cd dvd optical disc drives apple sony solid state internal storage

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,417 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:53

My machine has no optical drive. I have no need for one, although if I really did I would just use the laptop as it's the only computer in the house that has one, which came with it.

#47 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:03

It's really stupid that Microsoft makes Win8 available for download for the consumer upgrade path but only distributes DVDs for the OEM version. I want an ISO damnit!

But you can get it on DVD if you pay for it. Also you can make an ISO from the downloaded install files. I have Win8 install on USB drive. Just google how to do it.

I don't see disks going away for a while yet. One of my laptops have no disc player while the other newer one does. I have a usb Multi player.

#48 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,571 posts
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:16

Might be that I'm in a third world country, but where I work, DVD drives is one of things that sells the most, for some weird reason. About a half of new PCs (the more advanced ones, mostly) indeed don't have them anymore, but I've also heard the "Yes, I wouldn't use it for anything, but how else I'm going to install Windows?" argument. Though the thing is - best part of them are being sold as they are, and so we stock several 10 unit boxes of them at a time.

We did consider offering premade bootable flash drives (and config boot order accordingly), but arguments against were - 1) can't make them read-only, 2) people would simply lose them, and 3) bulk orders bring crazy profit *cough*

#49 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,723 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:43

But you can get it on DVD if you pay for it. Also you can make an ISO from the downloaded install files. I have Win8 install on USB drive. Just google how to do it.

I don't see disks going away for a while yet. One of my laptops have no disc player while the other newer one does. I have a usb Multi player.

I don't have an upgrade licence. I bought two System Builder licences and I can't get an official download.

#50 Knightwolf20024

Knightwolf20024

Neowinian

• 871 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:47

I don't have an upgrade licence. I bought two System Builder licences and I can't get an official download.

i believe you still can by making an image of your disc from an image program and using the usb creation tool offered free from microsoft to make a usb installer

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!