Questions 'bout FTP programs

Question

Since switching to Win 7, I had to get an FTP prog that works with Win 7 so I've been using the free version of IPSwitch WS_FTP LE and I noticed that the free license is going to expire in about a year and then I guess they are going to want me to buy a licesne which I think is around $55

So, if I'm going to have to eventually buy a license for an FTP program, I'd like to find on that allows me to decide where the program data folder is saved.

I use Acronis and frequently I'll roll my system back to a previous time so I'd like to have an FTP program that enables me to save all the sites I've setup over on my D Drive which is where I keep my data (I don't save anything to My Documents on my C Drive)

Anybody know of an FTP program that has this feature?

19 answers to this question

OK, so how would it work...

Would I be able to tell FileZilla that the folder for saving data is say D:/My Documents/Websites/FTP Data ?

This is what I had in mind where I could set it and forget it so when I add another website, it will automatically

be in the data folder where I have already designated.

Or, would I have to manually export the data to the folder of my choice?

Just trying to get a feel for how this one would work. Thanks.

OK, so how would it work...

Would I be able to tell FileZilla that the folder for saving data is say D:/My Documents/Websites/FTP Data ?

This is what I had in mind where I could set it and forget it so when I add another website, it will automatically

be in the data folder where I have already designated.

Or, would I have to manually export the data to the folder of my choice?

Just trying to get a feel for how this one would work. Thanks.

If you installed FileZilla to D:/My Documents/Websites/FTP Data then if you had to reinstall windows, everything 'should' be exactly as it was next time you launch it

I have never tried that, so to be on the safe side, before reinstalling windows, file > export to your D:/My Documents/Websites/FTP Data dir would be the best bet

Everytime I reinstall windows I just export the settings and site data, then import once windows is reinstalled and everything is back to normal

Same way 'MozBackup' works for firefox profiles

EDIT - Untested, but this could possibly be the option you're looking for

Capture.PNG

Another vote for Filezilla.

I would also recommend using the PortableApps version.

Does FileZilla save all the data in the install dir ?

If so, the portable version would be perfect to just drop in the wanted dir and forget about it, although getting updates for it would be a pain

Yes, the 'self contained' nature of PortableApps (i.e. all config files stored in the app folder instead of the registry and elsewhere) is one of the reasons I prefer them to the 'official' versions.

Also, the update process is handled automatically from the PortableApps Platform. I run it once a week or so and am informed of any updates to the programmes I use, while for every day use I just run the application directly. This applies to Chrome, Firefox, Thunderbird, IrfanView, Filezilla, and a handful of other tools - even though I run them from C:\ and not a USB stick. I cannot even remember the last time I downloaded a new version of Filezilla from the official website, as the PortableApps Platform keeps everything up to date for me. ;)

Yes, the 'self contained' nature of PortableApps (i.e. all config files stored in the app folder instead of the registry and elsewhere) is one of the reasons I prefer them to the 'official' versions.

Also, the update process is handled automatically from the PortableApps Platform. I run it once a week or so and am informed of any updates to the programmes I use, while for every day use I just run the application directly. This applies to Chrome, Firefox, Thunderbird, IrfanView, Filezilla, and a handful of other tools - even though I run them from C:\ and not a USB stick. I cannot even remember the last time I downloaded a new version of Filezilla from the official website, as the PortableApps Platform keeps everything up to date for me. ;)

Sounds like the perfect solution then, nice one :)

Wow, I'd better stick with the regular version... the latest portabile version is from May 7th, 2006.

I guess I could try it, but I'm kinda leary on using software that hasn't been updated for over 6 years....

Wow, I'd better stick with the regular version... the latest portabile version is from May 7th, 2006.

I guess I could try it, but I'm kinda leary on using software that hasn't been updated for over 6 years....

Date added: 2012-11-29

Hasn't even been six weeks. :laugh:

It wants me to put in the "port" .... I'm just uploading a website and did not have to enter that in IPSwitch WS_FTP LE so what do I put there?

just keep it empty in filezilla, it's not required ^^

FileZilla my favourite free

CuteFTP is my fav paid as it splits files (multi thread or something) to transfer which always maxes out my connection. Filezilla rarely maxes out.