ftp, tomcat and more straight from your windows install. no VM's no extra work. Install and fire up and you're good to go!

check it out, it really is awesome and so easy to use. http://www.apachefri...pp-windows.html

Your web folder will be C:\xampp\htdocs by default. If you have Skype installed it may be using and therefore blocking port 80, in which case Apache won't start so you may need to stop Skype using that port. You could change the Apache port but then you need to browse to localhost:yourport (ie: localhost:8080) every time which is annoying.

I installed a Debian server on a Hyper-V machine yesterday for web development purposes. It went extremely smooth and gave me a perfect environment for what I do.

To be fair, unless you have any specific needs, you could just pop in an Ubuntu Server image in Hyper-V and install it with the LAMP stack and you're good to go without any configuration if you're not too used to CLI and Linux systems.