Photo

Windows 8 system image

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 jamwheat

jamwheat

Just Me....

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:34

you may have to include the "recovery" partition also, as it is part of the disk structure.

#17 stumper66

stumper66

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:44

You can do a complete image which saves all drives in VHDX format. However you can't do it thru the GUI, you have to use command line.

To save everything to a d: drive, which should be external media:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:d: -allCritical -include:c:

#18 aberg

aberg

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:55

it seems like the error code 0x807800C5 mostly occurs if you are trying to backup to a NAS or network mapped drive.
I include the system partition in my backup and I have run several backups without any problem.

#19 OP karib

karib

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2013 - 17:44

You can do a complete image which saves all drives in VHDX format. However you can't do it thru the GUI, you have to use command line.

To save everything to a d: drive, which should be external media:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:d: -allCritical -include:c:

How can I restore in case I need it?
What is vhdx format?

I prefer gui actions.

As I told above, I tried backup to external hard disk.
Am I having any other realistic option?
Usb flash disks not allowed.
Network backup I guess would be a nightmare.
Dvd? Dozens? No way.

So, what is better than a usb external disk?

I tried one more time to backup, with recovery partition too. That means backup everything, c, system, recovery.
Failure once again.
Same error.

Any ideas?

#20 OP karib

karib

Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:04

We tried so many things, and no solution yet!

#21 nordmilch

nordmilch

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:29

How can I restore in case I need it?
What is vhdx format?

If u did a Backup from c: on d: (maybe USB drive)
then the command is:

wbadmin start recovery -version:03/31/2005-09:00 -itemType:Volume -items:c: -BackupTarget:d:

additional infos here

make sure ur Win Version is supported to run this recovery command, Win8 Standard doesn't :(

#22 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:50

Might want to do a search on something called recimg. This is another way of backing up. Its command line but some 3rd party group made a gui for it. I think the site is recimg.com

#23 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:19

@OP: All my problems were not in the backup process but in the restoring process, I was migrating everything from a slower 1TB hard drive to a faster 1TB hard drive, which happened to be a few MBs smaller
The recovery process threw a hissy fit and wouldn't restore it, I had to create an image using Acronis 2013 which can do partition resizing.

Use a real backup solution like Acronis True Image. I'd totally stay away from the Windows backup solution.

I agree, the Windows Backup solution gave me nothing but problems, though everything has at one point or another, I would love if it worked properly, one less thing to install
But at this point, nah, use something better.

On that note, the only version of Acronis True Image that can properly create a gpt based drive image is 2013.

No need to pay for something that windows can do natively. Just assign the drive letter and try it again and let us know if you can do it then. As for as the recimg thing you want to do a google search for it. Its essentially the same thing the OEMs use now with windows 8 to create a custom recovery image When you refresh your pc (not reset your pc) it uses that image to restore things. Keep in mind its not for your data but for applications and the OS.

Sure it does it, but it doesn't do a good job, if he wants to restore this image on this system again, say due to hard drive failure(the main reason for making a backup), he'll need to make sure the new hard drive is equal or larger than
the one he's replacing. even if the new hard drive is 1MB smaller the image will not restore, it cannot do any type of partition resizing, which makes it almost completely useless, unless you're just using it to restore on the exact same hard drive.

#24 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:38

why don't you just use clonezilla?

#25 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:06

@OP: All my problems were not in the backup process but in the restoring process, I was migrating everything from a slower 1TB hard drive to a faster 1TB hard drive, which happened to be a few MBs smaller
The recovery process threw a hissy fit and wouldn't restore it, I had to create an image using Acronis 2013 which can do partition resizing.

I agree, the Windows Backup solution gave me nothing but problems, though everything has at one point or another, I would love if it worked properly, one less thing to install
But at this point, nah, use something better.

On that note, the only version of Acronis True Image that can properly create a gpt based drive image is 2013.

Sure it does it, but it doesn't do a good job, if he wants to restore this image on this system again, say due to hard drive failure(the main reason for making a backup), he'll need to make sure the new hard drive is equal or larger than
the one he's replacing. even if the new hard drive is 1MB smaller the image will not restore, it cannot do any type of partition resizing, which makes it almost completely useless, unless you're just using it to restore on the exact same hard drive.

I have never had issues restoring using the windows image using the built in software. It does a file by file image not a sector by sector so hard drive size does not matter nor will partition sizes.

#26 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:56

I have never had issues restoring using the windows image using the built in software. It does a file by file image not a sector by sector so hard drive size does not matter nor will partition sizes.

I'm just speaking from experience, others have reported the same issues, and reporting they had to shrink their partition sizes before
making the image so they would restore to slightly smaller drives, I didn't do that, I just went with different software.

#27 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Emterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520 Black

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19

#doingitwrong

Get rid of the system reserved partition using

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
then you can mark the main partition as active and delete the systemreserved

Then any disk imaging software will work and you can restore the image to different computers

All it needs to do is create a partition > mark it as active > Format > dump the files.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!