win8 install, one HDD, no usb/dvd

Looking for some help with installing Win8 on my desktop. I dont have a DVD burner or a USB big enough to hold win8.

I recently upgraded my laptop from 7 to 8, I mounted the ISO and installed that way.

However, I did something strange and my windows main partition is E:

I have a load of stuff on my desktop I want to keep so my plan is this:

Create a partition on 1TB HDD of 250GB (in process)

Move stuff from C: to the new partition I want to keep.

Mount win8 ISO

Format C and install there.

Move everything back over from new partition

delete the partition and merge back into C:

Is this possible? Can I use the upgrade to format the C?

I dont want to install over the top and end up with the windows.old crap and all the old stuff, I want a clean install.

What did I do wrong last time to end up with my main drive being E:

Mounting the ISO won't work, as soon as Windows 8 setup needs to restart the machine, the ISO is no longer mounted and setup can't find the 8 ISO/Disk

Make another 4GB primary partition along with your 250GB one, extract the ISO to that, or mount the ISO and copy the setup files from the mounted ISO to that 4GB partition

Now when you run setup from the 4GB partition, and setup needs to reboot the machine, the setup files are still there for the install to continue

From what I remember, running 4GB\setup.exe from the main 4GB partition will give the upgrade option, running setup from 4GB\sources\setup.exe will give you the full wipe option (Although Win 8 should ask if you want to wipe the drive during setup anyway)

Mounting the ISO won't work, as soon as Windows 8 setup needs to restart the machine, the ISO is no longer mounted and setup can't find the 8 ISO/Disk

Make another 4GB primary partition along with your 250GB one, extract the ISO to that, or mount the ISO and copy the setup files from the mounted ISO to that 4GB partition

Now when you run setup from the 4GB partition, and setup needs to reboot the machine, the setup files are still there for the install to continue

From what I remember, running 4GB\setup.exe from the main 4GB partition will give the upgrade option, running setup from 4GB\sources\setup.exe will give you the full wipe option (Although Win 8 should ask if you want to wipe the drive during setup anyway)

mounting works, i did it for my laptop, it copies the files to the HDD, gets to 20 something % then reboots.

However, the files I want to keep are like 240GB worth and its taking too long.

Is the upgrade bad? is it lesser than a clean install? will my computer be slow?

Ill probably end up with almost everything installed again anyway.

Ive cancelled the copy and will just go for a upgrade I think.

I can burn a disc and do a clean install at a later date when I get another HDD to copy my stuff on to.

mounting works, i did it for my laptop, it copies the files to the HDD, gets to 20 something % then reboots.

However, the files I want to keep are like 240GB worth and its taking too long.

Is the upgrade bad? is it lesser than a clean install? will my computer be slow?

Ill probably end up with almost everything installed again anyway.

Ive cancelled the copy and will just go for a upgrade I think.

I can burn a disc and do a clean install at a later date when I get another HDD to copy my stuff on to.

Something must have changed for 8 then, I've had people tell me they tried the same with 7 and it failed after a reboot

If you can get the upgrade to complete, then just goto Metro UI > Settings > General > Refresh My PC but Keep my files

That way you get more or less a clean install without losing any files, only thing that gets wiped is installed non metro programs and drivers, basically keeps all your metro apps, your saved files and reinstalls windows

Thats how I did it so I didn't have to back anything up

I think something has went very wrong.

I canceled my copy and tried to merge the partition back to C with easeus partition manager.

It worked fine, pc rebooted and now it wont boot.

Its stuck at the very first screen, detecting CD, fine, detecting SATAII bla bla, hitatchi detetcted and its just stuck there.

Doesnt tell me to insert correct boot media or anything, just stays at that first screen

I think something has went very wrong.

I canceled my copy and tried to merge the partition back to C with easeus partition manager.

It worked fine, pc rebooted and now it wont boot.

Its stuck at the very first screen, detecting CD, fine, detecting SATAII bla bla, hitatchi detetcted and its just stuck there.

Doesnt tell me to insert correct boot media or anything, just stays at that first screen

What is Hitachi ?

If it is USB or removable try removing it and booting again

If it is your HDD.... it sounds like partitioning went wrong, I only use Windows own disk management for partitioning, not 3rd parties for primary drives

Best thing to do then would be remove the HDD and install it in another machine / USB caddy and copy your data then reinstall once you get a USB drive

What is Hitachi ?

If it is USB or removable try removing it and booting again

If it is your HDD.... it sounds like partitioning went wrong, I only use Windows own disk management for partitioning, not 3rd parties for primary drives

Best thing to do then would be remove the HDD and install it in another machine / USB caddy and copy your data then reinstall once you get a USB drive

yeah its my 1TB HDD.

Tried unpluggin/replugging it, reset BIOS just incase but nothing.

:(

I have no access to another machine, I think my only option is to get my dads laptop tomorrow, download win8, burn to DVD then just format the HDD.

The stuff I wanted to keep was mainly software and video files. Theres nothing majorly important.

Will do that tomorrow and just format it.

I can install from a USB right?

Also, will the upgrade still work now that my partitions are fooked

yeah its my 1TB HDD.

Tried unpluggin/replugging it, reset BIOS just incase but nothing.

:(

I have no access to another machine, I think my only option is to get my dads laptop tomorrow, download win8, burn to DVD then just format the HDD.

The stuff I wanted to keep was mainly software and video files. Theres nothing majorly important.

Will do that tomorrow and just format it.

I can install from a USB right?

Also, will the upgrade still work now that my partitions are fooked

Yea you can install from USB no problem so long as your laptop supports booting from USB (Should be an option in the BIOS, or hitting the F key during POST that says something along the lines of "Display boot devices" and choosing USB

If you have to delete your partitions, then install 8, it will see it as a clean install, so although the key should work for installation, it 'may' not allow activation

(This was how it worked with 7, someone else who has tried this should help)

Google on how to change the registry entry "MediaBootInstall" and you`ll be able to activate with the upgrade key if you do run into problems, you just need to change a 1 to a 0 to tell windows it was actually upgraded.

(Late here now so off to bed, good luck :) )

With the purchase/download application there is the choice between upgrading or making a ISO or a USB installation. IMHO the USB thumb drive based installation is the fastest in my experience.