Sir Paul McCartney to replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana reunion

Sir Paul McCartney to replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana reunion

Sir Paul McCartney will replace Kurt Cobain in a reunion of band Nirvana tonight.

McCartney will be supported by drummer Dave Grohl, bassist Krist Novoselic and unofficial fourth member Pat Smear for the 12.12.12 concert for victims of Hurricane Sandy.

It will be the first time the surviving members of the grunge band have played together in 20 years.

The outfit will not see Paul McCartney try his hand at classics Smells Like Teen Spirit or Lithium, however.

Instead, the four will play a new song at the New York charity concert.

The founding members have been secretly working on the track with Paul McCartney in a studio session after Sir Paul said he rang drummer Grohl, 43, who asked him to come along to ?jam with some mates?.

They were joined by Novoselic, 47, and guitarist Smear, 53, and McCartney suggested they ?just make something up?.

He told The Sun: ?I didn?t really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said ?Whoa? You guys haven?t played together for all that time?

?And somebody whispered to me ?That?s Nirvana. You?re Kurt.? I couldn?t believe it.?

Kurt Cobain committed suicide in 1994.

The Rolling Stones will also play at the 12.12.12 concert for victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Source: The Telegraph

:blink:

That's a bit of a misleading headline, isn't it? They're not playing Nirvana's music, they're playing something that the four of them put together. It's Nirvana's surviving members with Paul McCartney, it isn't McCartney replacing Kurt Cobain.

As long as they're not calling themselves Nirvana or playing Nirvana's music, I don't see a problem; however, I would probably have a bit of a problem with Paul McCartney being hired as the vocalist for an actual Nirvana reunion :p

As long as they're not calling themselves Nirvana or playing Nirvana's music, I don't see a problem; however, I would probably have a bit of a problem with Paul McCartney being hired as the vocalist for an actual Nirvana reunion :p

I have a problem with Paul McCartney being hired as a vocalist at all these days.

• Like 2

I have a problem with Paul McCartney being hired as a vocalist at all these days.

Totally agree, the guy is turning up to anything these days.

He's no where near as good as he used to be.

Paul was arguably the most talented member of the Beatles and wrote the best songs. Lennon's stuff was more artsy, unique most of the time. George's stuff was more straightforward in my opinion.

Paul fronting surviving Nirvana members, it's a Rage against the machine vs Audioslave sort of thing. Could be interesting.

Paul was arguably the most talented member of the Beatles and wrote the best songs. Lennon's stuff was more artsy, unique most of the time. George's stuff was more straightforward in my opinion.

Paul's songs were more pop oriented, and I didn't like them as well myself.But to say he was untalented as some have is probably untrue.