• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 805 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:41

Anyone actually seen this for themselves?
Or is it not night in USA?

its 2.40am here but I dont have a telescope lol

#17 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,536 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:52

I'm looking forward to it too, got my youtube tab open

#18 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

• 1,780 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:53

^ Witnesses who actually saw the object stated that it changed course a few times, before the explosion.

As the body neared the ground (forest), the bright body seemed to smudge, and then turned into a giant billow of black smoke, and a loud knocking (not thunder) was heard, as if large stones were falling, or artillery was fired. All buildings shook. At the same time the cloud began emitting flames of uncertain shapes.

It also left considerable radiation behind. (sound like an ice & rock comet ?)

After the event, the skies were lit up at night for days, hundreds of miles away.

At around 7:17 a.m. local time, Evenks natives and Russian settlers in the hills northwest of Lake Baikal observed a column of bluish light, nearly as bright as the Sun, moving across the sky.

Draw your own conclusions. ;)

There is no reason to really dig into the Tunguska event, there is nothing we can learn from it by creating new Hypothesis. There is a lot of evidence supporting the current theory, large explosions in the air can cause the pattern seen, asteroids/comets can explode before hitting the ground if the conditions are right. Finally there is physical evidence backing it up as well. There will not be a better explanation unless a similar event happens again allowing new evidence to be brought forth.

#19 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,536 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:58

it's about to start according to youtube,1 minute 2-59 am uk or gmt

#20 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,898 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:59

I'm not worried about Toutatis - it's Apophis that is going to give us cause for concern soon enough.

#21 thommcg

thommcg

Neowinian

• 1,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:20

The 1908 Tunguska cosmic body (TCB) explosion: Role of hydrogen thermonuclear explosion in support of cometary hypothesis
http://www.physics.p...unguska_Kim.pdf

#22 vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

• 13,943 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:51

I'm not worried about Toutatis - it's Apophis that is going to give us cause for concern soon enough.

Why is it a cause for concern? It's 17 years from now for starters (well, 16 since it's the end of 2012 I suppose), it won't come anywhere near close enough to hit the planet in 2029, and even if our gravity affects it's orbit, the chance of it going through the keyhole at just the right degree is extremely small. And even then, if it did do that, it's another 7 years after that before anything happens. We have 24 years to plan for Apophis and it's extremely unlikely rendezvous with Earth.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:58

Well, I guess we survived another near miss. Can't wait til next time.

#24 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,780 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:24

Posted Image

#25 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,797 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:25

^ Witnesses who actually saw the object stated that it changed course a few times, before the explosion.

As the body neared the ground (forest), the bright body seemed to smudge, and then turned into a giant billow of black smoke, and a loud knocking (not thunder) was heard, as if large stones were falling, or artillery was fired. All buildings shook. At the same time the cloud began emitting flames of uncertain shapes.

After the event, the skies were lit up at night for days, hundreds of miles away.

At around 7:17 a.m. local time, Evenks natives and Russian settlers in the hills northwest of Lake Baikal observed a column of bluish light, nearly as bright as the Sun, moving across the sky.

Draw your own conclusions. ;)

Here you go, Hum! The Bad Astronomer, Phil Plait, takes a dive into airbursts, just for you. ;)

http://www.slate.com...ees_like_a.html