• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,673 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 5235

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:53

You're welcome :) I wouldn't change that much about the 2nd pic....

I am sorry but didn't get you. Not change what about 2nd pic?

#17 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:55

well if the tree was unblurred it would kinda look funny... I kinda did a pic like that a few years ago and it was kinda wierd.... now if she was closer to the tree it would look nice to have the blur centered on her and the tree, but if both are too far from eachother it would look funny.

#18 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:01

Yeah, that's why i noticed but did not unblur. The tree is kinda large and would steal the focus away. I just wanted to show the lonely person. :)

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,290 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:09

btw for the Camera DOF filter gradient. I suggest, you crate a gradients starting at the bottom of the picture, then drag it up along the road until the point where you want max DOF. , probably up until the end of the road then.

Then you have to freehand a bit on the little hill on the left. and at every tree and such up, you use a color picker at the root of the tree(set the gradient layer as an 50% overlay on top so you can see the picture underneath) and then us the grey color you get from the root, and pain over the tree and branches, and do that for every tree.

Then you'll have a nice good enough depth map do adjust the DOF as you wish for the perfect DOF, I also believe the DOF plugin can change the type of bokeh you get.

Actually, with my Depth field and camera dof plugin method I suggest you do give the tree just a slight blur,otherwise it ends up looking unnatural, and I think you'll find it makes the pic more interesting, not steal focus away form the girl

#20 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:12

I actually used the Blur->Field option. How to combine it with gradient and create a map? I am sorry if it is a basic question. :)

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,290 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:40

I don't have photoshop here. but there's a special plugin for Camera DOF in photoshop that lets you use a gradient layer to decide the level of blur and also lets you change the blur to match different cameras and lens types as far as bokeh and such goes. it's not actually under the blur area of the menu as I recall.

#22 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 958 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:40

Personally, I really like the atmosphere of the original shot - reminds me of England.

Where is this photographed, by the way?

#23 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:20

I don't have photoshop here. but there's a special plugin for Camera DOF in photoshop that lets you use a gradient layer to decide the level of blur and also lets you change the blur to match different cameras and lens types as far as bokeh and such goes. it's not actually under the blur area of the menu as I recall.

Is it built in or do I get it elsewhere?

Personally, I really like the atmosphere of the original shot - reminds me of England.

Where is this photographed, by the way?

Thanks. Both are good to me, as I took the first picture. It is shot in Srinagar, India. :)

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,290 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 13:14

Just for fun I did a quick gradient depth map with just original image. the plugin is called Lens blur and is in fact under blur in the latest photoshop version.

just to show how easy it is to adjust the blur I did it with two different radius (blur amount) levels. all the other settings for highlight and curvature of the blades and such won't affect this picture because it doesn't have any bright lights.

I also attached the depth map, just a quick dirty one, which I applied a bit of gaussian blur to to soften the edges on. these are resized for the forums.

it's a built in plugin. as you can see the tree doesn't look out of place with less blur

Attached Images

• dofexample1.jpg
  • dofexample2.jpg
  • dofexample3.jpg

#25 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 13:22

Thanks, I will look into that option. The map you created, is that a layer mask?

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,290 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 14:07

Well it's just a grey scale gradient i drew on a few layers, combined into one, and they I pasted it into the layer mask of the layer so the lens blur filter could use it for a depth maps source.

#27 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 07 December 2012 - 14:13

Excellent work on the OP images the retouching is very nice.

#28 OP -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,673 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 14:17

Excellent work on the OP images the retouching is very nice.

Thanks! :)

Well it's just a grey scale gradient i drew on a few layers, combined into one, and they I pasted it into the layer mask of the layer so the lens blur filter could use it for a depth maps source.

Okay, thanks! Will try that.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!