Photo

Crytek CEO: "Crysis 3 maxes out consoles''

gaming consoles crysis 3

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_xiphi_*

Guest_xiphi_*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:12

While RAGE did look good... from a distance. It's when you came up close to objects that weren't NPC's is when the ugly came out. Graphics weren't horrible overall, but it was weird to have such a beautiful yet ugly game. It was made even worse by the fact that when you did a 180, the environments and objects had to be textured. I had never seen that in a game before, and thought it was tacky.

#17 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,337 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:43

I need it for 7.

Plus, how am I going to run DX11 on a dx10 card :s ?

Windows 7 comes with DX11. Also I don't believe its possible to run DX11 on a DX10 card.

Yup

What was the last ATI cards not supporting at least Directx 10 ? The Radeon 9xxx family ? Those cards can't really play newer games anyway.

Almost. It was 2 after that..the Radeon X1k series was the last to support only DX9.

#18 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,123 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:14

I suppose this fool never heard of Rage or id Software. Rage and id Tech 5 got the most out of the consoles by making the game look great and running at 60 frames per second.

You're joking, right? Of course RAGE ran at 60fps - it didn't have dynamic lighting or dynamic skies, it had low resolution textures (just a huge amount of them), it had minimal physics, it used 2D sprites for vegetation and it had incredibly low polygon counts. And all those screenshots were taken at maximum settings. RAGE is the perfect example of what not to do with engine design and that's without even getting into the terrible gameplay.

#19 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,576 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:20

Really?

Crytek, we don't care. Max it out to PC hardware and then come brag again.

No 64 bit exe? Gtfo with "it'll melt your PC".

#20 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

• 3,900 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:27

There's a way to install DX 11 on vista (no hacking required)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3585

They buried it in this update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971644

Haha it was a blast to read the comments on the Anandtech article. "Windows 7 sucks I'm not upgrading! I'm sticking with Vista/XP!!!" Sounds very familiar.

#21 +sanke1

sanke1

• 2,879 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42

Whether it maxes ancient hardware or not, I can't wait to play on PC.

#22 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:17

I hope it does push the limits like the original one did. Which will be highly unlikely, but still, I hope :pinch:

#23 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,926 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 24 December 2012 - 00:32

Doesn't mean games can't get better. It just means the engine is maxing the console out, refinements to the engine could still be made and result in a better looking game. I mean the original Crysis couldn't run on consoles, the engine wasn't refined enough, but then they put it on the new Engine for Crysis 2 and suddenly Crysis works on consoles. Someone could make a horrendous looking game with an inefficient engine and still claim to have maxed out consoles.

#24 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,610 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:13

Who cares? The gameplay is still the same old thing & the artstyle doesn't appeal to me at all.

#25 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:20

Who cares? The gameplay is still the same old thing & the artstyle doesn't appeal to me at all.

I do.

At least its not that same old %&^*)*(& Call of Duty

#26 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:27

I do.

At least its not that same old %&^*)*(& Call of Duty

not really any different. Both games are just generic shooters with a single player element that is only used to teach you controls for multiplayer. That's why most shooter game single player can be finished in a day or 2 on hard.

#27 Guest_xiphi_*

Guest_xiphi_*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:29

Except the SP for CoD sucks. Period.

#28 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,308 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:30

Wait DX11 doesn't run on DX10 GPUs? I am pretty sure that is incorrect.
I mean there is software and hardware DX support.

Yeah, an app can use DX11 on a DX10 card, they just won't get any DX11 hardware features (Which is just tessellation and GPGPU support from what I can see)

Crysis 3 will most definitely use tessellation, but if they're smart it should also run without H/W support (Just like with Crysis 2, you could turn it on/off)

#29 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,819 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 22:30

While RAGE did look good... from a distance. It's when you came up close to objects that weren't NPC's is when the ugly came out. Graphics weren't horrible overall, but it was weird to have such a beautiful yet ugly game. It was made even worse by the fact that when you did a 180, the environments and objects had to be textured. I had never seen that in a game before, and thought it was tacky.

Yeah, rage had some major technical faults, cryengine is way better than idtech at this point.