and we are back to iPhone

I read the OP and the first response directly below it and immediately noticed both devices mentioned were recent Samsung models, neither of which run stock Android. Their custom TouchWiz stuff does change the experience to a large degree vs stock Android, or MotoBlur, or Sense. I honestly think that nobody is really comparing Android to iOS unless they are using a Nexus device with the actual stock UI and feel that Google intends. Sure the underlying parts are all the same between all the "flavors" of Android, but the experience of using the device can be dramatically different between them as well.

I believe Android apps can run in the background running any tasks they like. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, IRC clients which must remain connected to servers and active are possible on Android, but not on iOS.

If memory serves me correctly, multitasking in iOS and WP is similar in that, with a few exceptions, all apps are expected to gracefully suspend when sent to the background. Exceptions are few and done via the API - apps that play music, navigational apps, VoIP apps, or apps that need some extra time to complete tasks (like downloading files) are allowed to stay running in the background. A good explanation is here: http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

IRC clients take advantage of the last bit - a grace period to complete tasks - and that is why they can stay open in the background for 10 minutes max.

I read the OP and the first response directly below it and immediately noticed both devices mentioned were recent Samsung models, neither of which run stock Android. Their custom TouchWiz stuff does change the experience to a large degree vs stock Android, or MotoBlur, or Sense. I honestly think that nobody is really comparing Android to iOS unless they are using a Nexus device with the actual stock UI and feel that Google intends. Sure the underlying parts are all the same between all the "flavors" of Android, but the experience of using the device can be dramatically different between them as well.

Just for clarification, first thing I did when I got my Galaxy S3 was Root it and installed 2 different custom roms, AOKP and CM10. Both of which are pretty close to stock with a few added features.

If memory serves me correctly, multitasking in iOS and WP is similar in that, with a few exceptions, all apps are expected to gracefully suspend when sent to the background. Exceptions are few and done via the API - apps that play music, navigational apps, VoIP apps, or apps that need some extra time to complete tasks (like downloading files) are allowed to stay running in the background. A good explanation is here: http://speirs.org/bl...ltitasking.html

IRC clients take advantage of the last bit - a grace period to complete tasks - and that is why they can stay open in the background for 10 minutes max.

Yeah, I think the problem with that is that Apple could remove such apps for abusive the multitasking APIs. Task completion wasn't really intended to maintain constant connections in the background.

That and the fact that you would probably want to stay connected for longer than ten minutes.

However, I think most would prefer Apple's way of multitasking as the battery life is worlds better and the only downside is that a few obscure applications can't operate in the way they should.

I have recently switched from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S3 [ Rooted and is running AOSP by Paranoid Android ]

I'm loving my phone so far but my only gripe is that there isn't a decent Media Manager which I can use for syncing my media. Google's Android File Transfer is a joke and doesn't detect my phone most of the time and Easy Phone Tunes is a hit or mix. [Mac]

I have recently switched from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S3 [ Rooted and is running AOSP by Paranoid Android ]

I'm loving my phone so far but my only gripe is that there isn't a decent Media Manager which I can use for syncing my media. Google's Android File Transfer is a joke and doesn't detect my phone most of the time and Easy Phone Tunes is a hit or mix. [Mac]

I had the same problem, went from iPhone to Galaxy Note2 and the media sync was my bug bear, after trying out a few i can really recommend

Double Twist + Airsync, they work really well and have a Mac/Windows desktop application that reads the iTunes DB importing songs and playlists, so far it's been working really well. Works well on the lock screen and in the notification and the cherry on the cake is that it sync's over wifi to.

Mine is set to Sync with an External SD card, which was the only thing i was worried about.

The only small criticisim i would have is that they nickle and dime you on the features, i.e. to unlock the EQ you have to pay a further ?5, however if this keeps the app supported then im don't mind too much, especially as it looks good too.

I had the same problem, went from iPhone to Galaxy Note2 and the media sync was my bug bear, after trying out a few i can really recommend

Double Twist + Airsync, they work really well and have a Mac/Windows desktop application that reads the iTunes DB importing songs and playlists, so far it's been working really well. Works well on the lock screen and in the notification and the cherry on the cake is that it sync's over wifi to.

Mine is set to Sync with an External SD card, which was the only thing i was worried about.

The only small criticisim i would have is that they nickle and dime you on the features, i.e. to unlock the EQ you have to pay a further ?5, however if this keeps the app supported then im don't mind too much, especially as it looks good too.

If you just want to sync music, why not simply upload the songs to Google Music and use the app to listen to them?

If you are talking about syncing videos, etc then why not use the Samsung Kies software or KiesAir? It does a good job.

If you just want to sync music, why not simply upload the songs to Google Music and use the app to listen to them?

If you are talking about syncing videos, etc then why not use the Samsung Kies software or KiesAir? It does a good job.

...or you can simply copy your music folders to your Android sd card. Done :)

"iOS is more polished than Android" - Yes, this is true and its because Apple was been playing this game for a year longer than Google. IOS was released 1 year before Android and in 1 year they did a lot fo things.

Android may not be as polished as iOS and the app store may not be as fancy, but it catching up and it is catching up fast. You can't beat the hardware in an Android. My Note 2 hardware blows the iPhone 5 out of the water. Hell, the Galaxy S3 is faster than the iPhone 5. Tests after tests have proven that.

Why do you think Apple is so anxious to destroy Google? They are scared to death that Android is going to take over because they know Google has deep pockets and they know Google will keep improving Android and making it better and better and better it has gotten. I remember back a couple of years ago when I had the HTC Inspire, Gingerbread had a habit of crashing on me constantly and everytime it did, the UI fell apart. Jelly Bean doesn't do that. They have fixed that problem. I can't say that my Note 2 has crashed on me since I got it. Not once.

Before making a purchase Ive tried using both Note 2 & iPhone 5.

IMO in the Note 2 the IU & the Application Management is not even half as smooth as an iPhone 4S leave alone an iPhone 5.

The hardware quality (Plastics, Bezels etc.) is similar to that of an old iPhone 3G, which is quite a dampener.

Rough tests dont stand for anything if you dont have the application base to support that. (in which android may be catching but is still behind Apple)

I think a lot of people never actually try the pure android experience, instead the crappy samsung software.

I recently got a free upgrade to the s3, and hated it... I came from Galaxy Nexus. I sold it and ordered a nexus 4, the pure Google software is sooo much better, cleaner, nicer...etc.

If you're going to get an android phone, imo it has to be the pure experience. Otherwise it's like getting one of those cheap fake iphones, with fake ios on. it's just not the same

Google MUST start developing a media player which rivals iTunes. It should allow syncing all apps, music, videos, contacts, etc.

But hey it's the evil Google we are talking about. They will do no such thing and let their users rot at the mercy of third parties.

I think a lot of people never actually try the pure android experience, instead the crappy samsung software.

I recently got a free upgrade to the s3, and hated it... I came from Galaxy Nexus. I sold it and ordered a nexus 4, the pure Google software is sooo much better, cleaner, nicer...etc.

If you're going to get an android phone, imo it has to be the pure experience. Otherwise it's like getting one of those cheap fake iphones, with fake ios on. it's just not the same

yea it's certainly better Android but it's still Android ;)

I like Touchwiz myself. To each their own.

With so many media players on the Android market do we need one more?

Will you still say iOS is more polished when the time comes and it navigates you, say, into a forest instead of where you actually want to go?

Please tell me you are joking because that was just silly of you to say. the maps on my iphone 5 with ios 6.01 works fine

sure they had a few bugs but for the most part its fixed.

I have noticed quite few people that weren't satisfied with S3 for whatever reason and went to back to iphone. I have see one or two do the same with S3. Both phones have their pluses and minuses. They both are good phones.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just speaking to a friend about how it seems most iOS to Android users end up coming back to iOS. I'm not sure I could do without my iPhone. I've also tried Android devices and I just can't seem to develop the same level of fondness towards them. There are a great deal of new, top-notch Android devices on the market... all with rock-solid specs and features, but when it comes down to it the user interface is what makes or breaks it for me, and so far I haven't found anyhting that can hold a candle to Apple's iOS.

Sorry for the late reply to my other post.

I tried google music but didnt like the player app. However I know that Google are rapidly developing it so I've got it installed and watch it.

In the other reply why not up load it all. I did do a lot of this but it got annoying when I got new tracks and albums and I change playlists around a lot.

So far double twist has been working really well