html javascript jquery

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 10 December 2012 - 15:07

I'd say forget the past and look at the future, so use CSS3 instead of jQuery if possible ^^

CSS will not let him control the animation unless he uses CSS3 transition property which is not supported in any version of IE (maybe IE10 not sure). If he uses hover only it will be small then all of a sudden it will be big. I don't think this is what he wants. I'm not a big fan of handling user intercaction and animation using CSS3 personally as it is limited and not really what CSS has been created for.

I don't see the problem with using Javascript in this particular case. It's user interaction on click.

#17 +Seahorsepip

Seahorsepip

http://seapip.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 23
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 December 2012 - 15:29

CSS will not let him control the animation unless he uses CSS3 transition property which is not supported in any version of IE (maybe IE10 not sure). If he uses hover only it will be small then all of a sudden it will be big. I don't think this is what he wants. I'm not a big fan of handling user intercaction and animation using CSS3 personally as it is limited and not really what CSS has been created for.

I don't see the problem with using Javascript in this particular case. It's user interaction on click.

ie10 supports everything that chrome and firefox supports including animations, I'd rather have something working in 80% of the browser market instead of the 20% internet explorer market, and I'm talking about the consumer market, not the bussines market which is the opposite lol.

#18 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 10 December 2012 - 15:35

i need support for ie6 :((((((((((((

You don't need to support IE6 unless it's an intranet or extranet web app.

The only support you have to give for a public web site is content accessibility. Everything else is eye candy and can be ignored. Of course supporting browsers with a high market share is a given. But IE 6 market share is really low these days.

If someone ask you IE6 support challenge him. If he still want support ask him to pay for.

My shop dropped IE6 support in summer 2011. The only thing we guarantee for IE 6 is content accessibility.

The example i posted previously works (post #5). You can modifiy it to fit your need.

ie10 supports everything that chrome and firefox supports including animations, I'd rather have something working in 80% of the browser market instead of the 20% internet explorer market, and I'm talking about the consumer market, not the bussines market which is the opposite lol.

Using Javascript to animate the box on click wont make it works in only the 20% IE market. It will perfectly work in Firefox and Chrome. Imo using JS to handle use interaction is not bad practice at all as long as the web site is not bloated with over 3000 lines of Javascript spaghetti code. In this case it's really a simple JQuery line of code executed only when the user click the div. Nothing wrong with that imo. It's simple. Elegant. Does the job.