win8

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 December 2012 - 13:56

That's a bit risky isn't it? Surely they'll keep a record of who's called them and used the exploit?

yeah I'd say so, I wouldnt chance it but seems to be working for loads of people.
You don't actually talk to someone, its just a machine and you type in numbers the installer gives you.
I guess you could call with skype then they wouldn't have your number.
infact dont do that, MS own skype, theyll probably still know who you are lol.

I need win8 for my desktop, as someone already said its only £25, I'll just buy it. Its easier and less hassle and you dont need to worry about your pc suddenly stopping working.

#17 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:00

yeah I'd say so, I wouldnt chance it but seems to be working for loads of people.
You don't actually talk to someone, its just a machine and you type in numbers the installer gives you.
I guess you could call with skype then they wouldn't have your number.
infact dont do that, MS own skype, theyll probably still know who you are lol.

I need win8 for my desktop, as someone already said its only £25, I'll just buy it. Its easier and less hassle and you dont need to worry about your pc suddenly stopping working.

It may only be an upgrade, but you can use a couple tricks to install as full to avoid the whole game of re installing the old OS and then installing that over it. I frankly don't get why MS doesn't just get you to use your old product key before entering the new one.

#18 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:01

Win8 can be acquired legitimately for £25, I don't see how that's asking too much in the slightest!

My thoughts exactly.
Hardly worth the bother.

Unless of course these thieving little ****s have been pirating since before XP and genuinely do not have a legit Windows key and in that case, sod 'em :p

#19 AnotherITguy

AnotherITguy

Neowinian

• Phone: Iphone 5C 16GB

Posted 12 December 2012 - 14:02

and then we wonder why the copyright holders are ****ed

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 December 2012 - 23:54

Anyone surprised? It was only a matter of time before Microsoft would correct things.

It'll only be another matter of time before the hackers find a new hack.

#21 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:20

It'll only be another matter of time before the hackers find a new hack.

LOL, it didn't take long, people found that the loop-hole has not been completely patched.

But of course, it's not allowed to discuss on warez in Neowin.

#22 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 December 2012 - 00:37

Anyone surprised? It was only a matter of time before Microsoft would correct things.

And it's about time. But it's only time before the pirates find away around it and then MS will raise the prices on their software again and make us legit users pay for the thefts.

#23 Clifford Foster

Clifford Foster

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:41

Microsoft was aware of this flaw for months but didn't care. A Technet member reported it on their forum in August 2012. I don't recall the exact link for this thread. The guy was hoping that ''either Technet or MSDN administrators would get their act together''.

#24 ElliottLan

ElliottLan

one three three seven

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:58

Most likely Microsoft didn't care because you can activate for free using at least three other methods (so far anyway),

If I was them I would err on the side of caution so as not to cause problems for legitimate users.

#25 aionaddict

aionaddict

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:38

I admit I ordered a few extra WMC keys in case I felt like using this exploit but never got around to it. I already got my legit key Pro key from the upgrade promo anyway and could care less about the media center features.