hdd

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 December 2012 - 21:11

you need to fix your mbr your system is saying 'i've got a hard drive here but how do I use it?' thats why it is hanging. You may have to hang this drive off another computer as a second drive if you have access to one or like suggested get a sata to usb connector to repair this....check this site out

http://www.partition...rebuild-mbr.htm

Thanks for that, checking it out now :)

Besides resetting BIOS, have you tried updating to the latest BIOS (you are 4 revisions behind lol)? Nothing in the official list of fixes but I personally always run the very latest BIOS builds for my systems as there are often unlisted changes. Lord knows it can't hurt your current situation.
http://www.asrock.co...ownload&os=BIOS

to be honest, I've never updated a BIOS in my life! I've never even really heard of it or knew you could!
I'll definitely give it a go :)
Although I suspect I have borked the mbr as others have said, its the most likely explanation.
Thanks for this though! Will update once I get my HDD fixed as I have nothing else to boot into at the moment that I can do this from.
I don't feel quite so bad about not knowing since the site does say dont update the BIOS on a system that is working fine

#17 OP Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:38

Starting to get somewhere now.
I found a windows 7 disk in my dads box for his laptop, however as you know when I try to boot from anything, I can with the HDD plugged in. So what I did was boot from CD, the second it got past POST, i plugged in my HDD.
And it worked! :) It booted into windows recovery and detected errors.
However, the auto fix wont fix them and when I went to details it says the action is "Partition table repair" however that fails.
I tried the bootsect repair but that gave the error "couldn't find system partition" although I do see the system reserved partition in cmd prompt.
That was because I used the command "bootsect /nt60 SYS". Using bootsect /nt60 all does do something.
However no fix yet

Scrap all that, going for a clean install. Screw it, could be here all night and day.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!