cd dvd optical disc drives apple sony solid state internal storage

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,935 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:19

The last time i used my DVD drive Obama was a nobody.

#17 Bizkit

Bizkit

Neowinian Senior

• 5,864 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:25

I put a DVD burner in my PC when I built it 5 years ago. Its all but dead now, and honestly, I don't think I used it in the last 3 years. USB sticks or cloud is where it is at now.

#18 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:29

Not had an internal one for ages, bought an external for the odd occasions i might need one.

I hope they completely get rid of DVD/blu ray and replace it with USB sticks or SD cards in the near future.

#19 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 609 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:45

Optical media is home to much higher quality media though. CDs have a higher bitrate than MP3s bought from any online storefront and definitely sound better....blu-rays (heck even some DVDs) look vastly superior to any highly compressed streaming or "digital copy" version.

You may want the optical to die but you're all willing to accept such terrible compromises with regards to quality it makes me cringe.

"our customers have given us a lot of trust."

No, they just flat out tell their customers what to think and the cultists believe everything blindly.

#20 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,908 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:28

Well, I just bought a BD burner for my PC, and it's getting PLENTY of use (as a reader)!

#21 ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

• 147 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:33

I can't remember the last time I used my optical drive. Even my netbook from 2010 that I've had until now didn't have an optical drive; I never needed it anyhow. Nowadays, you can even install operating systems via 4 gig flash drives as long as you can copy the disk files from someone else's optical drive. It's not like you install OSs all day, right?

#22 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,664 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:42

The last time i used my DVD drive Obama was a nobody.

He's somebody now?

#23 Joni_78

Joni_78

Neowinian Senior

• 1,953 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:23

How are they watching Blu-ray's?

#24 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,908 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:34

Nowadays, you can even install operating systems via 4 gig flash drives as long as you can copy the disk files from someone else's optical drive.

How are you gonna do that if no-one has an optical drive anymore? :huh: :p

#25 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,452 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:44

It's really stupid that Microsoft makes Win8 available for download for the consumer upgrade path but only distributes DVDs for the OEM version. I want an ISO damnit!

when I got the download I also ordered a dvd with it.

#26 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,928 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:26

The only reason I got an optical drive (Blu-Ray) for my 2012 build was to put them on my media server for my PS3/WD TV Live. My wife and I love watching BD movies, none of the streaming services come to close to the fidelity. I see optical drives hanging around for awhile yet.

Apple has a major investment in iTunes so of course they will limit support for outside media.

#27 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,021 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:37

My new build about 6 months ago has one. I've never used it. It was thrown in free with everything else I bought.

#28 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,418 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:41

Optical media is home to much higher quality media though. CDs have a higher bitrate than MP3s bought from any online storefront and definitely sound better....blu-rays (heck even some DVDs) look vastly superior to any highly compressed streaming or "digital copy" version.

You may want the optical to die but you're all willing to accept such terrible compromises with regards to quality it makes me cringe.

Most streaming video is terrible quality, but we passed transparency for audio a while back.

#29 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:44

Most streaming video is terrible quality, but we passed transparency for audio a while back.

Not for multi-channel audio. I can definitely hear the difference between a Netflix stream and my movies on Blu-Ray.

#30 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,418 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:40

Not for multi-channel audio. I can definitely hear the difference between a Netflix stream and my movies on Blu-Ray.

I was talking about audio settings (i.e. It'll be hard to find somebody who can actually tell the difference between 256Kbps AAC and FLAC, etc.). Audio for streaming media does often suffer though (I swear YouTube uses mono audio for some quality settings)