gadgets overprized iphone apple ipad alienware

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 09 December 2012 - 18:59

If you think these tablets are pricey, check out number 9 on this list here.

In fact, check out the entire slideshow. It's eye opening.

#17 OP hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:39

Even though I agree that this one is pricey im not sure it is overprized.

#18 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:43

Even though I agree that this one is pricey im not sure it is overprized.

Why you keep misspelling "overpriced"?

#19 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:49

There's a £180 pair of Monster headphones out there which I got a look at. I laughed when I opened the fancy box.

They were the cheapest, plasticy, and surprisingly undersized headphones I'd ever seen. Absolutely no quality in them whatsoever. Absolutely ridiculous.

#20 OP hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:00

Why you keep misspelling "overpriced"?

To get on your nerves mate. ;)

#21 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:23

I think smart phones are the most over-priced gadgets in recent memory. Sure they can do a number of things today compared to the old flip phone, but IMO, they're not built and are definitely not supported at a level that matches their price tag. Phones are marketed as an accessory to your body, like clothing and carriers would rather you bought a new phone every year rather than roll out updates and support phones customers are currently paying to use. I don't expect infinite support, but I don't think its too much to ask to get a solid 2 years of updates with a new contract.

#22 enc_MAYhem

enc_MAYhem

enc_MAYhem

• Phone: HTC Desire C

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:28

1) SSD's
2) Cabinets like the Corsair 800D and the CM HAF X.
3) I dont know about you guys but the iphone in Asia is overpriced as ****, we only get unlocked versions and there sold at a higher price then US here.

#23 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:29

Grapics tablet != Adroid tablet/ipad and the people who buy them tend to NEED them for their work.

#24 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:32

I think smart phones are the most over-priced gadgets in recent memory. Sure they can do a number of things today compared to the old flip phone, but IMO, they're not built and are definitely not supported at a level that matches their price tag. Phones are marketed as an accessory to your body, like clothing and carriers would rather you bought a new phone every year rather than roll out updates and support phones customers are currently paying to use. I don't expect infinite support, but I don't think its too much to ask to get a solid 2 years of updates with a new contract.

On Android, cue ROM developers :p I've had my Droid Incredible from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 and then I stopped using it after I updated it to ICS. You can easily use an Android or iOS device 2+ years after initial release. I do agree they're expensive.

1) SSD's
2) Cabinets like the Corsair 800D and the CM HAF X.
3) I dont know about you guys but the iphone in Asia is overpriced as ****, we only get unlocked versions and there sold at a higher price then US here.

SSD's are getting cheaper. You can get a cheap 128GB for less than $100 in the US. It's like when HDD's first came out, they were expensive also. So, it's really a moot point. Those cases aren't expensive, it's just a matter of how much the consumer is willing to spend...Put the same analogy to cars - why do Mercedes/BMW/Audi exist when you can get a Honda or Toyota to go from point A to B? Smart phones are expensive in general, not just the iPhone.

#25 OP hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:01

My guess was that you were fat and your sausage fingers were hitting "z" instead of "c".

Hahaha. That would have to be one fat finger. ;)

Grapics tablet != Adroid tablet/ipad and the people who buy them tend to NEED them for their work.

Good point. I think that applies even more strongly with the wacom, can't imagine anyone buying that unless they really need it for graphics work.

#26 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:23

On Android, cue ROM developers :p I've had my Droid Incredible from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 and then I stopped using it after I updated it to ICS. You can easily use an Android or iOS device 2+ years after initial release. I do agree they're expensive.

True of iPhones, but speaking about Android devices, you shouldn't have to resort to rooting and loading ROMS yourself within a contract period just to have an updated device. Carriers should butt out and let the owner update the device through the manufacturer directly.

#27 Kerm

Kerm

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:27

Anything from Apple.

/end thread.

#28 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:49

My laptop. I paid €1900 for it because I didn't want to compromise on anything.

It was mid 2011 and I wanted:

13", matte, high-res display (at least 1440x900).
Dedicated GPU.
Decent battery life.
As light as possible.

And all that on a student budget. Aside one machine it was impossible to find, so I loaned a little extra money and got this baby:

Sony Vaio VPCZ13M9E (from the legendary Vaio Z series that has been pushing boundaries since it existed):
13,3", matte, 1600x900 display with full sRGB and very near AdobeRGB coverage
nVidia Geforce GT 330M (and switchable Intel HD graphics) that actually handles Assassin's Creed 3 rather well
Intel Core i5-460M (hey, full-power, no ULV)
2x64GB SSD in RAID0 (blazing speed)
DVD+RW DL drive
5 hours of battery life surfing on Intel Graphics
2,4Ghz+5Ghz WiFi and an integrated HSPA modem.
A brilliant backlit keyboard and an exceptionally good (for a PC) multitouch touchpad. And a fingerprint sensor (and TPM) just for the lols.

All in a metal package that is really small and very light. One of the best-engineered laptops ever made. It's basically an ultrabook with a DVD drive, full-powered processor and dedicated graphics. But I paid for it :p
They also stopped making them or anything similar, so if this one breaks down I'll be in serious trouble unless I either go for a bigger one or one without dedicated graphics. Meh.

Posted Image
Downside: the hardware is so exotic (especially the graphics config) that it only runs Windows 7. Linux only works properly with a BIOS hack that disables dynamic graphics switching and Windows 8 totally freaks on the graphics drivers. OSX actually runs rather well but doesn't support the WiFi card from Intel :(

#29 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:50

SSD's are well worth what you pay for them. The improvement to system responsiveness is immense.

#30 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:05

Any product from Bose or Monster.

Monster sure but Bose. Ya its expensive but its very good quality so that doesn't make it overpriced.

I nominate any android phone over $100

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!