GPU for farcry 3

ok, heres my next question, is it possible to run a crossfire config with my knew 7970 + one of my old 6870. and if so, would it be worth it?

Nope. Needs to be a 7970 or 7950.

I managed to max out Far Cry 3 on a single 2GB 6950 at a constant 50+ fps. Only thing not enabled is AA. @ 1920x1080. I'm quite far into the game now with no drops in framerates below 40, Full specs are in sig.

You must just be playing different games. I've had launch day SLI issues with DiRT Showdown, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Batman: Arkham City and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. That's despite using the latest respective beta drivers that supposedly had fixes for those very games. In fact I've had more issues with SLI for my GTX680s than with Crossfire for my HD5970. That said, I still prefer the nVidia experience overall and I don't mind putting up with the occasional issue for the performance it offers.

But the idea that there are "zero issues" today is laughable. It's not even slightly true.

Even with those SLI was broken at release and performance is still sketchy. They only offer such an improvement because performance was so bad before.

it sounds like to me that you were only encountering drivers which didnt have SLI profiles for those specific games. but, no, i havent played any of those games you mentioned.

in my experience, however, ive had no issues with SLI. i've played: Homefront, Batman: AA, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3, CoD:MW3

it sounds like to me that you were only encountering drivers which didnt have SLI profiles for those specific games. but, no, i havent played any of those games you mentioned.

Well, if you're simply going to dismiss all SLI issues related to SLI profiles then of course you're not going to have any problems! Sure the issues are usually addressed pretty quickly, often with days or the first week of release, but that doesn't mean they're not issues.

As for the issues: DiRT Showdown shipped with a faulty profile that didn't locate the correct .exe and even when it was selected caused lag on levels with water; Borderlands 2 shipped without SLI support; Far Cry 3 shipped with a faulty SLI profile (already corrected); XCOM: Enemy Unknown enabled SLI by default but had an issue that halved the framerate in comparison to a single card. Each time a quick Google search pointed me to a forum that listed an alternative profile that could be used via nVidia Inspector, which makes me wonder how nVidia doesn't pick up on these issues.

As I said, the idea that SLI doesn't have issues is laughable. By all means share your own experiences - and I don't dispute your success in the slightlest - but don't be so arrogant as to speak in absolutes.

OK, got my new 7970 installed. its a massive performance boost on my two 6870s. glad i purchased it. running FAr cry 3 on ultra with 4x AA and it must be somewhere about 60FPS im getting . its also a damn sight quieter than my last two cards!!

result. very happpy bunny!

holy **** there appears to be no limit to this card, i took a punt and pushed AA up to x8 all on ultra, and its like a hot knife through butter at 1920 x 1080. this game is seriously sexy at these settings.

i flashed the latest stock GB bios, F72 and pushed the memory clock up to 1500MHz using easyboost.

what a card, i cant reccomend it enough. anyway, back to FC3 lol