interesting probable IT job scam I came across on craigslist

I was looking for some IT type gigs on craigslist (probably not the brightest of ideas) and found this. Being a bit naive I didn't realize it at first but I guess this is some kind of scam...

http://rockford.crai...3415773692.html

I replied to the above ad asking for some more information. Below is our brief email conversation. The scammer is in bold, I am in italic.

I have 7 Dell Inspiron(4GigRAM WIN7 OS 64Bit) switch laptops. Below is a list of work needed to be done on each PC.

1 Format Hard Drive

2 Install Win 7

3 Install Microsoft Office Package

4 AVG Virus Software

5 Adobe Acrobat Reader

I have OS software for each Machine

Get back to me with your total cost for the service

I await your response.

Best regards,

David

Thanks for getting back to me, do you have separate install discs for each machine so I could do the setups simultaneously? How about internet access? I would charge depending on that. Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply. I have all the necessary software needed for the service installations, it is also with Win 7 disk 1 key for each. Let me know the final asking price. I will instruct my Client to prepare a Check that will be drawn in your name.

Do send me details below

Full Name:

Physical Address:

City:

State:

Zipcode:

Cell phone #:

so as to prepare the check and shipping of the laptops to your address. I have a reliable shipper that will pickup the laptops when you are done with it. I look forward to your email so payment and shipping can be made out asap.

Thanks

David

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a few days past then I got this next email.

Hello (my first name)

I have 7 of my company's laptops (HP dv2500)for upgrading/reformatting, advice if both is part of your service line . All i need is you to remove Trojan virus that attacked all seven computers and re install avg free anti virus, And i want you to upgrade all computers from window vista Business to windows 7 professional. i have back up files for all computers,They have been attacked by various Trojan. Kindly advise the service charges for all the 7 laptop computers i mean how much is your charges if you to fixed all the laptop for me.

All computers are the same model,i want AVG home edition free anti virus,I will be providing windows 7 Professional Cd and License keys.

Looking forward to read from you.

Regards.

CEO

Martin Bridge

Setermech Service Solution

Must be they are trying to get me to take delivery on laptops bought with a stolen credit card or something then would ask me to reship them? Anyway I learned my lesson about looking for jobs on CL lol.

• 7 months later...

Have it delivered then just keep them and say you never got them.  Resell on CL.  Tell the guy you found these were stolen and turned them into the police to investigate. 

The check will go in your account and they will ask you to take out some of the money and send it to them via money gram. Few days later the check will bounce but you already lost your money. I heard about this. People need to stop this person. It has to be a team of scammers that does the same thing

Let me know the final asking price. I will instruct my Client to prepare a Check that will be drawn in your name.

in the end say you charge 100, more than likely he will respond saying he will write you a check for 1000 and you give him the change and obviously it will bounce and youll be out 1000 or he might even write it for 100 but it will still bounce

edit poster above me already pointed this out.

I had this happen when i tried to sell items on craiglist and knew right away what was going on