Photo

Can I get a old 2001 era notebook to connect to a WPA-PSK network?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 December 2012 - 23:18

My room mate still uses a old notebook for work, and it sucks having to drop down to WEP to allow him to connect each time. But it seems the notebook is so old It cannot connect to the network when I have WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] enabled, even though Windows XP recognizes it. If not, I'll have to look into a dual band router.

Either way, I am not sitting in the middle of the city running WEP. No siree.

#2 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:00

I'm sure it should be able to connect to a WPA2 network. What happens when he tries connecting to your network when you set security to WPA2 only? Does he get an error? I remember years ago when I had to install this optional update on my notebook running XP to connect to WPA2 my network: http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=1974

#3 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:02

It "sees" the network, but is unable to acquire an IP.

#4 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 December 2012 - 00:10

In my case, it hung during handshake until I installed the update in post #2. Give it a try. It might also be worthwhile checking the wireless chipset manufacturers website to see if there's a newer driver (use Aida64).

#5 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:36

Hello,

Would it be possible to install an 802.11n MiniPCI WWAN card in the notebook?

Another possibility might be to add a USB or CardBus 802.11n adapter to the notebook, if its internal WLAN cannot be upgraded to 802.11n.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

#6 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:04

have you tried WPA-Mixed with AES and PSK??

#7 Digitalfox

Digitalfox

Catch the fox, if you can...

• Phone: iPhone

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:32

You're absolutely right :o

In the middle of a city with thousands of people wanting to connect "freely" to Wifi, using WEP is like saying "Here have some Wifi, just search Google for Wizard WEP based Tools and use my Net".

I would check every day my router logs if I were you.

Good luck!

#8 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:43

My room mate still uses a old notebook for work, and it sucks having to drop down to WEP to allow him to connect each time. But it seems the notebook is so old It cannot connect to the network when I have WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] enabled, even though Windows XP recognizes it. If not, I'll have to look into a dual band router.

the simpleist way to solve this issue is for your friend to get him self a good usb wifi adapter wireless G type devices will support your routers setup.
make sure is a brand name like Netgear or edimx. if usb ports are an issue then im sure his laptop would have a PCMCIA card slot so again get a wireless G type card that will fit in the slot.

#9 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:03

I've seen plenty of old laptops which the latest updates that Support WPA/WPA2 in XP but the hardware just can't connect to it even if it sees it. This is expected behaviour when it doesn't support it. The best hope of it connecting natively is WPA with TKIP, which is just as insecure as WEP (WPA with AES is secure enough). Best taking Aryeh's advice or even better yet, get a new laptop! That thing is old! time to let it go or just use a network cable instead.

#10 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:57

have you tried WPA-Mixed with AES and PSK??

Yes, and it didn't work.

@All: I might just have to purchase a dual band router since the laptop is a company owned laptop. I was hoping there was something I was missing in XP that I could toggle on, but it seems that isn't the case. :(

#11 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:05

and wow I thought my motorola barcode scanner I use for work had fitsy wifi!!!

#12 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:10

What about something like this? Says it has support for XP SP3 so it should be fine.

http://homestore.cis...id=CSE&src1=CSE

#13 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:45

get a miniusb wifi adapter. It should have the capability and driver support that you need to do what you want. you will need to have it support the os that is on that laptop.

#14 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 December 2012 - 15:51

Here's what I recommend, just get your roommate a new laptop. Like a 2011 Acer Aspire 5333. It works pretty good but it will work even better if you just get a disk for Windows 8 Pro. It works amazingly fast.

#15 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 93
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 16:07

"The best hope of it connecting natively is WPA with TKIP, which is just as insecure as WEP"

That is PURE freaking FUD!!! Are there attacks against TKIP sure - but they are not the sort of attacks that allow access to the network. Sorry but WPA tkip is vastly more secure than just WEP.

XP with the right service pack will support WPA/WPA2 but your problem is most likely his hardware. What is the actual wireless card that is in the laptop? 2001 - you sure its not just a B card? 802.11g did not come out until 2003 if I recall correctly, so if his hardware is from 2001 -- I would have to expect its only 802.11b -- yeah good luck getting that to support WPA even tkip, even if the OS supports it, no good if hardware does not.

The suggestion of getting a usb or even pcmicia wifi card is the best bet. You can find them for <$10 for sure!