Photo

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Quigley Guy

Quigley Guy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:25

So you rather have them not investing money at all? Cool.

lol, exactly - not sure what point he's trying to make :s

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:49

That's not what the article says. And, for a low volume product, it's not unrealistic to manufacture in the US these days. If you're going to fabricate 5 million of something for day 1, sure, use Foxconn city.

That's because the rules are stupid and if enough assembly is done in a country it can be called made in that country.

#18 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:57

So you rather have them not investing money at all? Cool.

it is pretty much nothing when people like Intel shell out billions to build fab's in the USA... Intel's Fab 42 in Arizona is going to cost about $5 billion to build, compare that to Apple's $100 million....

although Intel is always funny, their fabs are in the USA but the end chips are "made in Taiwan" or "made in costa rica"... even though they are fab'ed here

#19 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:04

probably succeed as much as the Nexus Q thingy... a device released and forgotten in a month.

The Nexus Q has not been sold beyond pre-order because Google wanted to tweak it more and sell a better device in the future after they received quite a bit of feedback. The changes haven't yet come out to retail.
Source: http://www.androidce...ers-free-sphere

#20 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:09

it is pretty much nothing when people like Intel shell out billions to build fab's in the USA... Intel's Fab 42 in Arizona is going to cost about $5 billion to build, compare that to Apple's $100 million....

although Intel is always funny, their fabs are in the USA but the end chips are "made in Taiwan" or "made in costa rica"... even though they are fab'ed here

Cutting edge chip manufacturing is exponentially more expensive than what Apple is doing.

#21 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:13

Maybe because what Intel is doing is more expensive... My question still stands though: You rather have Apple not invest any money at all?

#22 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:20

Maybe because what Intel is doing is more expensive... My question still stands though: You rather have Apple not invest any money at all?

Where exactly did ANYONE say that?

The "assembled in the USA" is just marketing.

#23 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:31

Where exactly did ANYONE say that?

The "assembled in the USA" is just marketing.

It's a very simple question I'm asking you're not giving an answer to, since you're complaining about the company only investing $100 million. The realistic alternative being they won't invest any money at all. Apple is a commercial company, not a charity organization. So yeah, if there's some positive PR value attached to this they'll use it. Capitalism has worked like this for quite some time now.

#24 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:37

really? because Apple "makes" (Designs) their own chips now, they could easily move their own chip fabrication here... just as expensive as what Intel is up to

It's a very simple question I'm asking you're not giving an answer to since you're complaining about the company only invests $100 million. The realistic alternative being they won't invest any money at all. Apple is a commercial company, not a charity organization. So yeah, if there's some positive PR value attached to this they'll use it. Capitalism has worked like this for quite some time now.

Apple is investing more money in construction of their new headquarters then they are investing in assembly in the USA... still money invested in the USA

#25 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:37

really? because Apple "makes" (Designs) their own chips now, they could easily move their own chip fabrication here... just as expensive as what Intel is up to

They're still in the process of acquiring more expertise. Who's to say they won't eventually when they're more independent from others?

#26 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:41

They're still in the process of acquiring more expertise. Who's to say they won't eventually when they're more independent from others?

I'm just saying start putting money down now, $100 mil is tiny, heck I can't even buy a good sized assembly factory tooled for $100 mil...

#27 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:44

Apple is investing more money in construction of their new headquarters then they are investing in assembly in the USA... still money invested in the USA

Apple building their very expensive new HQ in the US doesn't add to the local economy?

I'm just saying start putting money down now, $100 mil is tiny, heck I can't even buy a good sized assembly factory tooled for $100 mil...

Apple has to start somewhere. If this works out for them it paves the way for future investments.

#28 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:50

Apple building their very expensive new HQ in the US doesn't add to the local economy?

isn't that exactly what I said above? that it is still investing in the USA by building it?

#29 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:54

isn't that exactly what I said above? that it is still investing in the USA by building it?

So what's the issue then? One way or another Apple's investing money in the US economy. The way I see it it doesn't really matter how.

#30 OP vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:58

So what's the issue then? One way or another Apple's investing money in the US economy. The way I see it it doesn't really matter how.

there was no issue, you seemed to make an issue out of my comments I wished they would of put more into the investment... I was just saying 100 mil is a small amount by my opinion, but they are still building the new HQ ontop of that