[How To] Disable uTorrents Plus advertising features

Question

Just came across this handy tip on my journeys

The annoying uTorrent Plus adverts that are now part of the free version of uTorrent can actually be disabled

I already managed to remove most of them via the menus but was stuck with the top bar advertising new torrents above your torrent list

This removes them all

Options > Preferences > Advanced

Copy/Paste each of these into the filter bar and set them all to false and then restart uTorrent

----------

gui.show_plus_upsell

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled

offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

gui.show_notorrents_node

offers.content_offer_autoexec

--------------

Red = Top new torrents bar

Enjoy a clean uTorrent UI again :)

14 answers to this question

Thank you! uTorrent cleaned :)

But we need to do this if it gets an update? Or these settings stay this?

Settings stick. Unless they add something different but reading around the utorrent forums, I think they plan to remove the less used and undesired features like the apps and stuff. Right now of course they're focusing on fixing bugs. They generally do listen to user feedback when its constructive criticism and detailed bug reports. Those types of people that constantly whine and threaten to stop using utorrent though anyone would ignore.

I've been using utorrent ever since it was released in 2005 and its always looked clean to me. Probably because i've been using it portably with the settings.dat file and the ui persisted through the versions(I customised icons and colors a bit). Here's a comparison between 1.7.7 and 3.2.2.

ajNlG.pngGGu3s.png

I don't get why so many people bash it like its become 'bloated'. It's still relatively light and feature rich for being a single executable less than 1mb. CPU and ram usage is low and runs fine on my old core2duo and 2gb ram machine. With a ton of torrents it maybe takes up to 30MB of memory for me. Ads and other UI features are entirely optional and can be disabled. Why is it wrong for good software thats still FREE to monetize somehow? Even the developers are trying to find a good solution that's beneficial to them and the users by gathering feedback. You can see here http://forum.utorren...c.php?id=123284

Thanks for that!

Those ads have annoyed me since I switched to the latest build!

three were different for me though;

left_rail_offer_enabled

sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

content_offer_autoexec

(This is how these three were for me - they didn't have the .offers prefix. The others did have the .gui prefix though)

I'm always using beta versions as they are released, and as far as I could tell, they don't come with ads.

Well out of all the time I've used uTorrent, only once did I ever see the one "Sponsored Torrent" link, and I got rid of it right away doing the method stated at the top.

I'm running 3.2.2 and there are no ads. Is that not the latest release?

I'm running 3.2.2 and there are no ads. Is that not the latest release?

I dont remember when but in the last few builds, utorrent started to come with ads.

Maybe its only for new users since I formatted and I never had ads before then. But I know that it definitely has ads now.