Changed modem; cannot access router nor modem admin page anymore

Thanks for the explanation budman, I think I'll just connect the modem directly to a PC if I ever need to check its config page, as you say this should be a rare occurence.

Then why not disable the DHCP server on the modem and let the DHCP server on the router be the active one?

That's where Im kinda of confused :\ Maybe you did it on purpose for something in particular...

Because then I'd have had to configure the modem (actually the gateway) in bridge mode and it becomes harder to access the gateway, as my current situation illustrates. When your modem is a gateway it's simpler to let it do its thing and not add any layer in front of it.

I think there might be some confusion here on why the cable modem hands out 192.168.100.x addresses when your connected to it before its connected to your isp.

This is on configuration page of my cable modem. Look on yours, pretty sure its going to have the same kind of info.

DHCP Server Enabled

The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

Notice the disconnected from the internet part. If it has a connection to internet, then it will NOT hand out these 192.168.100.x addresses and you will get a PUBLIC IP (normally) from your ISP. You never no your isp could be doing nat upstream.

I see my router do this sometimes if the internet connection is lost. The wan now gets a 192.168.100.x address, until the connection comes back and router tries to update its lease or you do a release and renew on your own. I would have to assume the lease on these 192.168.100 addresses is pretty low, check it next time you connect to your modem before it has sync'd your internet connection. Then look with ipconfig /all to see how long the dhcp lease it gave you was.

Because then I'd have had to configure the modem (actually the gateway) in bridge mode and it becomes harder to access the gateway, as my current situation illustrates. When your modem is a gateway it's simpler to let it do its thing and not add any layer in front of it.

OK :) If that's you perfered setup so be it! :)