Back To OSX Snow Leopard.

I don't know if its me or if I'm seeing things but ever since I installed Mountain Lion I have had nothing but issues with OS responsiveness. It seems ML is not very stable for some reason. I find SL to be more responsive and more polished. Anyone else reverted back SL because of issues with ML?

i haven't had any problems with ML on my early 2011 macbook pro

though I heard a lot of stories of people having issues with the updated dock lagging things out back when ML first came out. but i would think that has been fixed by now

Why revert back to SL, what about original lion?

if you were a fan of expose then you didn't like Lion very much, ML brought back a lot of the options that were missing from Lion in that regard

so that would be my guess as to why

Why revert back to SL, what about original lion?

Lion sucks in comparison.

I stuck with Mountain Lion on my main Mac, because a) Snow Leopard won't run on it and b) I just prefer Mountain Lion.

Glassed Silver:mac

I have to agree with you Scorb, Snow Leopard seems to be the most stable OS that Apple has put out to date. We upgraded one xServe to Lion, wow was that a mistake. 8 hours later after reverting back via time machine, that server will never get anything above 10.6.x

I?m ok with ML (rMBP 15"). It?s my first Mac though, so I never used SL. No performance or stability issues so far. It?s fast and responsive, and no kernel panic since august (never had any in fact)

I?m ok with ML (rMBP 15"). It?s my fist Mac though, so I never used SL. No performance or stability issues so far. It?s fast and responsive, and no kernel panic since august (never had any in fact)

I've only every had a few kernel panics on my mac, and that was back when VMWare Fusion 4 first came out and it had some issues with running VMs from an external HDD

besides that OSX on my mac has pretty much always been stable for me (even Lion)

There is something definitely not right with ML. Even the Apps store opens faster and works better with SL. I no longer see lag on the UI or in the apps store.

Its so weird that people have such issues with ML. I find that it just flies on my mid-2009 MBP. I don't necessarily find it any faster or slower than Snow Leopard though.

Can't say I blame you. If ML was lagging on my computer I would probably revert back to Snow Leopard too!

If you still have ML and still having lagging issues try this: create a new user profile and log into it. On OS X Lion I had something corrupt in my profile. After troubleshooting it for awhile, my wife logged in and was using my MBP and I noticed it wasn't lagging when she was logged in. I created a profile, and sure enough everything was "buttery smooth" (to steal lingo from the android fans...). Just created a new profile and migrated my files and stuff over to it, then deleted the original.

Worth a shot, but if you have already loaded SL back onto your computer and are happy with it just stick with that. I like full screen modes and reminders. Don't really care for the notifications center or the messages app in ML.

Running 10.8.2, I find it really reliable running multiple adobes and browsers at once. I mean, I'm using the brand new Mac Mini (basica standard), but I've use the other OS X's on my friends 2010 iMac. I must say, that I'd rather stay up to date and get used to something til you can find a solution to a situation. That's what we all had to deal with when it comes to Windows 8 and 7. Heck, performance on there was also a trouble to understand.

Its so weird that people have such issues with ML. I find that it just flies on my mid-2009 MBP. I don't necessarily find it any faster or slower than Snow Leopard though.

Can't say I blame you. If ML was lagging on my computer I would probably revert back to Snow Leopard too!

If you still have ML and still having lagging issues try this: create a new user profile and log into it. On OS X Lion I had something corrupt in my profile. After troubleshooting it for awhile, my wife logged in and was using my MBP and I noticed it wasn't lagging when she was logged in. I created a profile, and sure enough everything was "buttery smooth" (to steal lingo from the android fans...). Just created a new profile and migrated my files and stuff over to it, then deleted the original.

Worth a shot, but if you have already loaded SL back onto your computer and are happy with it just stick with that. I like full screen modes and reminders. Don't really care for the notifications center or the messages app in ML.

never really cared for that Messenger app on ML. It has never really worked well since day 1. It sucks.

I have a 2012 13" MBP Its the best laptop I have ever owned and ML runs really nice on it.

I wish other companies could make laptops as nice as apple does

never really cared for that Messenger app on ML. It has never really worked well since day 1. It sucks.

I've actually been working with iMessage and the Notification center and it's pretty awesome to me. :D Although I'm gonna have to reorganize my contacts all over again.

I honestly think using iMessage on OS X is a lot easier than iOS due to typing your messages faster. I seem to have a stress for trying to hurry up my messages. :/

post-388684-0-18854200-1355189875.png

I've actually been working with iMessage and the Notification center and it's pretty awesome to me. :D Although I'm gonna have to reorganize my contacts all over again.

I honestly think using iMessage on OS X is a lot easier than iOS due to typing your messages faster. I seem to have a stress for trying to hurry up my messages. :/

That is good and dandy if you have iPhones but my GF or I no longer have iPhones so its really useless to me.

That is good and dandy if you have iPhones but my GF or I no longer have iPhones so its really useless to me.

If the whole world had iOS, OS X, and iMessage, we'd all be at peace. But since we young teenagers must ask each other over and over to get another IM we both may possibly have open, nobody wins. :rofl:

When I had a Mac I found the biggest problems could be pretty much traced back to the video card drivers and the OpenGL stack. The issues appeared in Lion such as artifacts in the redrawing of interface elements or laggy/quirkiness but these issues became worse in Mountain Lion as more interface elements moved to being drawn with the GPU via the use of Core Animation. End of the day I think the yearly upgrades really are unrealistic unless you keep the list of features very low and spend the majority of the time cleaning up what seems to be an ever increasing laundry list of bugs that need addressing.

When I had a Mac I found the biggest problems could be pretty much traced back to the video card drivers and the OpenGL stack. The issues appeared in Lion such as artifacts in the redrawing of interface elements or laggy/quirkiness but these issues became worse in Mountain Lion as more interface elements moved to being drawn with the GPU via the use of Core Animation. End of the day I think the yearly upgrades really are unrealistic unless you keep the list of features very low and spend the majority of the time cleaning up what seems to be an ever increasing laundry list of bugs that need addressing.

Seems the industry is heading towards more progressive and periodic "major" versions. MS has indicated that they are going to be taking Windows in a similar direction and appear to be converging on a 2 year release schedule. I can think of some other engineering software packages I use that at one time got updated every couple of years (major update that they think you should pay rather than just receive a free update because there is new features) and these days they have major releases every year.

Wow, we actually went a whole page worth of posts before the "just install Windows" post. Maybe times are changing... maybe times are...changing... :woot: :punk:

• Like 1

Seems the industry is heading towards more progressive and periodic "major" versions. MS has indicated that they are going to be taking Windows in a similar direction and appear to be converging on a 2 year release schedule. I can think of some other engineering software packages I use that at one time got updated every couple of years (major update that they think you should pay rather than just receive a free update because there is new features) and these days they have major releases every year.

Wow, we actually went a whole page worth of posts before the "just install Windows" post. Maybe times are changing... maybe times are...changing... :woot: :punk:

I could see Microsoft probably have a reduced price and release, like you said, a version ever 2 years. With that being said I don't think there will be a huge feature changes but rather incremental where time is spent refining and tidying things up rather than massive overhauls ala Windows Vista. Windows Vista needed to occur as it formed the foundation going forward and the work with WinMin mean that incremental improvements can be done without all hell breaking loose.

As for the 'just install Windows' posts - maybe some of the posters have grown up and gained some maturity. Hope springs eternal.

• Like 2

Install Windows - it'll be much more responsive. Mac OS X is a hog on resources, and has poor window management.

You?re posting that on the Apple section? are you serious?!

• Like 2

That's awesome, I'm in the same boat as you - Especially when I send around 100 messages a day - Love using iMessage on OS X.... Working a treat here on Lion.

one thing i found was that my 15" early 2011 MBP was until i put in 8gb of ram it ran like crap, but since i put the 8gb in and even moreso since i put in an ssd it runs like a dream!