32 replies to this topic

#16 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• 181 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:01

it's people like you that cause hacking of consoles to be looked down on

Hey that's not true...I just like getting stuff for free. What's wrong with that?

#17 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• 6,208 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:02

Hey that's not true...I just like getting stuff for free. What's wrong with that?

#18 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:03

No, it's due to people thinking that people like him can be stopped by those doomed-to-fail attempts, which are thought to be justified even in spite of all the legitimate users who get screwed by them.

Don't distract from the decision makers in terms of who to hold responsible, otherwise you're letting them have a field-day defending bullcrap decisions that are limiting you - the honest buyer.

Glassed Silver:mac

#19 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,059 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:03

so? people like to know what they can find out about things. wasn't the term "hacker" coined to see what people could learn about hardware and software?just to see what it's guts were all about?

#20 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• 181 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:14

No, it's due to people thinking that people like him can be stopped by those doomed-to-fail attempts, which are thought to be justified even in spite of all the legitimate users who get screwed by them.

Don't distract from the decision makers in terms of who to hold responsible, otherwise you're giving them a field-day in self-defense for bullcrap decisions and limiting you.
It's like saying DRM is justified, even though the pirates get their stuff for free anyways, but we can all feel better doing something, even if we cut into our own flesh.

so? people like to know what they can find out about things. wasn't the term "hacker" coined to see what people could learn about hardware and software?just to see what it's guts were all about?

I agree with the both of you on this one. :)

#21 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:20

And the sales go up...

#22 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,080 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:33

Fail0verflow just posted a new blog post: http://fail0verflow....2012/8days.html

Their post was the following key, they are heavily involved in the original wii hacking:

27181eb3cc988732fc416563c6f21b4a34b88a05

I doubt that's the master encryption keys, somehow. Seems way too easy to be true.

However, if it is... extremely bad times for Nintendo. Piracy rampant from the 1st month = major issue for Nintendo. The Wii was saved from this due to the technical hurdles being involved which discouraged most users (who were casual gamers) from doing it - the Wii U doesn't really have this backup as of yet. Not only that, but Nintendo aren't profiting directly from the Wii U either.

#23 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

• 2,212 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:36

I doubt that's the master encryption keys, somehow. Seems way too easy to be true.

However, if it is... extremely bad times for Nintendo. Piracy rampant from the 1st month = major issue for Nintendo. The Wii was saved from this due to the technical hurdles being involved which discouraged most users (who were casual gamers) from doing it - the Wii U doesn't really have this backup as of yet. Not only that, but Nintendo aren't profiting directly from the Wii U either.

Nintendo makes money from Wii U after one game is sold.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,224 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:54

Nintendo makes money from Wii U after one game is sold.

Only first party titles and only barely,nothing that would keep the company alive. and that doesn't take dev costs into account.

Don't distract from the decision makers in terms of who to hold responsible, otherwise you're letting them have a field-day defending bullcrap decisions that are limiting you - the honest buyer.

Sorry but the amount f users who genuinely want to do homebrew and stuff like that instead of pirating is so small percentage wise that it's irrelevant and their "inconvenience" is of no concern, regular legal users don't even notice the DRM in modern consoles.

and for those that want to do homebrew, well that's what computers are for.

#25 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,134 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:00

No, it was coined from old programmers 'hacking' pieces of code together to make programs that might potentially work.

Eh? What a dumb attitude. Some of the best games for consoles are homebrew. REAXION is by far one of the best games made, starting on C64 and being ported to loads of consoles, a score save feature would make it awesome but it's brilliant as-is for the GBA for instance.

#26 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:03

Only first party titles and only barely,nothing that would keep the company alive. and that doesn't take dev costs into account.

Sorry but the amount f users who genuinely want to do homebrew and stuff like that instead of pirating is so small percentage wise that it's irrelevant and their "inconvenience" is of no concern, regular legal users don't even notice the DRM in modern consoles.

Do you know that the lifespan of optical discs is limited?

Keeping backups around is crucial to future retro gamers.
I might be in the minority to even care about that and homebrew, but I don't give a damn.
More people should care.
You're being striped from your right (local differences or exceptions apply) to make a backup.

Whenever a game is not produced anymore, the time's ticking for the game discs and they eventually will get scarce (working copies).
A console and its games free from DRM would help retro gamers being able to still play those games, alternatively an emulator, problem is, modern consoles don't get emulators built for anymore it seems.
The most current gen emulator there is for popular stationary consoles is the Wii, and that's just because it's not too different from a GC, so practically, we're soooo far behind.

I know I know... Many won't care because "good titles" will get ported officially to future systems, but:
a) only the original title is playable on the original system
b) spend the money again for a title you only can't play because they decided to give your property an expiration date (I reject the idea that I only license stuff, I know I'm making myself live in my own world and it's not true to what I consent to when buying, but I'm old fashioned: When I buy a game, I buy the game and the license merely is a friendly reminder to not exaggerate my use and turn into misuse or sell illegal copies)
c) A future port won't be able to use my old gamesave that might be valuable to me
d) There are more reasons, but I get tired of typing, especially as I'm about to start a movie. :)

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,224 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:04

Eh? What a dumb attitude. Some of the best games for consoles are homebrew. REAXION is by far one of the best games made, starting on C64 and being ported to loads of consoles, a score save feature would make it awesome but it's brilliant as-is for the GBA for instance.

Irrelevant. It's not sold as an open product, the PC is. if you want to do homebrew use consoles that allows homebrew like the XBOX and follow the limitations imposed on that, or develop a proper real title.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,224 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:11

Do you know that the lifespan of optical discs is limited?

Keeping backups around is crucial to future retro gamers.
I might be in the minority to even care about that and homebrew, but I don't give a damn.
More people should care.
You're being striped from your right (local differences or exceptions apply) to make a backup.

Whenever a game is not produced anymore, the time's ticking for the game discs and they eventually will get scarce (working copies).
A console and its games free from DRM would help retro gamers being able to still play those games, alternatively an emulator, problem is, modern consoles don't get emulators built for anymore it seems.
The most current gen emulator there is for popular stationary consoles is the Wii, and that's just because it's not too different from a GC, so practically, we're soooo far behind.

I know I know... Many won't care because "good titles" will get ported officially to future systems, but:
a) only the original title is playable on the original system
b) spend the money again for a title you only can't play because they decided to give your property an expiration date (I reject the idea that I only license stuff, I know I'm making myself live in my own world and it's not true to what I consent to when buying, but I'm old fashioned: When I buy a game, I buy the game and the license merely is a friendly reminder to not exaggerate my use and turn into misuse or sell illegal copies)
c) A future port won't be able to use my old gamesave that might be valuable to me
d) There are more reasons, but I get tired of typing, especially as I'm about to start a movie. :)

But all that is IRRELEVANT, you're buying a locked down console. not an open development platform. as or the lifetime of optical discs, pressed discs(aka, not homeburnt ones) have a much longer lifetime than your console hardware. the issue you're thinking of with the lifetime of optical discs is in regards to those you burn at home which get mold in them eating up the foil. ALSO, a problem that's mostly CD, not so much DVD where the foil is encased inside the plastic. CD has a lifetime of ~5 years in moist and hot climates for home burnt ones, longer for pressed ones. DVD's far outlive that.

Also emulator have f all to do with the console being open and hacked and having homebrew on it, and you can emulate a locked console just fine.

Either way it's irrelevant, as you buy a console with the locks and limitations it comes with, if you want an open platform that lives "forever" and an play games from the dawn of days, it's called a PC. Dosbox and virtual machines let you play anything from dos to 9x to XP games on a modern win8 machine. and without breaking licenses.

#29 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,134 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:27

Irrelevant. It's not sold as an open product, the PC is. if you want to do homebrew use consoles that allows homebrew like the XBOX and follow the limitations imposed on that, or develop a proper real title.

Windows 8 isn't sold as an open product.
Homebrew isn't illegal, and why should it.
Apple threatened jailbreakers that it was illegal, took it further and lost, now their mission is to **** off and brick all their devices that have been jailbroken but each time they get out-witted.

#30 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,224 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:31

windows 8 isn't sold as an open product ? really ? you're saying I can't run virtual all the games I want on my windows, I can't run all my old win32 apps, I can't run dosbox or virtualbox..

that's weird since I am.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!