• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#16 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,693 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:24

Windows 8 will have its purpose, without it, Windows 9 wouldn't be as good as its going to be.

#17 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:30

I wouldn't even give windows 8 to someone i hate.. That's just as bad as murdering someone.

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,475 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:27

I'd say the joke is still on you for wasting away €29-€59 on someone you hate.

#19 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:32

I wouldn't even give windows 8 to someone i hate.. That's just as bad as murdering someone.

There's a sane analogy.

:|

#20 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:47

With Windows 8, I haven't had this much fun using a computer since I first got one to be honest. It feels so reinvigorating to actually be learning something new as opposed to using the same GUI with "cool" Aero effects or redundant menus. If there's anything this backlash has taught me, it's that people can't learn something new.

The only negative remark I'll make about it is that Microsoft continued the trend they started with Vista of either moving, layering, or straight up removing vital functions. While the Charms Bar is great on a WinRT tablet, it's worth ****-all on even a Win32 tablet, let alone a desktop/laptop. Devices is practically useless, Start is redundant, Search is dismal, and Settings leads you to what Charms should have been. Share is more tablet-oriented but I'm willing to ignore it for the greater good of having an OS that can work across multiple platforms.

#21 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,475 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:52

If there's anything this backlash has taught me, it's that people can't learn something new.

So how exactly did smartphones and tablets become a hit?

#22 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:55

"Suppose that you are an expert user of Windows NT/XP/Vista/7, an expert user of an iPad, and an expert user of an Android phone… you will have no idea how to use Windows"

How ****ing clueless are people? Good god. :s

look on this forum. its full of clueless people that think windows 8 is hard or confusing lol then in a later post these same people pretend to work in the IT sector.

Last night I bought and installed Start8 on my Windows 8 desktop computer (4 monitor setup). It really does feel like a breath of fresh air. This is after using windows 8 on 2 computer since it went on sale.

On the Windows 8 UI I find myself doing what feels like more to get to the same place as Windows 7.

Sure windows 8 has keyboard shortcuts coming out it's ass, but taking keyboard shortcuts out of the equation (Most users don't even know control + c copies), navigating the UI feels like more work than (it's predecessors) it should be.

I've still never understood hiding important menu's from the user. Even if they are going to remove the start menu, why did they have to remove the start button? It's almost like they were in a meeting they one day constructing a list of "the top 5 ways they could confuse the average user" then proceeded to implement all of them.

Unless you are on a tablet, the charms bar gives you this "What the hell are you doing here" feeling, almost every-time you activate on purpose or otherwise. It's also a pain in the ass to activate if you have dual monitors (Once again taking keyboard shortcuts out of the equation).

my above point proven

#23 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

• 887 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:57

So please hate me and give me a new computer with Windows 8 :D

I'm fairly certain there's an Amendment against cruel and unusual punishment.

#24 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:04

I'm fairly certain there's an Amendment against cruel and unusual punishment.

Linux is still around so i'm guessing no

#25 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,775 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:21

aww how cute, we have a bitter android/apple fanboy reviewing windows. reminds me of someone named Joshua Topolski.

#26 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:30

So how exactly did smartphones and tablets become a hit?

You think people actually learned them? It started with Blackberry and the "No Chav Left Behind" days.

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,750 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 06 December 2012 - 23:48

I have no doubt the Modern interface will mature to the point that it will completely replace the desktop. It took several iterations of the desktop GUI to replace the command prompt, and it will most likely be the same with Modern. There might be some niche applications that absolutely need the desktop, but it's going to be a fairly rare occurrence.

I tend to agree, but it will be major reiterations. Dealing with context just doesn't work well. Right clicking in the Modern UI just doesn't really work well. I do believe they did the best they could with core apps but the Modern UI doesn't lend itself with dealing with long lists well, or contextual option easily. It's much better on a tablet where everything is closer.

As it relates to the topic, I think without the desktop environment the Surface RT would be easier to deal with for people like the reviewer. However, Office 2013 at a minimum is a desktop app.

Right now I don't see a clear vision for the maturation process. If we get any early peeks at Windows 9, maybe that will clear up some things.

With Windows 8, I haven't had this much fun using a computer since I first got one to be honest. It feels so reinvigorating to actually be learning something new as opposed to using the same GUI with "cool" Aero effects or redundant menus. If there's anything this backlash has taught me, it's that people can't learn something new.

The only negative remark I'll make about it is that Microsoft continued the trend they started with Vista of either moving, layering, or straight up removing vital functions. While the Charms Bar is great on a WinRT tablet, it's worth ****-all on even a Win32 tablet, let alone a desktop/laptop. Devices is practically useless, Start is redundant, Search is dismal, and Settings leads you to what Charms should have been. Share is more tablet-oriented but I'm willing to ignore it for the greater good of having an OS that can work across multiple platforms.

I agree with all you negatives. Particularly Search and while I like charms, is usefulness on the desktop should be more of what you get when you go to settings. I think most people who have a negative option share similar feelings are not just unwilling to learn. They find the negatives unacceptable, while you and I find enough positives to work around the negatives.

#28 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,211 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:34

look on this forum. its full of clueless people that think windows 8 is hard or confusing lol then in a later post these same people pretend to work in the IT sector.

This is my given opinion.

The more I work my way into IT, the more I find it's full of people with extreme sets of laziness, and people who boast huge egos. When things change that force them off their butt, or when they don't get their way with huge tech companies, they cry. We saw it with Windows 95, we saw it with Windows XP, we saw it with Windows Vista, we saw it to a lesser degree with Windows 7, and now we can see it with Windows 8. The changes introduced in those versions force them to learn something new, which may or may not break old habits, but when they do, look out, because you'll hear about it! Especially, if they create a scenario where you have to take an additional extra step. I used to have a professor who swore by ancient techniques, and it was almost sad to watch him complain and complain after Vista was launched when a lot of his ways were removed for good. After Vista, I know many nerds wanted "Windows XP Second Edition", and were furious to never get it. They really wanted all those changes in Vista to revert back and go away, and ****ed and moaned when they didn't, because it forced them to learn something new, and then support it, as others learned it as well. Now with Windows 8, you rinse, lather, and repeat. The OP's article is nothing more than the author plugging his hears, and shouting out loud at the arrival of Windows 8, trying to ignore its existence.

And nowadays that kids are growing up with technology around them, and with devices becoming simpler ("dumbed down" as people put it), many egos are being shattered after the older generation finds out they're just not needed anymore, and that kids can fix their own devices after something goes wrong. Again, once this happens, you're gonna hear about it. There are many days where I have sat and watched the people around me solve their own computer problems, and it leaves me impressed. Sure, I still get called upon to answer a few questions, but generally, people are on their own with their tech, and I know some people this bothers, because they have that ego in front of them - the "holier than thou" attitude that turns many off from IT in the first place... Remember that old SNL skit "Nick Burns: Your Company's Computer Guy"? Remember the ego he had? Yeah, it's kinda like that...

Anyway, just my two cents as to what's going on with the IT sector today.

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 00:54

I know a few people I would like to murder. :p

#30 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

• 102 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:10

There is always an alternative choice out there. Buy or stay with the OS you preferred.