46 posts in this topic

Posted

In the last 60 years, the USA has spent $30 trillion (past $ inflated to 2013 value) in the name ofdefense. The US military is no doubt years ahead of all other nations, but could have the money been put to better use? How has the average US citizen benefited from this? Do think it has got a good return on this spending? Or has it been almost a total waste?

note: the total spending could be higher if you include other factors.

Posted

Still don't think that's enough, a decent global defence system that can counter meteorites, earth launched missiles, 'unknown outside interference' etc..., we're talking about the most advanced computer targetting systems available, not to mention the constant upgrading needed to keep ahead..
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='rippleman' timestamp='1355020082' post='595378336']
In the last 60 years, the USA has spent $30 trillion (past $ inflated to 2013 value) in the name ofdefense. The US military is no doubt years ahead of all other nations, but could have the money been put to better use? How has the average US citizen benefited from this? Do think it has got a good return on this spending? Or has it been almost a total waste?

[/quote]

I heard at the time of the USSR's collapse that they were spending 75% over every one of their dollars on defense due to the announcement, although well faked about the US having success on star wars. Panic hit and they went belly up by spending so much on defense... I heard we are currently spending somewhere around 46%. We had better wake up and fast. won't take much to go from 46% to 75%...

Posted

[/quote]

Oh I don't know, how about the fact that you don't have to speak German, Japanese or Russian as the official language?

Better yet, how about the fact we're not a Taliban state run by Osama Bin Laden.
1 person likes this

Posted

The amount spent doesn't necessarily mean a better equipped military. Lots of that money is lost in projects which never materialise and through wasteful spending, feature creep.

Posted

[/quote]

As usual you people forget one huge thing, the thousands if not millions of people working for defense contractors all over the US and the world, without that spending most if not all would be unemployed or under employed, just the money made back in corporate and personal taxes makes the amount not really matter in the long run. As a Canadian your Country has also benefited by our Defense spending, one in essentially us protecting you with our equipment, the equipment you have bought from American contractors and even in jobs for Canadians that eventually ends up in the Canadian Government's coffers to better serve you the Canadian people.

And to humor you, we'd still be in huge debt, we'd just have more people dependent on Government checks for survival, that's the reality of the situation, and I'm glad we spend as much as we do in Defense
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='ncoday' timestamp='1355020635' post='595378356']
Oh I don't know, how about the fact that you don't have to speak German, Japanese or Russian as the official language?

Better yet, how about the fact we're not a Taliban state run by Osama Bin Laden.
[/quote]

So you're saying the Taliban had the capability to invade Western nations and beat them in a war?
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1355021283' post='595378380']
So you're saying the Taliban had the capability to invade Western nations and beat them in a war?
[/quote]

Look at some European Countries, they are one election away from becoming Muslim States, might not have been an invasion in the typical sense, but they are slowly invading most Countries.

Posted

[quote name='z0phi3l' timestamp='1355021403' post='595378382']
Look at some European Countries, they are one election away from becoming Muslim States, might not have been an invasion in the typical sense, but they are slowly invading most Countries.
[/quote]

I agree. They quietly assimilated themselves in europe. doesn't have to be armed assault rather they have leaned on the social services in Germany as an example like illegals have here in the US

Posted

We need more offense spending. No point in massing up armies or getting supply blocked if we're not building expansions and spreading creep across the map.

Posted

[/quote]

Are you SERIOUS? What do you mean "How have we benefited from this?" WE ARE SAFE FROM TERRORISTS SIR. THAT'S HOW.

;p

maybe 2 trillion of that could have gone towards proper medical care for everyone. Instead we try to make other countries 'safe' and help them.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='McKay' timestamp='1355021283' post='595378380']
[/quote]

Seriously? :/

Right now because we spent that money on defense, NO!

However, if we did not spend that money on defense, YES!

Posted

Well lets put it this way, we are the most advanced military in the world, let me ask you this, although I love nothing more than peacetime, would you like to send our men and women into the battlefield with waterguns and sticks?

Posted

[quote name='rippleman' timestamp='1355020082' post='595378336']How has the average US citizen benefited from this?[/quote]

How do John and Jane Q Average benefit from spending money on INCREASING OUR LINES OF DEFENSE?

I dunno...I mean, that's a tough one.

Posted

A lot of the technology the world has is due to R&D of the US government. Not to mention a lot of the money goes to paying the salaries of soldiers.

Do I think we should be spending that much? No. But it absolutely isn't all going to waste.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='joep1984' timestamp='1355025351' post='595378504']
How do John and Jane Q Average benefit from spending money on INCREASING OUR LINES OF DEFENSE?

I dunno...I mean, that's a tough one.
[/quote]you missed the way the question was intended.

[quote name='Fl3x1bl3' timestamp='1355024397' post='595378468']
Are you SERIOUS? What do you mean "How have we benefited from this?" WE ARE SAFE FROM TERRORISTS SIR. THAT'S HOW.
[/quote]you missed the way the question was intended.

Posted

[quote name='rippleman' timestamp='1355027626' post='595378538']
you missed the way the question was intended.

you missed the way the question was intended.
[/quote]

Ok, how was it intended?

Posted

Well, lets have a look, government funded r & d, the government has black budgets which we average citizens never hear their pricetags, like for example, the F117 bomber, costed the U.S a ton of cash, and the 64 fighter planes are..... mothballed, yea this is the kind of stuff that worries me about our military.

Posted

[quote name='Dushmany' timestamp='1355020347' post='595378348']
Still don't think that's enough, a decent global defence system that can counter meteorites, earth launched missiles, 'unknown outside interference' etc..., we're talking about the most advanced computer targetting systems available, not to mention the constant upgrading needed to keep ahead..
[/quote]

for what?

If you meant for Survival of Humans, better they need to spend those money on giving better facilities for sustainability of human. Right now, the amount of pollution that US produces is kind enough to kill yourself. Not even third party is needed

Posted

This whole thread makes me want to jump down a flight of stairs and not look back.
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='ncoday' timestamp='1355030439' post='595378570']
Ok, how was it intended?
[/quote]not sure how to put it. as in "explain how its helped you personally" kind of thing.

[quote name='z0phi3l' timestamp='1355021122' post='595378372']
As a Canadian your Country has also benefited by our Defense spending, one in essentially us protecting you with our equipment,
[/quote]you don't do it for us, you do it for you :) big difference.

Posted

Well....NORAD does use both U,S and Canadian planes, so that last post is ehhh...

Posted

[quote name='rippleman' timestamp='1355032335' post='595378584']
not sure how to put it. as in "explain how its helped you personally" kind of thing.

you don't do it for us, you do it for you :) big difference.
[/quote]

In terms of how its helped me personnally, how about this technology that likely wouldn't exist as it first started as militry technology:
- GPS
- Internet
- Digital Photography
- Radar
- Jet Engines
- Walkie Talkies
- Rubber
- Teflon
- Anesthesia

[quote name='AnotherITguy' timestamp='1355034108' post='595378614']
Well....NORAD does use both U,S and Canadian planes, so that last post is ehhh...
[/quote]

Canadian military leadership also rotates in to command NORAD with Canadian soldiers stationed there, a little known fact. It is NOT just a US military installation. It may be on US soil, but it is not solely a US military base.

Posted

Well, for one, the internet came from US defense spending.

Posted

This thread is filled with a bit of irony... you are posting online.... you know... on the internet... that's how. Learn some history.