Higher Ping on High End Desktop Via Wired Ethernet

I am experiencing higher ping and lag in Team Fortress 2 on my high end desktop via a wired connection. On my desktop I get around 30ms - 40+ ms ping, however I just received a new laptop and my ping on that over wireless is consistently under 20ms. I am not sure what is the cause of this but I've tried everything to lower my ping on my desktop such as adding TCPNoDelay 1 or TcpAckFrequency 1 in the registry for the adapter, enabling MSMQ queuing server, setting NetworkThrottlingIndex to FFFFFFFFF for the multimedia class scheduler. None of that did much to lower my ping and reduce my lag in Team Fortress 2. I am starting to think my Realtek ethernet controller may be at fault as I can't deduce anything else causing the higher ping.

If anyone might know what my problem is please post a solution, thanks. :)

Ping to where? So is your wireless to same device you have wired too. Are you viewing pings in game or from cmd prompt in os - again to where? You sure your wireless is not connected to network across the street? Etc, etc

Wireless is going to have more latency issues. So we need to make sure we comparing apples to apples

Well something weird, in TF2 when the fps is capped at 30fps or I can not get any higher than 30fps my ping is halved. However when the game is not capped and I get full speed or better my ping doubles.

and 30ms pings are high for you? the only game i play is battlefield 3 on 100+ pings which is a FPS and i happen to represent one of the bests asia's competitive teams.

I can only wish for anything below 100. :D ****ty internet problems.

OT: would you happen to have windows 7 on one computer and 8 on the other? i've heard some people were having latency issues with win 8.

and 30ms pings are high for you? the only game i play is battlefield 3 on 100+ pings which is a FPS and i happen to represent one of the bests asia's competitive teams.

I can only wish for anything below 100. :D ****ty internet problems.

OT: would you happen to have windows 7 on one computer and 8 on the other? i've heard some people were having latency issues with win 8.

Well I do play on a NY server so technically ping should be a bit lower. I only ping around 45ms - 55ms to Florida and around 90ms at most to California. It seems something is artificially inflating my ping with fps as mentioned in my last post.

Edit: It's not so much the ping but the lag I get even with low ping. I am testing a fresh Win7 install and so far noticed less ingame lag but I'd really hate to re-install everything again on a new install.

Well I do play on a NY server so technically ping should be a bit lower. I only ping around 45ms - 55ms to Florida and around 90ms at most to California. It seems something is artificially inflating my ping with fps as mentioned in my last post.

does it spike up and come back down or is just stable-high all the time on the PC?

does it spike up and come back down or is just stable-high all the time on the PC?

It fluctuates a bit but it usually evens out at 30ms. When I cap my ingame fps at 30fps it goes down to 15ms.

It fluctuates a bit but it usually evens out at 30ms. When I cap my ingame fps at 30fps it goes down to 15ms.

Ping the server IP directly in windows and see what ping are you getting, if its lesser then 15ms.. then you know its the game messing up and not your PC.

I am experiencing higher ping and lag in Team Fortress 2 on my high end desktop via a wired connection. On my desktop I get around 30ms - 40+ ms ping, however I just received a new laptop and my ping on that over wireless is consistently under 20ms. I am not sure what is the cause of this but I've tried everything to lower my ping on my desktop such as adding TCPNoDelay 1 or TcpAckFrequency 1 in the registry for the adapter, enabling MSMQ queuing server, setting NetworkThrottlingIndex to FFFFFFFFF for the multimedia class scheduler. None of that did much to lower my ping and reduce my lag in Team Fortress 2. I am starting to think my Realtek ethernet controller may be at fault as I can't deduce anything else causing the higher ping.

If anyone might know what my problem is please post a solution, thanks. :)

Realtek kit is pretty cheap, but you might still try updating the drivers for it if you haven't.

Lets see your ping times to your router, or your isp gateway. Your talking ping times in a game, that may have nothing to do with actual latency on the network. Or ping the server from the OS as suggested, again you need to take the game out of the picture to see if its something else related - like your drivers on your nic, etc.

Yeah, I just found out that it appears to be a bug with the game. At 30fps the displayed ping is halved, pinging the server directly shows me pinging 30ms to the server.

Not reason seems he already discovered its a bug in game, which is what it seemed like from the get go. Just did not have the info to show it without details like what your pinging, what networks the devices were on, for all we knew the wired box was behind 3 nats, while the wireless was on the next door wireless that has fiber connection to internet while his connection is SAT behind 3 nats, etc. etc..