guy kawasaki

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,154 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 18:00

:/ That's cool. I switched to Android for my phone too but I really don't see the point in these kinds of posts. If the point is "this guy was an Apple fan and switched to Android so therefore Android must be better" then I strongly disagree. It may meet HIS needs better, but both mobile OSes are mature and have different strengths and weaknesses.

They both have essentially the same functionality with a handful of small differences. None of the differences between the two OS are substantial except for maybe Android is much more open. You could counter the openness of Android with the polished edges of iOS. I do think there is more spit and shine in iOS that adds to the user experience, even though it is hard to spell out in a paragraph format. Just overall better consistency and generally faster UI response. That may be important to some folks and they may not care for the "open" experience.

I'm basing this on my experience with both OSes.

#17 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,341 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 13 December 2012 - 19:00

I guess people get a kick out of posts of Apple alumni daring to step outside products from their old longtime employer. Which isn't a bad thing. These days the products serve a strong majority of what a user would want from a device - mobile or desk - so they, like us, jump around ecosystems (or don't) to see what suits our needs best.

But hey, that's why we have forums and social media so people can mindlessly cheer and jeer on brands like their hometown teams ;)

#18 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 19:06

I'm not talking about 4G, I'm talking about 3G which you claim isn't widespread. A 60-85% coverage in Europe and United States alone seems to contradict that claim. It's insane to use under developed countries as a baseline. Then we would get nowhere anytime soon.

Europe and the US aren't the only populated areas in the world. Like I said, only 25% of phone customers in the world have access to 3G. That's not the original point I was getting at though.

My original comment was in regards to the quote about 4G which was that 4G is available hardly anywhere.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:56

They both have essentially the same functionality with a handful of small differences. None of the differences between the two OS are substantial except for maybe Android is much more open.

The more openness is important to me. I bought my wife an iPhone 5 for Christmas and I was playing on it and I hated it. No way to change stuff easily that I wanted to change. It's perfect for my wife, however.

#20 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

• 5,401 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:01

Does he ride a CBR, too?

#21 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,721 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:02

I'd have to fully agree with him.

#22 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,951 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:02

Errr... probably because 4G is hardly available anywhere. Even 3G isn't that widespread. There's really no reason to be forced to fork over the extra $10 per month for 4G unless you live in a city that has coverage.

*Most* Canadians live inside an LTE coverage area. And it costs the same as 3G too.

I even had it for a while and went back to 3G because it's fast enough where I live and I get a big battery life boost over LTE.

#23 Techno_Funky

Techno_Funky

Music Freak

• 2,841 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:30

Good Guy, Kawasaki. :rofl:

#24 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:37

Errr... probably because 4G is hardly available anywhere. Even 3G isn't that widespread. There's really no reason to be forced to fork over the extra $10 per month for 4G unless you live in a city that has coverage.

I never thought I'd get to use a 4G network where I live. Very small town, populaton is around 8,000 and most of that is rural. But somehow we have 4G. That definitely changes my opinion from hardly available to "well if it is here, it has to be quite available." And it doesn't cost me anything extra... bill has been the same since 2007 (when I originally signed this contract), pretty much.