Photo

My SSD Only Supports 500MB's Read and 175 MB's Write!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#31 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:04

Is this the guy who paid USD 200 for a RAM upgrade?

I think he is just insane. Lock thread and ban.

#32 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:14

Is this the guy who paid USD 200 for a RAM upgrade?

I think he is just insane. Lock thread and ban.

Well that is pretty uncalled for. Everyone has to learn somewhere no?

Granted, from what I have seen in this thread and other threads that were linked to in this thread, the OP seems pretty adamant on not wanting to learn and insisting they are right, however if they are just able to accept the fact that most people are in fact here to help those who are looking to help themselves, well as I said, they can actually learn a whole lot if they so choose to do so.

With that said, comments like this one do not really help matters, and in fact, they probably make them worse. Just saying, it was pretty damn unnecessary to say, even if you do think it is the truth. Just proves that the old adage "if you do not have anything nice to say, do not say anything at all" also applies to the internet, even if people feel like they can say whatever they choose to another human being as they are behind the safety and anonymity of their IP address/monitor.

I am sure I just wasted my time posting this, but I felt it need to be said, and it also does apply to a few other responses in this thread. Sometimes people are just downright cruel. And as I said I do admit, it seems as though the OP does not want the help even though there are those offering it, however that is their loss, no need to fuel the flames and gang up on them.

#33 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:31

It just pains me to read the other thread and this thread. Seriously, why you no listen to the people that are trying to help you?

#34 Neztea

Neztea

DoN't Be SuCh A pLaYa HatA!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:29

Like I Said in the forums before hand, do your research about the topic and learn from mistakes, etc etc etc....... Mbps IS NOT MBps.. They are two completely different things.

Neztea

#35 br0adband

br0adband

The one and only...

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:38

Where are you people coming up with 480 Mbps = 35 MB/s because your math is way waaaaaaaaaaay off.

Bytes = 8 bits, hence 480 Mbps aka Million bits per second divided by 8 = ~60 MBps aka Million bytes per second (that's the absolute theoretical maximum but because of overhead it's never that fast). Even though it can't push ~60MB/s perfectly that's still a very big jump from 35MB/s which you folks keep spitting out as though it were accurate to any degree.

USB 2.0 is theoretically capable of ~55-58MB/s sustained transfer speed if there are no other devices on the particular USB controller.

The OP simply made a booboo of sorts, I could tell that from reading the post he made - the rest of the posts hence have been basic garbage overall and a lot of misunderstandings and mistaken values for the potential, theoretical, and even real-world performance of USB 2.0.

Better luck next time people, and don't go so far off-track will ya?

#36 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:43

because USB is burst transfer technology, and the 480mbps transfer only happens in short bursts, so the average transfer is far lower than that.

#37 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 December 2012 - 23:11

Where are you people coming up with 480 Mbps = 35 MB/s because your math is way waaaaaaaaaaay off.

Bytes = 8 bits, hence 480 Mbps aka Million bits per second divided by 8 = ~60 MBps aka Million bytes per second (that's the absolute theoretical maximum but because of overhead it's never that fast). Even though it can't push ~60MB/s perfectly that's still a very big jump from 35MB/s which you folks keep spitting out as though it were accurate to any degree.

USB 2.0 is theoretically capable of ~55-58MB/s sustained transfer speed if there are no other devices on the particular USB controller.

The OP simply made a booboo of sorts, I could tell that from reading the post he made - the rest of the posts hence have been basic garbage overall and a lot of misunderstandings and mistaken values for the potential, theoretical, and even real-world performance of USB 2.0.

Better luck next time people, and don't go so far off-track will ya?

because USB isn't a 1:1 translation in speed

quote from wikipedia since I don't feel like writing a full description myself right now

USB 2.0: Released in April 2000. Added higher maximum signaling rate of 480 Mbit/s (effective throughput up to 35 MB/s or 280 MBit/s) (now called "Hi-Speed"). Further modifications to the USB specification have been done via Engineering Change Notices (ECN). The most important of these ECNs are included into the USB 2.0 specification package available from USB.org:[13]

and from tech republic

4: Actual data throughput

Actual data throughput is usually much less than the maximum advertised USB specification and is a function of many variables, including overhead. Actual throughput in practice is typically up to 35 - 40MB/sec for USB 2.0 and may exceed 400MB/sec for USB 3.0. NEC recently demonstrated its new USB 3.0 controller transferring 500MB in 4.4 seconds or “only” 113.6MB/sec. Symwave and MCCI claim to have demonstrated over 270MB/sec data throughput at the Intel Developer Forum in September 2009.

sorry, but the rest of the posts aren't "garbage" but a bunch of people that realize there is more to the USB spec then what you are told you get...

#38 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:42

yeah, anyone else get a PM from this guy? *rolls eyes* I think we are being trolled

#39 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:52

so, the OP pm'd me and said he fried his system and it's somehow our fault

all i have to say is he obviously didn't follow the links with step by step directions we gave him very well

#40 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:08

Can anyone forward me the PM from him....I'd love to read them. I have loved reading this thread....it's been a treat.

#41 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:16

Can anyone forward me the PM from him....I'd love to read them. I have loved reading this thread....it's been a treat.

here's the two PMs i got from him

all the first pm said was "I now have a dead system and it's your guys fault"

second one said

The Drive does NOT even fit in my system, Just FYI! Now I have to save up $599.99 + Tax just so I can replace the system itself, and that does NOT include the fact that at some later point in time I will have to pay $149 for Apple Care, and $69.99 for an External Super Drive! Thanks a lot!

edit: and i just got a reply after asking why he doesn't take it to an apple store

No, that will NOT work, I used Pliers to undo all those Non Removable Bolts in the System, I just plain am going to have to save up $599 U.S.A. Dollars from my January Public Aid Paycheck (Social Security Disability) and buy a Late 2012 Mac Mini which will have USB 3.0 Ports on it. There are scratches on the system from where I was using the Pliers and that will most definitely Void my Warrenty. I also damaged the Heat Sync while trying to get the HDD out of the system. I am just plain going to have to buy a new system after the Holiday's!

he tried to use pliers to remove the bolts around the hard drive and ruined the heat sync. he brought it upon himself for not using the correct tools

#42 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:22

second one said

edit: and i just got a reply after asking why he doesn't take it to an apple store

he tried to use pliers to remove the bolts around the hard drive and ruined the heat sync. he brought it upon himself for not using the correct tools

That is sweet.

#43 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:34

This thread. :|

All those years that I did tech support and fixed computers...had no idea what was really out there.

#44 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:40

just a reminder of the link we gave him with instructions on replacing the hard drive http://www.ifixit.co...lacement/3113/1

he probably completely ignored the link back when it was posted and never even clicked on it

#45 AimLXJ

AimLXJ

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:08

second one said

Dear god :s , OP is probably PMing people because of all the bad comments. If someone can get through OP's head then that'll be great; other than that, this thread is just giving everyone lols :/