Motherboard not posting

I just spent over a $100 in computer parts (an Intel DG41TY motherboard -- manual: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17101/eng/DG41TY_ProductGuide01_English.pdf , a 450W power supply, 2 x 1GB of DDR2 RAM chips and a P$ CPU with 3GHz speed for socket 775).

I can't get the damn thing to post...I've connected both the main power supply connecter which covers all the pins and the 4-pin square connector.

I've also connected a 3-pin CPU cooling fan to the 4-pin connector on the motherboard ...(it looked ok to do because you can only put it on one way).

Looking at the documentation provided with the PDF listed above there were only two locations of the front panel for power which I've tried to test by tripping with a laptop screw driver with no success. I see one green solid light on the MB when I turn on the power for the power supply and that's it.

Please advise!

Thanks in advanced for any helpful response.

The light you see on the board, verifies that you have power connected.

Do you get any fans spinning, beeps, or anything?

Try reseating the CPU and RAM. If no dice, try resetting the BIOS by removing the watch battery for a few minutes, and reinsert.

What are your full specs?

Perhaps he shorted the wrong pins then. If the mobo is indicating it's getting power, then there's not much of a reason why shorting the correct pins together wouldn't power it on.

The only other thing it could be is cracked solder connections or something flawed on the pcb traces. Both of which are pretty difficult to fix.

Since these are really old components, I would have to assume they are used. Scammed by the seller perhaps?

Are you absolutely sure your PSU works fine?

I only ask as my old EZcool psu blew up last year, and after a day of troubleshooting, it turned out that even though the green light was on, on my mobo, the psu was at fault

(an embarrassingly easy oversight, just a possibility)

I've found the pins that give it power but after reseating the memory and cpu and then the BIOS battery after about ten seconds...after

I short the pins the power supply fan turns and the cpu fan turns but the monitor I know works that's connected to the mb doesn't show a display and no POST beep.

Like I said connector I is a 4-pin...what I have connected is a 3-pin yet it powers the cpu fan to turn.

I'm getting an RMA# for this motherboard...in the mean time I need to get an alternative

system going for my customer...and need to know if this memory: PC2-3200/4200 DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs

is interchangable with a DDR2 RAM 800MHz PC2-6400 240-PIN DIM for a GX520 Optiplex

Desktop computer...please advise.

Buy a prebuilt. Much less headache. And you don't warranty it like you are now. How much time have you spent on this convert that to money by how much you charge and figure out how much money you lost so far.

Now you have to take it apart put it back together and you still need to load the os, drivers, and apps. I would say right now you are in the hole at least 100 and you haven't even started.

150 can get an old prebuilt. 300 gets you brand new.

I had this before and it was because I hadn't earthed the motherboard correctly (didnt put in all the screws)

so be sure its earthed/ remove it and reseat it.

I would say right now you are in the hole at least 100 and you haven't even started.

150 can get an old prebuilt. 300 gets you brand new.

Plus the $100 he already spent on parts. so thats $200 already :laugh:

(I'd still build it myself though)

That's why I'm going to RMA this back to them...and if don't respond they'll have to respond

to BBB...it didn't come with manual ...so it's possible I tried to start it with the wrong two pins

at first. Can somebody please answer question regard the memory???!

yes and you client is out of a computer for how long? Home built computers are good for yourself and maybe family members, anything outside of that buy a prebuilt dell, hp, lenovo, cyberpower, emachines, etc.... I will never ever build another computer for anyone outside of that esp if they live more than 10 minutes away....I am not dealing with that headache, they can call the manufacturer or I can call the manufacturer and have one of their techs come out to do whatever. I charge $150 an hour for my time, 2 hours and they spent what they would on a new computer prebuilt, all I need to do is some clean up which usually doesn't take more than 30 min.

As far as the memory goes, I believe that dell will only accept pc2 5300 and pc2 6400 and is maxed at 4GB.

http://www.crucial.c...20GX520&Cat=RAM