Why does every single Steam game have to install .NET Framework?

Can't say I ever remember Steam games installing .NET Framework... mostly just DirectX and Visual C++ but to answer your question

Well if an app requires it, it would be a failure of the developer to not have it install. So the installers all install it, I'm pretty sure it's like DirectX, it will only update/install the outdated components.

Can't say I ever remember Steam games installing .NET Framework... mostly just DirectX and Visual C++ but to answer your question

Well if an app requires it, it would be a failure of the developer to not have it install. So the installers all install it, I'm pretty sure it's like DirectX, it will only update/install the outdated components.

New game I purchased just installed .NET. I know obviously if a game needs it it should install, I'm just wondering why each game installs DirectX/Visual C++ when I install them even though I already have them on my system.

Perhaps this can shed some light on your question:

http://forums.steamp...66&postcount=47

True for DirectX, but not so for .NET.

You can reliably check which version of the .NET runtime is installed and act accordingly, but I'm sure the installers do it just out of simplicity. If you already have the relevant version of .NET installed it won't do anything. If you don't have it then you'll get it and if it is corrupt then it can be repaired. So running it all the time can reduce support calls while having no ill effects (as it won't cause any problems for those who already have it installed).

• Like 1