pondering over getting a 2nd 7970

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP rageagainstmachine

rageagainstmachine

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 00:17

well

let us know how it goes - AMDs CPUs arent as powerful for gaming as Intels CPUs. That's a great processor, but i feel that it's still holding you back.

Get that CPU stable then check your fps. After that, just get another 7970 :shifty:

I believe, if I can remember correctly, 6100, when overclocked to around 4.2 or 4.4 GHz was, then, able to match i3' performance

Do let us know anyway how it goes

I use the BIOS, easiest way is to bump up the Multiplier, it works in simple terms like this

FSB is 200MHz
Multiplier is x17

200x17 = 3.4GHz (That is my CPU config)

Bump the multiplier from x17 to x18 and you get another 200MHz = 3.6GHz or 3600MHz

Same if you up the FSB, 200>210 x 17 = 3570MHz

But increasing the FSB will also OC your RAM so best to stick with the multiplier unless you want to try OCing other things too

If you get a bluescreen or no boot, bump the CPU voltage up a tiny amount

My CPU from 3.4GHz to 4GHz = from 1.35v to 1.49v but always try to stabilize the OC with the least amount of voltage

well im currently at 4.11GHz and appears to be now stable after a couple of minor cranks of the voltage. i had only two freeze ups, mid game. no bsods. didnt take much additional voltage to get her stable either. May push her a little further tomorrow. added 0.4 onto my windows score too! think she will go further. but i'll be honest, cant say im noticing much if any increase in FPS in game!

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:16

well

well im currently at 4.11GHz and appears to be now stable after a couple of minor cranks of the voltage. i had only two freeze ups, mid game. no bsods. didnt take much additional voltage to get her stable either. May push her a little further tomorrow. added 0.4 onto my windows score too! think she will go further. but i'll be honest, cant say im noticing much if any increase in FPS in game!

Nice work :)

You will mainly see better FPS in games that are heavily CPU dependant and/or your CPU was, in the first place the bottleneck, nothing bad about gaining over 700MHz on your CPU for free though ;)

Prime95 is one of the favourites for CPU stability, personally I gage it on real life use, if I can use my machine 100% with no problems, then it is 100% stable for me, P95 will crash the most stable machines

But also, I have seen OC's pass hours of P95 only to crash during gaming so take it as you will :)

#18 OP rageagainstmachine

rageagainstmachine

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:06

Nice work :)

You will mainly see better FPS in games that are heavily CPU dependant and/or your CPU was, in the first place the bottleneck, nothing bad about gaining over 700MHz on your CPU for free though ;)

Prime95 is one of the favourites for CPU stability, personally I gage it on real life use, if I can use my machine 100% with no problems, then it is 100% stable for me, P95 will crash the most stable machines

But also, I have seen OC's pass hours of P95 only to crash during gaming so take it as you will :)

Is there a better AMd CPU that would benefit me without swapping out my mobo? better of with a phenom II?

#19 OP rageagainstmachine

rageagainstmachine

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:38

would i be better off swapping this out for an 8350? http://www.dabs.com/... FX-8350&src=16

#20 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 11 December 2012 - 13:30

would i be better off swapping this out for an 8350? http://www.dabs.com/...0FX-8350&src=16

No

#21 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 December 2012 - 13:37

i read this Techspot article the other day. They compare the fps increase by overclocking the cpu in FC3. Check it out and take it for what it's worth.

http://www.techspot....ance/page6.html

#22 OP rageagainstmachine

rageagainstmachine

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 December 2012 - 13:45

well in that case, i may consider a 2nd 7970. http://blogs.amd.com...cry-3-in-depth/