Is this the end for consoles?

I remember a long time ago. My first console was an Atari. It had a twist type controller with large plastic cartridges for games. Then I had a Sega master system to megadrive. Then my first computer an Amstrad CPC464. Then the Playstation, sold that and bought the first Xbox. I could go on. I now have a PC I use for everyday use, including gaming to editing my photo's to streaming films. Years ago, a games console was just that. A games console. They were fun and enjoyable. How many people remember the sporting type games where you had to waggle the joystick left and right at about 200 mph to get your little man to run up the track. Then have a nice big blister in the palm of your hand. Today it seems, that game consoles are more than just gaming. You can browse the web, buy films and music "and" play games. I feel that these gaming console's are getting more and more like PC's in terms of what they now do. I think it will get to the stage where people will stop and think. Do I really want to fork out ?300-?400 for a console that does what a PC can do (limited of course), when I can get a PC for the same money (maybe add a bit extra for a graphics card), and do a lot more on it. With games being cheaper than consoles as well. Why buy a console when you can get a PC that can do the same thing and do a hell of a lot more. Because of this, I think consoles will die out, or they will change the name from gaming consoles to entertainment center's. I thought I would start this thread to see what everyone else thinks, I thought this would be a nice topic for everyone to discuss.

This has been discussed before.

Consoles remain because developers can continue to make games and scale them to get maximum performance out of the hardware. Try running Skyrim on a desktop computer from 2005... it probably won't even run, or if it does, it will not be pretty.

The other issue is that console gaming is a lot more social. Friends play together, families play together etc, plus, honestly, I am a lot more comfortable in front of a 42" TV screen than a small 22" computer screen.

If anything, I predict that the next generation of consoles (2018?) will be tablets that you plug into your TV and can continue playing on the go.

Do I really want to fork out ?300-?400 for a console that does what a PC can do (limited of course), when I can get a PC for the same money (maybe add a bit extra for a graphics card), and do a lot more on it. With games being cheaper than consoles as well. Why buy a console when you can get a PC that can do the same thing and do a hell of a lot more.

I have been asking myself this very same question. If rumours are true, this time next year we will be persuaded by Microsoft and Sony to buy their next generation consoles. Let's be honest, the advantage that consoles have always had over PC';s is ease of use, especially with gaming. But you are right, as consoles become more than just games-machines, there comes a point when that convenience becomes deminished against the versitility of PC's. Consoles do a lot more than just play games, but what if all those other "features" can be done just as easily, or better, on a PC? Will I sacrifice the convenience of putting a disk in and pressing "x", for a more rounded and fully-featured experience on a PC? Time will tell, but as a of right now, if had I to make a choice, I would seriously consider a PC over a console; the first time I have ever thought that.

I am a lot more comfortable in front of a 42" TV screen than a small 22" computer screen.

I totally agree with you on that one. My PC is plugged into my 42" TV, I actually play Skyrim a lot, with the 360 controller :-)

I just posted this in a front-page thread - for some reason I can't wipe it and put it here, so sorry about the cut and paste!! :D

I think 2013 may be the year consoles and PC's really start to merge functionality. With Microsoft trying to gain traction for Windows 8/RT/Modern UI it wouldn't surprise if their new console ran WinRT - all you would need is a wireless keyboard/pointer to turn it into a fully-fledged pc.

Most TV's are more like monitors these days (high resolution, digital input) and console's have hard drives and fairly good memory specs. Apart from the fact that they would need to re-code it Office would be easy to put on a 360 - if MS went down the route of RT for the next console it could just be another app to download in the Marketplace.

Microsoft could use the successor to the 360 to create a "desktop" version of the Surface - hardware that they can push as a standard and can fully control, without massively annoying the likes of Dell, HP, Asus etc.

I think 2013 may be the year consoles and PC's really start to merge functionality.

This is my point exactly. Consoles are turning into PC's now. I really do believe that people will buy a dedicated PC over a "Console". It's getting to a stage now where the likes of Microsoft and Sony are competing to win customers, they are moving away from what was a dedicated gaming machine to turning into a PC. The likes of Steam, bringing out their "Big Picture Mode" and displaying at the click of a button, controller available games. I think is fantastic. I really do think consoles will be history after 2013.

exclusives of course...I grew up a Nintendo junkie and they've never made a current gen mario or zelda for the pc...same with numerous other console exclusives on various platforms

<Why buy a console?>

For me, I will continue to be a console gamer. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally buy games for the computer. But most of the time I buy games for my PS3. My main reason for buying for the console is that I don't need to think about anything. I like the look of a game, I buy it. There is no need for me to think, "will my console be able to run this?" because the answer is always "yes." I also don't have to start every game by trying to find the best setting that will give me decent graphics without affecting the gameplay. I buy the game, put the disc in to my PS3 and I start gaming.

The subject has been talked to death numerous times. "Will PCs be the end of consoles?" "Will <console X> be the death of PC gaming?" The answer is always "no."

A big factor for me is 'living room entertainment'. As long as PCs are kept in bedrooms and offices, and consoles are kept under the TV, a market for gaming consoles will exist. When PCs start to commonly appear under TVs (i.e. the Valve box) then things may start to change.

I don't think its the "end", but things have stagnated a bit. People are ready for a new Xbox and Playstation, but they're going to make us wait another year for those at least. My prediction for Nintendo is that they will not do so well this time around. Everyone is desensitized to the motion gimmick and they've launched with a console just barely more powerful than what the competition has out now. Walked into a Best buy yesterday and they had a stack of Wii Us available. I'd like to pick one up if nothing else to get rid of my defective Wii (gfx artifacting due to Wii Connect 24 overheating console) and transfer all my Virtual console games over, but I'm not paying the asking price.

I was thinking this as soon as they slapped a HDD in the original XBOX.

I think we will get to a point in time where functionality merges between the two platforms to the extent where a perfect hybrid is created. People have mentioned the incompatibility issues PCs can have and that consoles provide ease of access. However, I think that notion will start to become challenged if Custom PC/Laptop Builders such as AlienWare become bigger and/or cheaper... not to mention the likes of the so-called Valve Box.

I wondered for quite a while why console makers have always shied away from including decent Mouse + Keyboard compatibility... but if you could just grab your office keyboard and mouse, plug it into your Console and start playing, how many people wouldn't bother buying controllers? I know for a fact I wouldn't use a controller for many games if I could use a M&KB.

I wondered for quite a while why console makers have always shied away from including decent Mouse + Keyboard compatibility... but if you could just grab your office keyboard and mouse, plug it into your Console and start playing, how many people wouldn't bother buying controllers? I know for a fact I wouldn't use a controller for many games if I could use a M&KB.

Because you have opinionated idiots @ Microsoft that bitch and moan about how keyboards and mice have no place in the living room. They used to spout the same garbage about USB ports on consoles.

I remember a long time ago. My first console was an Atari. It had a twist type controller with large plastic cartridges for games. Then I had a Sega master system to megadrive. Then my first computer an Amstrad CPC464. Then the Playstation, sold that and bought the first Xbox. I could go on. I now have a PC I use for everyday use, including gaming to editing my photo's to streaming films. Years ago, a games console was just that. A games console. They were fun and enjoyable. How many people remember the sporting type games where you had to waggle the joystick left and right at about 200 mph to get your little man to run up the track. Then have a nice big blister in the palm of your hand. Today it seems, that game consoles are more than just gaming. You can browse the web, buy films and music "and" play games. I feel that these gaming console's are getting more and more like PC's in terms of what they now do. I think it will get to the stage where people will stop and think. Do I really want to fork out ?300-?400 for a console that does what a PC can do (limited of course), when I can get a PC for the same money (maybe add a bit extra for a graphics card), and do a lot more on it. With games being cheaper than consoles as well. Why buy a console when you can get a PC that can do the same thing and do a hell of a lot more. Because of this, I think consoles will die out, or they will change the name from gaming consoles to entertainment center's. I thought I would start this thread to see what everyone else thinks, I thought this would be a nice topic for everyone to discuss.

Just sounds like nostalgia, dude. Sure, some of the old consoles were fun and it's where most gamers cut their teeth but if you go back to play some of those old systems and their games now it is painful. Physically and emotionally.

Nintendo are criticsed becuase they're consoles are so limited in term of multimedia. If MS and Sony tried to sell their systems without multimedia functions, people would throw a fit.

Consoles are boring anyways, it's all about PC and mobile gaming now.

Mobile gaming on smart phones seems to me to be a pretty boring place. Granted, every-so-often something worthwhile or original comes along, but mostly it is the same old stuff rehashed ad nausuem. I think indie and smaller studios are where things are looking interesting. Just think about the cool stuff that has come out this year.

High speed internet availability and price are also keeping console / physical media alive.

Until Internet the price comes down and high speed easily available everywhere, there're too many customers they lose.

I think publisher's end goal will be to purchase a digital license, and stream it to you, no matter what device it is. The infrastructural not there yet, at least not in the United States.

Because you have opinionated idiots @ Microsoft that bitch and moan about how keyboards and mice have no place in the living room. They used to spout the same garbage about USB ports on consoles.

the whole USB port thing was because of profits though, if you put a USB port now overpriced memory cards are obsolete...

It would be interesting if we see consoles being produced like phones these days. Manufacturers had strict hardware requirements, but it is up to them to design. Like what MS did with WP7

This is where steam might come in and make a killing. They already have a decent sized customer base, they might capitalise on it to see steam move into the lounge room. I'd be for it.

This has been discussed before.

Consoles remain because developers can continue to make games and scale them to get maximum performance out of the hardware. Try running Skyrim on a desktop computer from 2005... it probably won't even run, or if it does, it will not be pretty.

The other issue is that console gaming is a lot more social. Friends play together, families play together etc, plus, honestly, I am a lot more comfortable in front of a 42" TV screen than a small 22" computer screen.

If anything, I predict that the next generation of consoles (2018?) will be tablets that you plug into your TV and can continue playing on the go.

Agreed (Except for the tablet bit, I think they will instead continue with the push to phones and other screens than something new entirely). But consoles are going nowhere. If anything the living room will become more dependent on consoles, not less...

Actually if consoles are similar prices to low-end computers which can run high-end games for 7 years without needing to upgrade - who's to say that people will just end up not buying a PC?

Consoles are basically controlled environment PCs running custom operating systems, especially now with more and more apps coming to them, especially in regards to the Xbox 360. The software and hardware integration is even better then that found in Apple's Macs and Macbooks, and it's at a cost that rivals a low-end prebuilt PC. If it has enough apps that most people will use on a computer anyway, which lets face it, for most people is playing music and going on the internet, then surely a console is actually a better purchase?

The only threat I see to the games console is the recently announced Steambox from Valve - that could potentially through a real spanner in the works for games consoles.

For me, I will continue to be a console gamer. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally buy games for the computer. But most of the time I buy games for my PS3. My main reason for buying for the console is that I don't need to think about anything. I like the look of a game, I buy it. There is no need for me to think, "will my console be able to run this?" because the answer is always "yes." I also don't have to start every game by trying to find the best setting that will give me decent graphics without affecting the gameplay. I buy the game, put the disc in to my PS3 and I start gaming.

The subject has been talked to death numerous times. "Will PCs be the end of consoles?" "Will <console X> be the death of PC gaming?" The answer is always "no."

This has gotten a lot better on PC in the last couple of years. 8/10 times or so I'll start a game fresh and it has already configured itself for great settings on my PC, including resolution settings and everything else. I end up tweaking them still because I actually enjoy this part of PC gaming, but it can be very much a "click and go" experience now.

Additionally, I find that if you build a decent spec'd PC rig you won't be asking that "will this run on my PC?" question for the lifetime of your machine, seriously. The only time you're concerned about this, and upgrades, is if you're on the fringe of the gaming sector. I mean stuff like wanting to play Skyrim on a 4 monitor at once setup at max detail. If you're a normal gamer, as most of us are, then you won't be seeing any major drop in performance in new games for a long long time.

I swapped from a GTX 260 to a GTX 580 in the early part of 2012 and that was really due to me wanting a newer card. My GTX 260 was running everything I threw at it just fine and it was very long in the tooth at that point.

MS sold 750k xboxes on Black Friday

Sony sold 500k PS3 on the same day.

Consoles are dead!!

:rofl:

Pretty much this. Those numbers are good for any console of any age - the fact that they're 7 years old is even better!