Photo

My SSD Only Supports 500MB's Read and 175 MB's Write!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#16 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:10

He's never specified the exact issue. If it is BP it is far beyond what I experience...which is already a pain. :p

#17 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:14

He's never specified the exact issue. If it is BP it is far beyond what I experience...which is already a pain. :p

I played wow with a bipolar guy for a year. It was a hell of a roller coaster ride lol ;) he was a nice guy tough.

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:17

which USB connection are you using exactly? USB1, 1.1, 2, or 3 and does the USB to SATA bridge even support what you are using?

#19 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:39

how about you answer the question, which USB spec are you running against? USB 1, 1.1, 2 or 3?

and post a picture of a hard drive benchmark test like Crystal DiskMark or HDTac or something similar

#20 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:02

which USB connection are you using exactly? USB1, 1.1, 2, or 3 and does the USB to SATA bridge even support what you are using?

how about you answer the question, which USB spec are you running against? USB 1, 1.1, 2 or 3?

and post a picture of a hard drive benchmark test like Crystal DiskMark or HDTac or something similar

it's the 2010 mac mini, so if he's using usb it'd be 2.0

edit: more specifically this is the SSD that he got that he claims is external because it came with a cord http://www.crucial.c...8D9B390A5CA7304

#21 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:13

USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps (mega bit). Your SSD is 500 MBps (mega byte).
So in fact USB 2.0 is 60 MBps, and once you take the protocol and overhead into account it's closer to 30 MBps.

But you seem pretty adamant on not believing what people say so, whatever.

#22 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:25

it's the 2010 mac mini, so if he's using usb it'd be 2.0

edit: more specifically this is the SSD that he got that he claims is external because it came with a cord http://www.crucial.c...8D9B390A5CA7304

Thanks for the article now it is easy to see what he is getting at, albeit it would appear that he is using the transfer kit for using the SSD as an external drive. . .some peoples kids.

#23 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:26

USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps (mega bit). Your SSD is 500 MBps (mega byte).
So in fact USB 2.0 is 60 MBps, and once you take the protocol and overhead into account it's closer to 30 MBps.

But you seem pretty adamant on not believing what people say so, whatever.

yeah, just so people know 500 MBps = 4000 Mbps

USB2 maxes out at 480Mbps that's 8.3333 times slower then the SSD's max speed

now if this was running under USB3, yeah you'd get good speed, but USB2 why even have a SSD you are going slower then your mechanical HDD

#24 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 89
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:28

yeah it comes with a cord

The Data Transfer Kit makes it simple to copy everything on your hard drive, including operating system, data, email settings and applications, to your Crucial m4. The kit includes the EZ Gig III Cloning and Imaging Software for Windows®, ShirtPocket's SuperDuper! for Mac®, a USB to SATA cable and a Quick Start Guide. Upgrade your notebook drive in just three simple steps.

Not sure why you can not believe the USB 2 spec.

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

http://www.usb.org/d...rs/usb20/faq20/
1: What maximum speed was finally chosen for the USB 2.0 spec?
A: The USB 2.0 specification has a design data rate of 480 mega bits per second.

This is just fact, if you don't believe it - then download the spec for yourself - I listed the url for it.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:33

yeah, just so people know 500 MBps = 4000 Mbps

USB2 maxes out at 480Mbps that's 8.3333 times slower then the SSD's max speed

now if this was running under USB3, yeah you'd get good speed, but USB2 why even have a SSD you are going slower then your mechanical HDD

Also USB is 480Mbps BURST transfer. it's the highst USB2 will go in a single burst, but it doesn't transfer at that speed constantly, hence why it's called burst.

#26 ElliottLan

ElliottLan

one three three seven

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:35

kevpan815: dude, if everyone but you says that you are wrong they are usually right. Take your machine to a mac store and get them to put the new ssd in it. Stop freaking out about drive speeds and your warranty period.

Extra note:
lol this guy. I'm such a lurker but this is (almost) worth a post.

Check the original thread here: http://www.neowin.ne...from-crucialcom

He can't be arsed to change the hard drive himself or take it to the mac store for fear of his warranty running out and now he is freaking out about read/write speeds claiming that the ssd is designed for external use because it came with a usb cable.

I say just leave it. There's no point asking a question if you won't accept the answer.

#27 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:41

Where's remixedcat and some of her pop music?

#28 AimLXJ

AimLXJ

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:43

kevpan815: dude, if everyone but you says that you are wrong they are usually right. Take your machine to a mac store and get them to put the new ssd in it. Stop freaking out about drive speeds and your warranty period.

Extra note:
lol this guy. I'm such a lurker but this is (almost) worth a post.

Check the original thread here: http://www.neowin.ne...from-crucialcom

He can't be arsed to change the hard drive himself or take it to the mac store for fear of his warranty running out and now he is freaking out about read/write speeds claiming that the ssd is designed for external use because it came with a usb cable.

I say just leave it. There's no point asking a question if you won't accept the answer.

This and this, as others said before about USB 2.0 and the whole shenanigan about MBps and Mbps, they're correct :/

#29 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:48

WRONG! IT IS GETTING ALMOST FULL SPEED AS IT IS GETTING 480 MB'S A SECOND OUT OFF 500 MB'S A SECOND!

I EVEN PLAYED STAR TREK D-A-C (FROM THE MAC APP STORE) YESTERDAY AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER!

:argh:

#30 Phemo

Phemo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:01

You are not getting full speed out of your SSD when it's connected via USB2. It is impossible, but since you just ignore what everyone's saying then it's pointless.

Do some benchmarks and learn the difference between a megabit and a megabyte. You'll soon see you're completely wrong if you bother to take the time to listen. People are just trying to advise you that the way you're using your newly purchased SSD is useless as USB2 is crippling it. If you don't want to take anyone's advice and learn then it's pointless even posting.