Wii U cracked?

Only first party titles and only barely,nothing that would keep the company alive. and that doesn't take dev costs into account.

Sorry but the amount f users who genuinely want to do homebrew and stuff like that instead of pirating is so small percentage wise that it's irrelevant and their "inconvenience" is of no concern, regular legal users don't even notice the DRM in modern consoles.

and for those that want to do homebrew, well that's what computers are for.

Do you know that the lifespan of optical discs is limited?

Keeping backups around is crucial to future retro gamers.

I might be in the minority to even care about that and homebrew, but I don't give a damn.

More people should care.

You're being striped from your right (local differences or exceptions apply) to make a backup.

Whenever a game is not produced anymore, the time's ticking for the game discs and they eventually will get scarce (working copies).

A console and its games free from DRM would help retro gamers being able to still play those games, alternatively an emulator, problem is, modern consoles don't get emulators built for anymore it seems.

The most current gen emulator there is for popular stationary consoles is the Wii, and that's just because it's not too different from a GC, so practically, we're soooo far behind.

I know I know... Many won't care because "good titles" will get ported officially to future systems, but:

a) only the original title is playable on the original system

b) spend the money again for a title you only can't play because they decided to give your property an expiration date (I reject the idea that I only license stuff, I know I'm making myself live in my own world and it's not true to what I consent to when buying, but I'm old fashioned: When I buy a game, I buy the game and the license merely is a friendly reminder to not exaggerate my use and turn into misuse or sell illegal copies)

c) A future port won't be able to use my old gamesave that might be valuable to me

d) There are more reasons, but I get tired of typing, especially as I'm about to start a movie. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Eh? What a dumb attitude. Some of the best games for consoles are homebrew. REAXION is by far one of the best games made, starting on C64 and being ported to loads of consoles, a score save feature would make it awesome but it's brilliant as-is for the GBA for instance.

Irrelevant. It's not sold as an open product, the PC is. if you want to do homebrew use consoles that allows homebrew like the XBOX and follow the limitations imposed on that, or develop a proper real title.

Do you know that the lifespan of optical discs is limited?

Keeping backups around is crucial to future retro gamers.

I might be in the minority to even care about that and homebrew, but I don't give a damn.

More people should care.

You're being striped from your right (local differences or exceptions apply) to make a backup.

Whenever a game is not produced anymore, the time's ticking for the game discs and they eventually will get scarce (working copies).

A console and its games free from DRM would help retro gamers being able to still play those games, alternatively an emulator, problem is, modern consoles don't get emulators built for anymore it seems.

The most current gen emulator there is for popular stationary consoles is the Wii, and that's just because it's not too different from a GC, so practically, we're soooo far behind.

I know I know... Many won't care because "good titles" will get ported officially to future systems, but:

a) only the original title is playable on the original system

b) spend the money again for a title you only can't play because they decided to give your property an expiration date (I reject the idea that I only license stuff, I know I'm making myself live in my own world and it's not true to what I consent to when buying, but I'm old fashioned: When I buy a game, I buy the game and the license merely is a friendly reminder to not exaggerate my use and turn into misuse or sell illegal copies)

c) A future port won't be able to use my old gamesave that might be valuable to me

d) There are more reasons, but I get tired of typing, especially as I'm about to start a movie. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

But all that is IRRELEVANT, you're buying a locked down console. not an open development platform. as or the lifetime of optical discs, pressed discs(aka, not homeburnt ones) have a much longer lifetime than your console hardware. the issue you're thinking of with the lifetime of optical discs is in regards to those you burn at home which get mold in them eating up the foil. ALSO, a problem that's mostly CD, not so much DVD where the foil is encased inside the plastic. CD has a lifetime of ~5 years in moist and hot climates for home burnt ones, longer for pressed ones. DVD's far outlive that.

Also emulator have f all to do with the console being open and hacked and having homebrew on it, and you can emulate a locked console just fine.

Either way it's irrelevant, as you buy a console with the locks and limitations it comes with, if you want an open platform that lives "forever" and an play games from the dawn of days, it's called a PC. Dosbox and virtual machines let you play anything from dos to 9x to XP games on a modern win8 machine. and without breaking licenses.

Irrelevant. It's not sold as an open product, the PC is. if you want to do homebrew use consoles that allows homebrew like the XBOX and follow the limitations imposed on that, or develop a proper real title.

Windows 8 isn't sold as an open product.

Homebrew isn't illegal, and why should it.

Apple threatened jailbreakers that it was illegal, took it further and lost, now their mission is to **** off and brick all their devices that have been jailbroken but each time they get out-witted.

windows 8 isn't sold as an open product ? really ? you're saying I can't run virtual all the games I want on my windows, I can't run all my old win32 apps, I can't run dosbox or virtualbox..

that's weird since I am.

From another website, "40 character hex strings are usually SHA1 hashes, not encryption keys. It's [probably] an SHA1 for a code release/utility/exploit to be released in 8 days time"

Windows 8 isn't sold as an open product.

Homebrew isn't illegal, and why should it.

Apple threatened jailbreakers that it was illegal, took it further and lost, now their mission is to **** off and brick all their devices that have been jailbroken but each time they get out-witted.

That kind of depends on your definition of an "open product" - since that's highly ambiguous, what I'm highly assuming Hawkman means is that Windows 8 is an open platform - i.e. anyone who can code can make apps for Windows 8, as well as being able to run any app you like from any source you like. What I'm assuming you thought he meant was open source, which the overwhelming majority of Windows isn't.

Open platform != Open source.

A game console predominantly (but not inherently) is a closed platform, only certain developers can code apps for it and you can only run apps that the manufacturer tells you you can run. Hence why homebrew is such a big thing, as it breaks the shackles of a closed platform.

In a perfect world I'd love for homebrew possibilities to be there for every console but with the ability to run custom code usually comes with the ability to pirate games. The only trouble in this day and age is that homebrew is largely there for utility. media app, and emulator developers (for things like office utils, video streamers, etc) - with the rise of being able to make a game and distribute it yourself via the likes of Steam or even through consoles themselves reasonably easily (and not to mention mobile devices) the interest from taking the time to make a game for an install base that relies on soft-modded consoles simply doesn't work out that well anymore.

Nevertheless, I'd love to see some emulator action on the Wii U - the idea of being able to play PS2 or N64 games on that Gamepad is just too awesome.

Fail0verflow just tweeted this:

As usual, we failed. Correction: 3d331b3165f9638c6cd6221702b2f736f7fcf931 . We forgot to trim a bit of garbage padding.[/CODE]

[/font][/color]