Windows 8: A ‘Christmas gift for someone you hate’

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#76 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:06

The mouse is not emulating touch. Nor was it ever designed to, and Windows 8 IS NOT replacing natural mouse movements with touch emulations.

The same can be said with webpages on a tablet, but we've known for a while now that the scroll wheel on the mouse makes our lives easier. The scroll wheel is the most efficient way to scroll. Duh.

So, why are you using the scrollbar? I've known since the betas that Start can be scrolled using the wheel...

wow talk about completely missing the point... no one said it was replacing the mouse, I am saying I want it to ACT CONSISTANT!

I've known since the first scroll mouse came out you can scroll, point being?! Like I said... every touch UI I've ever worked with, if you can tap and drag, you can also click and drag... which works EVERYWHERE in windows except on the start screen

#77 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,719 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:20

wow talk about completely missing the point... no one said it was replacing the mouse, I am saying I want it to ACT CONSISTANT!

I've known since the first scroll mouse came out you can scroll, point being?! Like I said... every touch UI I've ever worked with, if you can tap and drag, you can also click and drag... which works EVERYWHERE in windows except on the start screen

You cannot click and drag anywhere in the OS... Windows 8 is not meant to replace the mouse with touch emulators. Touch and drag is the last thing you want users doing.

#78 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:24

You cannot click and drag anywhere in the OS... Windows 8 is not meant to replace the mouse with touch emulators. Touch and drag is the last thing you want users doing.

I can click and drag metro apps at the top of the screen...

I can click and drag metro apps in the metro task switcher...

I can click and drag the title screen to get to the login screen.....

need I continue?

these where all designed as touch UI interfaces and are emulated with the mouse just fine...

#79 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,719 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:32

I can click and drag metro apps at the top of the screen...

I can click and drag metro apps in the metro task switcher...

I can click and drag the title screen to get to the login screen.....

need I continue?

these where all designed as touch UI interfaces and are emulated with the mouse just fine...

Now you're talking about moving apps, like you currently move windows on the desktop, not scrolling using click and drag. So what is it?

#80 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:35

I am replying to a troll article expressing my outrage.

#81 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:39

Now you're talking about moving apps, like you currently move windows on the desktop, not scrolling using click and drag. So what is it?

you are the one that said you can "You cannot click and drag anywhere in the OS" nothing about scrolling... I'm the one that said it should be consistent, anything that is touch and do an action should be able to also be done with a mouse click

#82 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,719 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:43

you are the one that said you can "You cannot click and drag anywhere in the OS" nothing about scrolling... I'm the one that said it should be consistent, anything that is touch and do an action should be able to also be done with a mouse click

You were talking about scrolling, not moving windows around. Clicking to scroll is the least efficient method to move the screen. You can't do that to scroll a webpage, so naturally you can't do that to scroll an app.

#83 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:48

You were talking about scrolling, not moving windows around. Clicking to scroll is the least efficient method to move the screen. You can't do that to scroll a webpage, so naturally you can't do that to scroll an app.

lets just agree to disagree on what is and isn't most efficient

#84 trek

trek

Neowinian Senior

• 2,945 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 21:49

lets just agree to disagree on what is and isn't most efficient

Was the behavior you're describing click+drag to move the metro screen like Mission Control on a Mac? If so I find that far more intuitive than a scrollbar... I agree. Or another example of bad design is using the scroll wheel up and down on the mouse that moves metro left and right... (makes sense right?!)

#85 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 11 December 2012 - 22:04

You humans get stuck on doing things a certain way. Resistance to change and all. When effieciency is achieved in a fluid use of both touch and mouse. Both have their positive sides. Windows 8 is not altogther that different than Windows 7. Windows 8 is faster, more fluid in use, more functional in different ways, more intuitive than Windows 7. That's not to say Windows 7 isn't good. I was resistant to Windows 8 and the Start Screen. I've learned to use it. Still don't like the extra clicks but it's worth it.

The idiot in the article needs to not post on the internet period. And go back to windows 95SE.

#86 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:41

I've learned to use it. Still don't like the extra clicks but it's worth it.

Why is it worth extra clicks? It's not for me, so I'm just wondering.

#87 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,854 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:58

Clicking to scroll is the least efficient method to move the screen. You can't do that to scroll a webpage, so naturally you can't do that to scroll an app.

Thats debatable since that very feature has been (and remains) in browsers and other apps (like Acrobat Reader) for quite awhile (middle click). The more pressing issue is why scrolling is still so finicky that people prefer to use the dragable scroll bar.

#88 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:27

You humans get stuck on doing things a certain way. Resistance to change and all. When effieciency is achieved in a fluid use of both touch and mouse. Both have their positive sides. Windows 8 is not altogther that different than Windows 7. Windows 8 is faster, more fluid in use, more functional in different ways, more intuitive than Windows 7. That's not to say Windows 7 isn't good. I was resistant to Windows 8 and the Start Screen. I've learned to use it. Still don't like the extra clicks but it's worth it.

The idiot in the article needs to not post on the internet period. And go back to windows 95SE.

Is that because his opinion is different then yours?

#89 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• 1,393 posts
  • Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:49

Suppose you have no problems using Windows 8.
And suppose you are an intelligent person.

... But I repeat myself.

(with apologies to Mark Twain)

#90 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:38

Why is it worth extra clicks? It's not for me, so I'm just wondering.

Because if take the time to setup a dual boot you'll see how much more functional 8 is over 7.
That's what I did to compare on the hardware. Since setting up 8 I've only used 7 a few times. I meant overall the inconvenience of a few clicks is worth getting a better OS. 8 is not that much different than 7. Just better. I honesty did not expect it to be.