Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:34
I don't usually complain about UI changes most of the time they are for the best. However this update really has some terrible changes.
- Fixed width and aligned to the left = massive gap on the right.
- All of the browse video functionality takes two clicks to get to and the first click is a small icon on the bottom left which doesn't even properly describe it's function.
- The video lists like most popular are now even more restricted and messy. It only shows 3 of the most popular videos in 5 categories and another 4 categories on the page before which you have to click into seperatly, no previews. So there is no logical flow why can't they just display them all the same way and on the same page.
- The default page isn't even your subscriptions anymore it's actually just one big reccomended list. To see your list of videos from your subscriptions in order you have to click my subscriptions.
- Removed partner icons from the video page, now all video pages look the same. (not sure if good or bad, it could help upcoming channels).
- Some of the UI like the reccomended channels on the right, why is the subscribe button and subscriber count on different lines. Why is all the text on the left just floating with a very plain red bar on your selected option.
What I enjoy:
- New basic video player.
- Avatars in the comments adding more personality to it.
- The new search page.
- The clean look of the top bar.
- The new playlists, history and subscriptions page
- The general feeling of a cleaner, sleeker and more professional looking layout but with some very rough edges.
What could have been added:
- Like bar under video thumbnails.
- Personal Customisation.
- Live Notification system.
- Live Chatbox with your G+ friends (Like facebook chat).
- Improve messaging perhaps with G+ intergration (like facebook messages).