Photo

Android Battery Life

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 V8nside

V8nside

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:36

WiFi off when not needed and lower screen brightness works well for me on HP Touchpad running Android..

#17 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:36

Disabling location services gives good improvement to Android's standby time, could easily get over a week on Nexus 7 if I didn't use it, but as it is now it is usually 5 days of standby with 4-5 hours of screen time before I need to recharge.

Location services (especially GPS radio) are only used if an app. needs it. Otherwise, it really won't consume much battery.

#18 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:04

Location services (especially GPS radio) are only used if an app. needs it. Otherwise, it really won't consume much battery.

More or less, because sometimes you don't actually know that an app is using location services...

You can have great battery life on Android, but you must do a good research and track down the wakelocks that are being responsible for that. Reboot and test... :)

#19 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:05

Being a recent Android convert, the one thing I've noticed is that all 3 of my devices have relatively short battery lives. I can leave my iPad sitting on the couch for days and it won't lose much. I pretty much have to charge my Nexus tablets every day. Is this because of live wallpapers? I imagine they eat up more battery than static wallpapers, but do Android users tend to stay away from Live wallpapers because of battery drainage? Or, is there another factor perhaps impacting my battery life?

Unlock your N4, flash a custom Kernel with UV. Biggest battery saving right there.

#20 Egocentric

Egocentric

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:07

Having to disable features that contributed to people choosing android and reducing screen brightness to prolong battery life is crazy. I'm hoping that manufacturers start investing in battery r&d rather than trying to up the processing specs all the time.

#21 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:36

Agreed Newowinian.

Unlock your N4, flash a custom Kernel with UV. Biggest battery saving right there.

Why would I want to flash a custom kernel and what is UV?

#22 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:54

Agreed Newowinian.

Why would I want to flash a custom kernel and what is UV?

Custom kernels frequently contain many more optimizations and features than stock kernels. UV means undervolt, which is something that custom kernels can offer you. A lot of times you can turn down the voltage at some or all CPU states and save a chunk of power. As with any overclocking and undervolting though, how much you can OC/UV depends on your specific hardware.

#23 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:35

Thanks, I'm going to keep that in mind if my I find my N4's battery life to not be acceptable. Any quantitative information on how much difference running a custom UV Kernel like that will make?

#24 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:43

Thanks, I'm going to keep that in mind if my I find my N4's battery life to not be acceptable. Any quantitative information on how much difference running a custom UV Kernel like that will make?

Battery life is very difficult to put into those kind of terms because it VERY much depends on how much you use your phone and what you use it for. You can try reading some related threads on XDA and see if anyone can give you any idea there, but more than likely you're going to get an answer of "your mileage may vary".

#25 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:52

Such sad-face to people recommending apps like Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender. The folks at XDA have said these are useless since 2.2 and in some cases even have a negative impact.

#26 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:55

That's true, but Google Now uses it a lot in 4.1+

#27 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:18

The only quantifiable thing is the amount of voltage you decreased from the default one.

And you have to experiment with the battery life from there.

Not everything revolves around numbers.

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:37

Such sad-face to people recommending apps like Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender. The folks at XDA have said these are useless since 2.2 and in some cases even have a negative impact.

I don't consider them the absolute last authority on Android. I know what works on my phone better than they.

#29 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:33

Specifically, I am using my new Nexus 10 alot. I can't go half a day without having to recharge it. My iPad on the other hand can go several days. SO my main things to think about are lowering the screen brightness and disabling Bluetooth? My nexus 7 is about the same, about half a day's usage and I have to recharge it. I am using the default screen brightness on both devices and both have bluetooth turned on. Are those my main factors do you think? I haven't really done any serious gaming other than Badur's Gate just a little bit.

#30 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:45

I disagree completely, I think Androids memory management sucks, at least up to ICS, JellyBean seems better

Many times I would watch as my ram was sucked to near nothing and using a task killer sorted it

Yes it could be rogue apps but even still, if you don't have a way to manually stop them and Android does nothing to help, you end up having to reboot

JellyBean I haven't needed to use it very much and just leave the widget on the homescreen to show how much ram is available, plus the recent apps button now hsa a "stop all" feature added in the rom I use and that works fine