speakers electrical noise bang

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

• 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:44

this has been going on for a while, but it's started to get a little worse.

i have some logitech z5500 speakers, when ever you turn something off in the same room the speakers emit a loud doof/bang noise, i have a few fluorescent lights for my reptiles, when i turn them off the speakers do the same thing. someone turns something on in the kitchen and the same thing happens.

the speakers are on a surge protector along with my computer and monitor.

anyone know what i can do to sort this out, or why it's happening?

#2 ITOps

ITOps

Neowinian

• 77 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:07

Sounds like interference to me, you may just have too much plugged in or the speaker wire is not insulated enough to cut down on the interference. Do you have the speakers plugged into an add-on soundcard? If not I would recommend plugging it into a add-on soundcard. Also make sure your power and speaker cables are not too close to each other as that can also cause interference if the cables are not all heavily shielded.

#3 OP roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

• 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11

it's not interference, it's more like a spike in the electric causing it when something is switched off,

#4 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,711 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:12

it's not interference, it's more like a spike in the electric causing it when something is switched off,

that's called interference

#5 OP roguekiller23231

roguekiller23231

Neowinian

• 181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:14

i mean it's not like the wires are picking up a signal through the wiring from things that are too close to it.

#6 killez

killez

Neowinian

• 69 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 4

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:34

It is still interference same thing happens with my cell phone and my logitech speakers. Regardless of where my phone is placed. Every device gives off a electricmagnetic field which will and does cause interference. You can get shielding that will reduce the interference or cancel it out all together. You can also reduce this by making sure your speaker wires are not run next to a power cable. Just like how in a car system installtion the power and RCA are run on on the right and left side to reduce alternator whine. Interference is a pain but can be corrected

#7 murr

murr

Neowin Subscriber

• 155 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:41

the interference everybody is talking about is called Electromagnetic Interference also known as Radio Frequency Interference. this could cause issues. but, you mention when an appliance is turned on in the kitchen you have this issue. unless your computer speakers or cables are located near your kitchen, i don't believe this would be your issue as an EMI Field caused by a home appliance wouldn't be large enough to affect other rooms. it is possible for an EMI field to affect an actual circuit but considering only your speakers are experiencing this issue, i doubt this is what is happening.

its possible you may have a bad ground on that circuit. can you run an extension cord from the speakers to a different circuit? then try turning on an appliance you know was causing the issue and test it.

if that doesn't correct your issue, its possible you might have a bad house ground. if that is the case, i would recommend calling in a licensed electrician to test the grounding points in your house. since you are experiencing this issue with multiple appliances, i suspect this is the culprit.

#8 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,893 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:53

Get your place rewired.

#9 ITOps

ITOps

Neowinian

• 77 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:35

Bad wiring also comes to mind, it may be a good thing you found out this issue sooner then later. Call a 'licensed' and 'bonded' electrician to come out and check the place for your own safety and others. Better to have this small issue of interference with your speakers then someone getting shocked or an electrical component getting fried.

#10 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:04

It does sound like bad wiring, but you never know.