Photo

George Zimmerman sues NBC for making him say racist comments?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:44

George Zimmerman sues NBC and reporters over edited 911 call

Published December 07, 2012
Associated Press

• Posted ImagePosted Image
    Posted Image

ORLANDO, Florida – George Zimmerman sued NBC on Thursday, claiming he was defamed when the network edited his emergency services call to police after the shooting of Trayvon Martin to make it sound like he was racist.
The former neighborhood watch volunteer filed the lawsuit seeking an undisclosed amount of money in Seminole County, outside Orlando. Also named in the complaint were three reporters covering the story for NBC or an NBC-owned television station.
The complaint said the airing of the edited call has inflicted emotional distress on Zimmerman, making him fear for his life and causing him to suffer nausea, insomnia and anxiety.
The lawsuit claims NBC edited his phone call to a dispatcher in February. In the call, Zimmerman describes following Martin in the gated community where he lived, just moments before he fatally shot the 17-year-old teen during a confrontation.
"NBC saw the death of Trayvon Martin not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings, and so set about to create a myth that George Zimmerman was a racist and predatory villain," the lawsuit claims.
NBC spokeswoman Kathy Kelly-Brown said the network strongly disagreed with the accusations made in the complaint.
"There was no intent to portray Mr. Zimmerman unfairly," she said. "We intend to vigorously defend our position in court."
Three employees of the network or its Miami affiliate lost their jobs because of the changes.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder but has pleaded not guilty, claiming self-defense under Florida's "stand your ground law."
The call viewers heard was trimmed to suggest that Zimmerman volunteered to police, with no prompting, that Martin was black: "This guy looks like he's up to no good. He looks black."
But the portion of the tape that was deleted had the emergency services dispatcher asking Zimmerman if the person who had raised his suspicion was "black, white or Hispanic," to which Zimmerman responded, "He looks black."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...s#ixzz2ENDGPQtT

#2 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,432 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:50

I hope he wins and get a 'sack-full' of that liberal top 2% money...... :laugh:

#3 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:51

I'm hope our system isn't so screwed up that he does win. NBC didn't make him say those things and if it comes off as racists, perhaps he needs to own it. He made those statements. I hope that Zimmerman goes to jail for the murder as well.

#4 +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• 3,214 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:13

^^
bull****. Editing comments to purposely take them out of context and
change their meaning is NOT news reporting. If true, I hope he wins.

#5 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,200 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:15

I'm hope our system isn't so screwed up that he does win. NBC didn't make him say those things and if it comes off as racists, perhaps he needs to own it. He made those statements. I hope that Zimmerman goes to jail for the murder as well.

Yes, he made those statements. But they were taken out of context to make it sound racist.

It's easy to take comments out of context to make someone sound bad. But it's not right. And it's downright criminal and dangerous when someone is on trial.

#6 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:29

Whether he is guilty or not, there is NO way that he's going to get a fair trial.

#7 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:43

Whether he is guilty or not, there is NO way that he's going to get a fair trial.

Fair is very subjective... Trayvon would have to be on the stand for that to happen.

#8 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• 8,534 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:49

Are you serious? He was asked by the dispatcher whether the person looked "black, white or hispanic". He then answered the question.

NBC edited out the part with the dispatcher asking the question and only included the answer which made it seem as though it was a racist comment made out of nowhere.

#9 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:56

This is pathetic and the OP should be ashamed. There were no "racist comments" made. The 911 operator asked Zimmerman to describe the individual including his race, clearly. He replied with "He looks black." NBC's edit was malicious and deliberately deceptive. Think what you want about the rest of the case but this is a clear-cut case of media fabrication in order to slander and individual.

#10 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

• 889 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:04

Think what you want about the rest of the case but this is a clear-cut case of media fabrication in order to slander and individual.

Absolutely. Let's not forget about the media trying to make it black vs. white by calling Zimmerman a "white Mexican". This case should upset people, the media is manipulating people, it's sick.  I realize it happens more often than we'd like to admit but it's even worse when it's so obvious. There's a huge difference between media basis and manipulating facts to change the narrative.

#11 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:05

Also, they make the word 'cold' to become a racist word.

#12 OP *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:20

Some people need to get a grip. That means you LMM. Zimmerman shouldn't benefit in anyway. He is a murderer.

#13 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

• 2,312 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:31

Can you say, "Lawyers fees."

#14 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,932 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:36

I will show you how when you pick and choose words out of a quote, it can change the context entirely.

I'm hope he does win. NBC comes off as racists. I hope murder as well.

:laugh:

I even left your words in order, just eliminated a few here and there. Changes your response entirely no?

#15 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,200 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:46

Some people need to get a grip. That means you LMM. Zimmerman shouldn't benefit in anyway. He is a murderer.

Self defense isn't murder. Perhaps excessive force, but the law is on his side.

This is a lesson everyone should learn: in absolutely no circumstance should you assault someone. It doesn't matter if they are following you. If someone is creeping you out, ignore, run away, or ask what their problem is. Don't surprise or jump them, even if they are smaller than you and you think you can take them. You never know who might have a gun.

Zimmerman followed him, but Zimmerman was well within his rights to walk over and say hello to him if he wanted. But he didn't. He lost sight of Martin. Then, tragedy. The rest is to be decided by the courts.

What Zimmerman was left with was a slandered reputation going into a murder trial. It's a shame that Martin can't testify, but that can't be helped.