• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:01

PC To Beat Consoles In Game Sales By 2014

The future is looking bright for PC gaming, according to graphics card producer Nvidia. In a recent conference call, the company stated that it believes PC game sales will surpass that of consoles by 2014. Put on your rose-tinted glasses and keep reading to hear the company's explanation.

Techgage has a comprehensive breakdown of Nvidia's claims, but the thought process goes something like this: the longer the lifespan of each console generation gets, the more attractive PC gaming will become to consumers. Why, you ask? Because while the technology in the console on your entertainment stand will remain the same for 5+ years, PC technology is constantly evolving - you could upgrade your graphics card with something newer and better every year, if you are so inclined (and have the cash to do so).

While I can see some logic in the argument (being able to adapt quickly to new technology is never a bad thing), it also assumes that graphical processing power is the most important selling point to consumers (Nintendo Wii?), and overlooks the fact that most gamers are happy that the lifespan of consoles are increasing. After all, PC games have always looked better - some gamers just don't want to pay an arm and a leg for cutting edge technology when they can sit back on their couch, grab a controller, and play something that still looks pretty darn good.

That didn't stop Nvidia from putting together this nifty graph that predicts gaming sales out to 2015:

Posted Image

The rest of the article posits some other interesting ideas, including the importance of digital distribution and free-to-play games, so even if you doubt Nvidia's prophetic claims, it's worth checking out.

[via Destructoid]

#2 Yogurth

Yogurth

Neowinian

• 502 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:19

It was about time. PC is and always has been the best playing experience. It is infinitely flexible, graphics are best on PC, controller is the best (Mouse + Keyboard), sound can be the best....etc. The only thing slowing PC down are exclusive contracts with developers...which sucks balls, since not even these will be able to prevent the kill off of the gaming console.

#3 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:23

GL With that bro, (seen this type of chart before)
(Although Technically I suppose the latest xbox and ps3 could be considered pc's in their own right, that tech has moved in leaps and bounds, but I think games consoles are still safe as pc's aren't as 'instantly playable'.)

#4 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:27

It's just about right, gaming in consoles is definitely not the same as it was with playstation 2 / gamecube / dreamcast... and prededesors, PCs simply offer the best experience, not to mention steam...

Gaming nowadays is almost ruined in consoles, mostly by the greedy companies out there, not to mention that great games are simply ignored by not being heavily publicized as others, steam has greenlight, and I got Gianna Sisters from there.

#5 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,095 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:32

It was about time. PC is and always has been the best playing experience. It is infinitely flexible, graphics are best on PC, controller is the best (Mouse + Keyboard), sound can be the best....etc. The only thing slowing PC down are exclusive contracts with developers...which sucks balls, since not even these will be able to prevent the kill off of the gaming console.

KB+M is only good for RTS and FPS (edit: and P&C games) - if I'm playing something like Assassin's Creed or a racing game, or even Trine, you can bet your last penny I'll be using a controller for those games, and this is coming from an enthusiast PC builder.

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:37

KB+M is only good for RTS and FPS (edit: and P&C games) - if I'm playing something like Assassin's Creed or a racing game, or even Trine, you can bet your last penny I'll be using a controller for those games, and this is coming from an enthusiast PC builder.

Well, you get both on the PC. But really, there's no way they mean uber-gaming-PCs in this chart, it's phones + tablets + PCs > consoles in the future. AAA games though? Always going to be console first.

#7 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:37

Yeah, gaming on PC... curiously enough, requires the mandatory gamepad from a console, be either Dualshock 3 or Sixaxis, otherwise feels weird :D

#8 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:48

I could see this happening for several reasons. PC gaming isn't as expensive as it used to be. Hardware prices are lower and developers are making more free-to-play games. Console hardware, on the other hand, is expensive on launch and successful games like Call of Duty or even Halo rarely drop in price (from the $60 launch price).

Also, modding is making a comeback with games like Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and even Far Cry 3 (as evidenced by a recent "hack" to hide the game's UI). Another thing is that developers are finally treating the PC platform with respect. More and more games are dropping support for DX9 and Windows XP. They're also adding features like changeable FOV, high-res textures, and DX11-specific features (like tessellation and DX11 AA).

And one thing I just remembered is the recent crowd-funding phenomenon. It has shown that gamers are willing to pay for games that publishers refuse fund. I'm talking about previously ignored genres like space sims (e.g. Star Citizen), old-school RPGs (e.g. Project Eternity, Wasteland 2) and point-and-click adventure games (e.g. Double Fine Adventure).

With third-person games, it's a matter of preference but I'm sure most people would prefer to use a controller for racing games. Everything else would be better with a mouse and keyboard.

#9 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:51

Gaming on console is so damn convinient though, nothing beats laying down in your sofa like the worlds worst sloth and relax infront of the tv. Although yea I do agree with the fact that pc will most of the time be way ahead in terms of the latest tech.

#10 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,201 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:56

It's true that the consoles took far too long to be replaced, but assuming the PCs growth will continue unabated is just ignorance with new consoles due before or in 2014.

#11 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,161 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:15

I think consoles are going to start filling more and more roles that used to be filled by both PCs and set-top boxes. Eventually the two bars in that graph are going to merge and know one's going to know the difference between the two.

#12 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,307 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:15

Maybe the next gen of consoles will have better and easier upgrade paths?

#13 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:38

PC gaming isn't as expensive as it used to be.

:blink: You're kidding right? I lucked into a very good deal on my current video card, but a comparable one at the moment would cost me about 3/4 of what I paid for my PS3. I've looked at quite a few video card upgrades recently and it is far more expensive than I remember... my first self-build had an (at the time) awesome video card that cost "just" £130 and lasted me a good 3 years of "maxed" graphics in games and another 2 of "high" to "medium". And back then the gulf between console and PC graphics was far larger than it is now, IMHO.

and successful games like Call of Duty or even Halo rarely drop in price (from the $60 launch price).

That isn't any different on the PC. Activision still want £40 for Blacks Ops on Steam and £20 for MW, while physical copies seem to roughly match the console prices. The issue is a certain greedy developer.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,887 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:47

I disagree. I love the AC games, and with a 5 button mouse the only things I use regularly on my keyboard are the direction keys. I couldn't imagine performing some of the complex movements as quickly and with as much precision on a gamepad as I do with my keyboard and mouse.

#15 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,127 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:58

PC hardware costs more but the games cost considerably less. The advantage of PC gaming is that you can spend what you want on them and they are hugely flexible - quad-GPUs, triple-monitors, 3D, eight-core CPUs, dual-CPUs, solid state drives, 32GB of RAM, steering wheels / joysticks / gamepads, virtual reality headsets, touchscreens, etc. Consoles are for gamers on a budget; PCs are for gamers who actually care about graphical fidelity, performance and innovation. Don't get me wrong though, even as a PC gamer I acknowledge that console gaming has had a major influence on gaming as it has allowed for massive budget multi-platform titles like Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, Far Cry 3, etc.

I love PC gaming and while there are some really innovative console exclusives, the poor performance, gamepad limitations and poor graphical fidelity mean that I'd prefer to skip them than have a consoles that I'd barely ever use.