netherlands genesis petting zoo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,854 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:14

DORDRECHT, Netherlands (AP) -- Just as the first storms of winter roll in, Dutchman Johan Huibers has finished his 20-year quest to build a full-scale, functioning model of Noah's Ark — an undertaking of, well, biblical proportions.

Huibers, a Christian, used books 6-9 of Genesis as his inspiration, following the instructions God gives Noah down to the last cubit.

Translating to modern measurements, Huibers came up with a vessel that works out to a whopping 427 feet (130 meters) long, 95 feet (29 meters) across and 75 feet (23 meters) high. Perhaps not big enough to fit every species on Earth, two by two, as described in the Bible, but plenty of space, for instance, for a pair elephants to dance a tango.

Johan's Ark towers across the flat Dutch landscape and is easily visible from a nearby highway where it lies moored in the city of Dordrecht, just south of Rotterdam.

Gazing across the ark's main hold, a huge space of stalls supported by a forest of pine trees, visitors gaze upon an array of stuffed and plastic animals, such as buffalo, zebra, gorillas, lions, tigers, bears, you name it. Elsewhere on the ark is a petting zoo with actual live animals that are less dangerous or easier to care for — such as ponies, dogs, sheep, and rabbits — and an impressive aviary of exotic birds.

"This boat — it's amazing," said Alfred Jongile, visiting from South Africa with his Dutch wife.

For Huibers, a builder by trade, it all began with a nightmare he had in 1992, when the low-lying Netherlands was flooded, as it has been many times throughout its history.

Johan's Ark also contains a restaurant on the topmost level and a movie theater capable of seating 50 people. Around the edges of each level of the craft are displays on ancient Middle Eastern history and dress, scenes from the life of Noah, and games for kids, including water pumps and a system of levers to lift bales of hay.

Down below there is a honeycomb system of hatches, each opening into an area where food could be sealed in for long-term storage.

more & pics

Attached Images

• jonahsark.jpg

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:35

You never know, he might need it one day.

#3 Rich-E

Rich-E

No you cannot has cheezburger

• 301 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:50

Well I guess he beat this guy to it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20649021

#4 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,132 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:43

Needs to be 10x the size to be useful.

#5 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:45

Needs to be 10x the size to be useful.

Oi Genius, learn to read. This is a life size replica of noahs arc not some functional boat for moden day survival in the event of impending doom. :pinch:

#6 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,132 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:14

Oi Genius, learn to read. This is a life size replica of noahs arc not some functional boat for moden day survival in the event of impending doom. :pinch:

I can't tell if your been sarcastic :laugh: anyway, i mean it confirms that it didn't exist in the first place because it would have to be much bigger to actually do what it was supposed to have done.

#7 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,355 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:17

This is what happens in a country that legalizes weed (to an extent) kids! :p

#8 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,854 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:24

How'd they get the giraffe up the stairs ... ? :s

#9 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,153 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:27

It'll be 10x more awesome if it was nuclear powered. :D

#10 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:30

Huibers, a Christian, used books 6-9 of Genesis as his inspiration, following the instructions God gives Noah down to the last cubit.

Johan's Ark also contains a restaurant on the topmost level and a movie theater capable of seating 50 people.

I had no idea Noah had it so good! lol

#11 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

• 2,164 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 18:35

Isn't it written in the Bible that God would never destroy the world by water again? Isn't it also written that the next destruction would be by a cleansing flame?

And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. - Genesis 9:11

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. - 2 Peter 3:10

#12 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,153 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:41

Isn't it written in the Bible that God would never destroy the world by water again? Isn't it also written that the next destruction would be by a cleansing flame?

And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. - Genesis 9:11

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. - 2 Peter 3:10

I'm pretty sure he's just building it for fun. :p

#13 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 811 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:50

He finished it just in time for the 21st of December to roll round.

#14 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,335 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:02

How'd they get the giraffe up the stairs ... ? :s

It's a stuffed animal. Did you even read your OWN article? :p

#15 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,390 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:19

It seems as though the particularly fanatical are most in-tune with committing acts of sacrilege.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!